The Androgynous Look

Sammie

I almost forgot JD Samson! I got compared to her yesterday by a boy who looked like Brian Molko.

onlinespot.jpg

jdbeach.jpg

I had Brian Viglione of the Dresden Dolls filed under "androgynous", but I wonder if I was confusing it with "hot". Still, there are photos like this:

2392727991_33e4e4e0ab_o.jpg

Goonie looks fabulous! I love the grunge flannel in the 2nd photo (seriously, one of the few things I didn't hate about high school).

You know.. it wasn't until I got my hair cut and saw the pictures that I realize why everyone pegged me as being gay

eh to each their own

I likes your hair dude.

i do like the androgynous look. personlly i would love to be able to pull it off, however im large and have big boobs so i would never be able to do that. i just look butch! i have been asked or assumed i was male even up to a few months ago when i was shopping in zavvi and the checkout guy called me 'dude' i said excuse me and he said 'oh sorry'!

now ive added to that yesterday getting my long hair undercut.

the only pics i have of me are on my facebook page and myspace.

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=30042&id=672376269

www.myspace.com/carrie666

if any of you add me to either tell me your from here.

Zomg! Now I want to jump on the bandwagon and post my pics too XD

Here is the evolution of my hair. I happen to look androgynous most of the time:

l33toldhair.jpg

goraxkane.jpg

bluegel.jpg

kittyshoulder.jpg

gothomg.jpg

Picture28.jpg

Now I don't have hair anymore. I'll try to take a pic later if I go out.

the Lady Ashuko

I have a body well suited to androgyny:

108.jpg

But I have a hard time thinking that my face is. Considering how often I've been mistaken for a guy in the past, maybe it's not that farfetched

P6291890a.jpg

the Lady Ashuko

During my last trip to Japan a guy in my neighborhood invited me to try Japanese swords. It's not like kendo where you use a wooden practice sword, but I don't know what it is called. (and they tied the belt so tight I could barely breathe--THEN they shoved the sheath in as well!! >o<)

Gorax! Good to see pics of you again.

akaibara - was it called iaido?

Amcan - 'Tis good to be posting more again :D I should be working but...screw it!

AimeendFire - I was thinking of growing the horns back, actually. My parents would hate it, but oh well XD (Yeah... I still live with my parents at 26. Saves tons for university *L*)

Akaibara, I have the opposite problem to you. I have a very 'square', masculine face, but a distinctly feminine body. I think it would be possible for me to pull off an androgynous look if I cut my hair short and wear loose clothing. However, every time I've cut my hair short, I've regretted it. I love having long hair too much to cut it short. C'est la vie!

Gorax, you are one of the most androgynous people I have ever seen. If I didn't already know your sex, I wouldn't be able to tell from your pics.

Seien Hananosei

Hm... I've had my gender mistaken on a few occasions. ^^ I also prefer androgynous clothing, because girls clothes just generally suck. They aren't useful most of the time, and their pockets are so darned small that you can't fit anything in them. -_-

100_4991.jpg

100_4999.jpg

((My hair is shorter now, but I can't find my camera... T_T ))

I don't like most androgyny in asian popculture. Its so extremely overdone. Style taken to the weird and extreme. I don't find that beautiful at all. I prefer the sort of androgyny when a person looks very close to completely normal, and you normally wouldn't think of him/her as special.

I tend to agree with you Sammie. While I think makeup and outrageous clothing are fine on stage (after all, it is about getting attention), I don't find it so appealing when day to day life looks like a performance. You have to wonder what is underneath the makeup. Or, well, that's kind of my take.

Here are some pics of the lead singer for a chinese visual kei band (silver ash) - with and without makeup. Actually in one of the interviews, he said he's often mistaken to be a girl. One time, it happened when he had to use the public washroom. Someone told him he was going into the wrong washroom (and he was not wearing makeup at the time).

ling88.jpgling888.jpg

lingw2.jpg

Personally, I can't do the adrogynous look - I like wearing skirts, dresses, handbgs and heels too much. :D

the Lady Ashuko

^believe it or not, I'm been mistaken while wearing a skirt AND make-up!

You know, I love Danny Noriega so much and it didn't even occur to me that he could be considered androgynous.

16j1zjc.jpg

and back when he dressed like this... :lol:

2qkv0op.jpg

I just did that now.

Archived