The Androgynous Look

Sammie

If I like a piece of clothing, I'll wear it, regardless if it's designed for men or women.

I bought some pants for work awhile ago. One pair of guys dickies and pair of womens pants. I wondered why it was so much more awkward to button the women's pants then I realized-its from the years and years of wearing men's clothes from thrift shops. Anyway, I've been getting my hair cut shorter and shorter since my ex and I split. I told him i like androgyny, but he liked the long hair girly look so I kept it to my shoulders. So its short in the back and to my ears now and dyed a dark brown-my co-worker said I'm looking more and more like "the man" I asked who she meant and she said "Crispin Glover" By the way-I absolutely love Crispin Glover-so I took it as a huge compliment.

Maybe one day I find a way to upload pictures...

Jesterday I got tired of trying on jet another great boyish looking shirt only to discover that it had cleavage :angry: so I went to the boys department and bought a shirt there. Got my some really weird stares and the sales lady looked at my like she had some moral problem selling me clothes. Well, I bought a shirt there anyway.

Now I'm working up the nerve to actually wear it. Its nothing like my usual style and it makes me look sooooo boyish. I'm a little scared what people will say. I'm thinking of keeping it hidden until summer, when I go traveling. It'll be much easier to wear it around people who haven't known me for years.

update.. I wore the shirt a couple of times now and didn't get any negative reactions. But then, I got no reactions at all. I'm not sure if that's because people didn't like it or because they didn't notice the change of style. I feel great wearing boyish clothes though. As if I'm leaving my 'girly'-costume at home for a change. (Ok, that is way overstated. I never dressed that girly anyway. But.. well, you know.)

And no worries about cleavage, skirts, tops that are to tight and clothes that are so worthless they were made to be worn only one or two weeks.

Ohh, nice haircut, EGD!

I'm going to shave your head the next time you're down in the Missouri, though. :twisted:

Ohh, nice haircut, EGD!

I'm going to shave your head the next time you're down in the Missouri, though. :twisted:

Ooh steamroller/slumber party? I'll get my head shaved... you'll get your p*b*s bleached... paint Eliot's nails black... and to top it all off we'll all watch, "What about Bob?" .... Sounds absolutely lovely...:twisted:

oh and here's Peter Murphy...

peter-murphy.jpg

:excl::blink: :blink: :wacko::blink::huh: :o :o :o

Well I think that, in addition to my hookah induced nausea and that creepy IM conversation, you just caused me to puke all over my desk. And my bag of Cheeto's.

This thread has made me realise that the androgynous look must be something I find attractive, cos nearly all the people i've had a bit of a thing for are in it!!! Haha... Ellen Page, Clea Duvall, Tegan+Sara, SHANE... My first little celebrity 'crush' (or whatever you want to call it) was on Alex Parks hahaha, oh the shame. But here she is:

264.jpg

(This is the most feminine ive seen her dress actually...couldnt find many photos of her)

AlexParks.jpg

Loving the Devendra Banhart inclusion hahahaha

oh I cut my hair tonight...

boyhair.jpg

(thought I might as well go post it over here as well--vain vain vain I know--but I am very proud of this pic)

Ooooh nice haircut.

Dame du Lac
I also used to have this thing for Clea Duvall...

clea_duvall.jpg ... cleaduvall.jpg

Oh its Sophie from Carnivale! She's pretty androgynous in that too.

Ooh steamroller/slumber party? I'll get my head shaved... you'll get your p*b*s bleached... paint Eliot's nails black... and to top it all off we'll all watch, "What about Bob?" .... Sounds absolutely lovely...:twisted:

Ooh, can we do my toenails too? They need it desperately if I'm going to flounce about barefoot all summer!

:excl::blink: :blink: :wacko::blink::huh: :o :o :o

Well I think that, in addition to my hookah induced nausea and that creepy IM conversation, you just caused me to puke all over my desk. And my bag of Cheeto's.

This is what you get for Hookah-ing without me. I'll excuse your punctuation faux-pas since you just allegedly puked (seriously, though, am I still the only one to puke after that?), but you're on notice until you redeem yourself.

David Bowie

:wub:

Malice_Mizer_-_Au_Revoir_01.jpg

Does anyone like Malice Mizer? There's a little androgyny there, I guess it does border on cross-dressing, but I think they pull it of well.

2007-02-02moidixmois.jpg

ville_valo--large-msg-120511348267.jpg

How have we not mentioned Ville Valo of the band H.I.M.?

Ville looks like Cillian Murphy:

cillian-murphy-picture-1.jpg48cover4_story.gif

pretty%20cillian.jpg

How have we not mentioned Ville Valo of the band H.I.M.?

Ville looks like Cillian Murphy

Not quite so much in his other pictures, but I can't argue the likeness of those. Good eye :)

*bumps*

Just cuz I like the thread so much. ;)

*bumps*

Just cuz I like the thread so much. ;)

I find this thread to bounce between amusing, intriguing, and sometimes creepy, just because I'm not at all used to androgyny.

I do appreciate the chance to look at myself and my reactions though, it's almost like a psychological experiment on myself in that way, and I'd like to think it's normalizing something that's out of the ordinary for me :)

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF J-ROCK AND IS THEREFORE MADE OF WIN!

Have some Tokio Hotel!

q12-Tokio-Hotel.jpg

Tokio-Hotel-ta03.jpg

527699069.jpg

bill-kaulitz.jpg

I want to adopt him. He's so adorable. :<

THIS THREAD IS FULL OF J-ROCK AND IS THEREFORE MADE OF WIN!

Have some Tokio Hotel!

527699069.jpg

I want to adopt him. He's so adorable. :<

Knowing nothing about J-rock, my first thought was: He? looks like I guessed wrong.

Of course the truly androgynous person makes you guess wrong half the time if you try to guess. I should stop guessing and just think 's/he'.

How about the classic, Hillary Swank in "Boys Don't Cry":

swank.jpg

And, my personal favourite; the one and only Cliff Richard, who looked very androgynous indeed, in his early years:

vlcsnap-7797361.png

I scanned through and didn't see Nancy Kulp. (Sorry if she's already been posted.) She's best known for her roles in The Beverly Hillbillies (one of my faves) and if you're a disney fan, like me, The Parent Trap.

nancykulpga0.jpg

Just have to mention that Jaye Davidson is one of the most beautiful people in the entire world. Loved him in Stargate. :wub:

I officially LOVE this thread. While I myself am not very androgynous (I'm a girl who wears a lot of guy-style clothes because they're more comfortable, but I have long hair and people assure me I look female even though I don't wear makeup) I definitely have a thing for androgyny on other people. I tend to prefer pretty, "feminine" natural features but cool, "masculine" style. Haha, nice to see so much Asian pop culture love in here... Gackt, Hyde, Lee Jun Ki, and Jae Joong were all already posted so I guess I don't have to do it myself. Same with Brian Molko (from the band Placebo) and Kate Moennig (Shane from The L Word). Someone even posted a "Guess the Gender" game!! I have one somewhere, but it doesn't have as many people on it.

I think the singer P!NK qualifies as pretty androgynous sometimes.

PINK2.jpg

PNK196.jpg

PNK151.jpg

PNK137.jpg

This one's big so I'll just post the link:

big P!NK picture

It's really strange; despite the whole asexuality thing, I do think of such women (P!NK & Kate Moennig) as "sexy."

I had never seen pictures of the Tokio Hotel members before! OMG, that guy is GORGEOUS.

I'm not sure if someone already posted this, but just in case: music video for "Androgyny" by Garbage

Archived