The Androgynous Look

Sammie

Yeah, origin of love is one of the most beautiful songs ever,

And in the movie, Hedwig's sidekick Yitzhak: yitzhak.jpg

Is played by Miriam Shor: miriam-shor.thumbnail.jpg

Wow, I had no idea!!!!!! You'd never guess!

i LOVE the androgynous look. if you guys haven't already,

go check out the Androgyny Magazine. http://www.androgynymag.co.uk/index.html

and who could forget the gorgeous Omahyra Mota???

OmahyraMota_1.jpg

i suppose i could consider myself sudo androgynous at times, but for the most part i look like a guy.. lol

6ee963b6-23fa-48d4-b865-ef3bdb5d7e6.jpg

20080623.jpg

What they did was a demonstration as to how STD's spread. So they gave out cards with numbers, one colour to girls and another colour to guys. They called numbers out and paired people up to show some sort of chain effect of STD infection rates and I was like, the last person sitting down...because I wasn't given a card :P The health lecturers couldn't decide what gender I was, and then when I was sitting all alone, one of them thought I was a guy and asked why I hadn't been given one. A secretary from the school had to step in and correct them while I just sat and laughed. My friends were more embarressed than I was.

And yes I do get stared at! lol, its creepy but I can just ignore it now. If kids start giving you constant stares, I just glare back at them and they soon stop :P But yeah it's something you have to get used to if you like to keep them guessing about your gender.

Couldn't agree more with your last quote - there has to be SOME people who break the norms and put a little diversity into our existence, otherwise, what a dull world this would surely be!

Oh, that makes more sense now lol I thought for a moment you had to do some weird demonstration or something. I think in that situation it seems less rude to actually have been asked my gender, though knowing me I probably would have played on it to keep them guessing :P

Haha, ok - I'll try that next time a kid stares... unless I get hit by a mother's purse or something lol

By the way, did I tell you that project picture you posted earlier is pretty awesome? It has a great blue tint to it that gives it a sense of peace, but fierceness at the same time... did you get graded on it? and what program did you use? (sorry lol being a graphics designer I get really curious about these things~)

---

adiaphora, has anyone ever told you you look like Matthew Bellamy, the lead singer of Muse?

---

I think Tuxedos are a great icon for Androgynous fashion, they just seem to work really well:

vogueit11978il4.jpg

I want this hair!:

04mon7.jpg

Both of those images came from this Blog: Queens of androgyny

The Visual Kei movement which was touched upon earlier in the thread can very typically include a more Androgynous style, Dir en Grey, Gackt (OT: 'Birdcage' is an awesome song!) and Psycho le Cému being a few of my favourites. The latter band I swear have some of the most fantastic, colourful and original costumes:

psycholecemubyjeidoju5.jpg

And of course, there's the earlier Malice Mizer look:

malicemizergj9.jpg

Pirates, FTW!

So many great pictures and links! I don't know where to begin commenting on them, they're all so awesome.

Tuxedos sure look amazing on men, women and especially on all in between.

Jesterday I got tired of trying on jet another great boyish looking shirt only to discover that it had cleavage :angry: so I went to the boys department and bought a shirt there. Got my some really weird stares and the sales lady looked at my like she had some moral problem selling me clothes. Well, I bought a shirt there anyway.

Now I'm working up the nerve to actually wear it. Its nothing like my usual style and it makes me look sooooo boyish. I'm a little scared what people will say. I'm thinking of keeping it hidden until summer, when I go traveling. It'll be much easier to wear it around people who haven't known me for years.

Yay. :) I hope that you get to wear it soon. That sounds soo cool. 8)

Jesterday I got tired of trying on jet another great boyish looking shirt only to discover that it had cleavage :angry: so I went to the boys department and bought a shirt there. Got my some really weird stares and the sales lady looked at my like she had some moral problem selling me clothes. Well, I bought a shirt there anyway.

Now I'm working up the nerve to actually wear it. Its nothing like my usual style and it makes me look sooooo boyish. I'm a little scared what people will say. I'm thinking of keeping it hidden until summer, when I go traveling. It'll be much easier to wear it around people who haven't known me for years.

I know what that's like. Trying to shop for the type of shirts I like (Normal shirts!) in the women's clothing departments is hopeless. Women's sizes fit me better, but with women's clothes it often feels like you're only getting half of what you paid for because of the skimpynes. Shirts are too tight in places, they have wavy designs that come up too much and don't get me started on the sparkly, dangling things known as clothing accessories that I personally dislike and have failed to find a purpose for. lol The worst thing though? oh yes, that hidden cleavage of doom!

Well, this is officially my favourite thread on this board thus far. It's not often I get to talk about such a huge part of my lifestyle. Thank you for deciding to post this, Sammie.

ratatosk_lemur
Women's sizes fit me better, but with women's clothes it often feels like you're only getting half of what you paid for because of the skimpyness.

I have a friend who ended up buying a boy's pair of swimtrunks and a surfing shirt after concluding that all the female swimsuits she could find were designed to make sure the wearer looked more naked than if she just wasn't wearing clothes.

Women's sizes fit me better, but with women's clothes it often feels like you're only getting half of what you paid for because of the skimpyness.

I have a friend who ended up buying a boy's pair of swimtrunks and a surfing shirt after concluding that all the female swimsuits she could find were designed to make sure the wearer looked more naked than if she just wasn't wearing clothes.

This, is so very true and a big part of why I don't really like swimming. In fact, the last time I ever remember swimming was when I was around 12. I just wore shorts and a T-Shirt but it was my grandmother's friend's pool anyway.

I'll do anything to get out of wearing uncomfortable clothes. When I was at highschool, the first week they introduced trousers for girls I bought some and never went back.

I think sometimes, I must look like I didn't know what I was thinking when I got dressed, because I have a mix of men's clothes like my skater trainers, women's clothes like the tops that fit me, men's jeans and sometimes children's sized clothes. I hardly ever wear a whole set of clothes specifically for one gender.

Damn it, an Androgynous clothes store would be SO helpful in this world. Maybe I was born on the wrong planet. :P

ratatosk_lemur

This, is so very true and a big part of why I don't really like swimming. In fact, the last time I ever remember swimming was when I was around 12. I just wore shorts and a T-Shirt but it was my grandmother's friend's pool anyway.

The reason I don't really like swimming is that I'm expected to go topless, so discovering surfing shirts was quite nice. I imagine observers must be amused that we have identical swimsuits.

More androgynous folk from google:

hm1.jpg

androgyne_theater.jpg

R0091753.jpg

R0083956.jpg

IMG_0674.jpg

And this was just funny:

IMG_0652.jpg

Oh, yeah:

Cillian Murphy

220px-Cillian_Murphy_-_Brkft_on_Pluto.jpg

That's Cillian Murphy? I love him even more now.

There also appears to be a limit on how many pics can be put in a single post so sorry for the double but I have more androgyny to share.

6lrdag.jpg

3onsdag.jpg

1mandag-1.jpg

20070815_02.jpg

15thStw.jpg

00030m.jpg

oooooooooooooo... all the great pictures. :wub:

I know what that's like. Trying to shop for the type of shirts I like (Normal shirts!) in the women's clothing departments is hopeless. Women's sizes fit me better, but with women's clothes it often feels like you're only getting half of what you paid for because of the skimpynes. Shirts are too tight in places, they have wavy designs that come up too much and don't get me started on the sparkly, dangling things known as clothing accessories that I personally dislike and have failed to find a purpose for. lol The worst thing though? oh yes, that hidden cleavage of doom!

Absolutely, and don't forget the worthless fabric, because 'women just get new clothes every 2 months' right? So we don't need to sell quality. the worst off all are of course shoes.

Mens shoes are great because:

- You can walk on them without stumbling

- They cover more then just the bottom of your feet, even during the summer

- They don't have glitter and ribbons

- They were made to last longer then a month, and have decend soles.

- They have room for 5 toes, in each shoe!!!!

Well, this is officially my favourite thread on this board thus far. It's not often I get to talk about such a huge part of my lifestyle. Thank you for deciding to post this, Sammie.

Thanks. I really love the way this thread is developing. So the thanks is for to all the people posting. :cake: for all.

That is such a great idea!!!

*sneaks over to the boys department of swimwear*.

O, and look, a pocket in front to keep my keys with me, how convenient!... o no wait... that's not what that room in the front is for.

A beloved androgynous couple:

0,,6000340,00.jpg060727johnandyoko.jpg

10202801-10202807-slarge.jpg

A friend of mine commented shortly after that Rolling Stone issue was printed, that, gosh, Yoko and John now look alike, as if that were a bad thing. I did not think so and always adored them. We know what happened shortly after that, and it hurt us a lot. I was living in a commune at the time (1980, wow, so late in the era) called "the Orange House" in Houston. As our band was rehersing, the back door opened by itself. Some people thought that John had walk in on us. How silly. We learned an hour later what had happened. I still think that their visions were silly, but it did hurt deeply to learn.

This androgyny thread has brought back so many memories. I and my brother were so androgynous in the 1970's that people had to ask whether we were boys or girls.

I hope to dig up and post some pics from my High School days. I was such a rebel and dressed the way that I wanted, and (due to Title IX) took both boy's and girl's PE in High School in alternate years.

*hugs all*

Y'know, I've been told I resemble John Lennon ... maybe I have some hope for androgyny yet. Though, admittedly it was only once and most people don't see it. (and that Rolling Stones cover? Best picture I've seen of any couple, anyone know who did the posing and photography on that?)

Anyway, has anyone posted a pic of Oscar Wilde yet? I'd turn sexual for Oscar Wilde.

Oscar_Wilde.jpg

Kadaj :P

*swoons* omg Kadaj yes he is very androgynous! And dun forget his brother Yazoo!

Yazoo01.JPG

KellyKelly,

Speaking of couples, I forgot about Genesis and Lady Jaye Breyer P Orridge. Talk about your serious commitment to androgyny!

1266.jpg

There's an article about them here.

(I should add that unfortunately, Lady Jaye passed away recently from an undiagnosed heart condition.)

That is a remarkable story.

I'm not that enthousiastic about people redesigning their bodies in such an extreme way. Not when they can make do and be happy in the body they have. Gender change is an entirely differen thing all together of course.

I liked the article though, well written, nice quotations.

"it's one of those strange paradoxes that humans en masse can be so depressing, so disappointing in their behaviour and yet they’re also wonderful and miraculous and fascinating and well worth preserving.”

Youtube video:

I'm not that enthousiastic about people redesigning their bodies in such an extreme way. Not when they can make do and be happy in the body they have.

Yeah, it's not really something I would do, or something I would want everybody to do. But it seems like a fine thing for a small number of individuals who are passionate about it. I think the world is better for having the Breyer P Orridge project in it, but maybe could do with fewer breast implants overall.

I think the androgynous look can be quite pretty, but could never pull it off myself... Though I often buy men's clothes certain attributes assert themselves no matter what...

tyvm! :P A lot of my friends are graphic designers/photographers and I sort of got into the scene and started doing my own work, so nah, it wasn't graded, but more just a little something to fill up my spare time with and see where I got with it. I'd been asked to do a lot of stuff with other peoples pictures in the past and wanted to try it out on one of my own :) And I used good ol' photoshop. Haha the fun I've had with some of the stuff that program can do...

You're welcome. :P Ah yes, Photoshop (where would I be without you?) I honestly don't want to know just how many hours I've spent messing around on it lol. But yes, the extent of what you can do with it is quite remarkable. And photo manips and animation, (sometimes both!) are just too much fun...

TFP, that second pic you posted is rather intreaging, makes me curious what it's about. An art project, perhaps? Looks like much green paint. Beautiful capture though.

Absolutely, and don't forget the worthless fabric, because 'women just get new clothes every 2 months' right? So we don't need to sell quality. the worst off all are of course shoes.

Too true, the amount of clothes I've ripped/worn out because of lower quality is ridiculous. I think I've only ever worn men's shoes except for school shoes, man were they uncomfortable or what... :/ I liked P.E class so I could take a break wearing my trainers for a while.

I'm generally an active person and you just can't run properly in women's shoes.

---

Just found a picture of what I consider to be a perfect body shape... Contains nudity but, well it's just a model and you can't really see anything, which would be why it's perfect to me :)

http://www.pbase.com/erinsensei/image/86675451

(fixed link!)

I'd give a lot if it were easy to become more like this, though I consider myself very lucky as an Ectomorph not being far from it.

Ain't that the truth.

I bought men's boots/lace ups for years Women's were PINK. Always BLOODY PINK. I hate pink. Always have. Not because it's a 'girly' color, just because it looks AWFUL on me. Go find men's shoes, get a seven, dance happily down the street. YAY!

Archived