an unintentional asexuality article

--------------------------

That's a little scary, actually. What did they think was required? I mean, sex apparently isn't intuitive (I certainly never would have thought up the concept), but I think it's a little frightening that they are so uneducated about the human life cycle and where babies come from.

Even if you have no intent to use such information in your own life, it's still important that you know about what people do, how they do it, and why.

EDIT: As a sidenote, I would be more like to call this a case of "accidental" celibacy. However, I think it raises an interesting question of how innate sex is. If they didn't know about it, did they still have some urges for it, feelings that they didn't understand? Did they ever touch themselves and want someone else to touch them that way? (Sorry if that's a disturbing visual to some.) Do they have any desire for it now that they know how it's supposed to work? I wonder.

Cate Perfect

I wonder if they were as disbelieving the first time someone explained to them how it worked.

LilCate: You're making that up! Why would anyone want to do that?

Cate

VivreEstEsperer

I can't get my mind around that.

How is it possible to grow up without knowing what sex is? Even if your parents and school never teach it, the popular culture is just full of so much references to it....

you'd have to be REALLY, REALLY secluded to grow up not knowing that sex=babies.

I mean, I'm asexual and really naive, but I can still remember from an early age being aware that there was this thing called sex that people did with each other and that's where babies came from. I don't even remember where I learned it, although that would certainly be interesting to know. I don't recall any particular talk my parents had with me. It just seems like something you pick up. Can anyone else remember where/how they learned the sex=babies and babies=sex connection?

whole thing is quite ehh interesting..

Kate

Cate Perfect

I can believe it if they were very religious and grew up without popular culture around them. My brother and his wife home school their kids and they don't have tv and don't watch movies. The kids only know what their parents tell them. I do have a difficult time with the fact that the couple in the article were over 30 and still hadn't heard of it. I suppose they've never left the society they were brought up in.

Cate

Live R Perfect

Wow, that is quite amazing....and very funny with it! Good questions though, Julie - its a pity the article didn't go into a little more depth and attempt to answer them. Hmmm... so they thought that being married was all it took for a woman to become pregnant? Tee-hee... :lol:

Cate Perfect

I know, Liver, that amused me, as well. I suppose they'd never met an unmarried person with a child if they lived in such a secluded, religious atmosphere.

Cate

wow, what i find incredible is that they went through all the tests and _then_ someone thought to ask them how often they had sex... rather than when they first presented with their "problem"

I also find it amazing that someone could be that uninformed, isnt sex even mentioned in the bible?

Cate Perfect

It's always 'knew her' or 'lay with him'. Always a euphemism. Hell, even 'knowing someone in the Biblical sense' is a euphemism for it. I don't think there's blatant sex (Song of Solomon excepted) in the Bible. Unless I just don't recall it.

Cate

Even if it seems very unbelievable, I can still vaguely see this happening. (Well, I suppose because it did happen.) That's crazy - I always thought sex was instinctual.

I expect one of their friends, upon learning that they hadn't had a child after six years, directed them there.

I think I saw something about this once.. another couple. I forget where. The doctor had to teach them using those anatomically correct dolls.

VivreEstEsperer

ohh, woah. that'd be a bit embarassing for him. wild.

hmm..i'd love to hear their reaction the first time they tried it...if they're asexual theyd be like "ick! that was awful!" but most likely they're not.

EDIT: As a sidenote, I would be more like to call this a case of "accidental" celibacy. However, I think it raises an interesting question of how innate sex is. If they didn't know about it, did they still have some urges for it, feelings that they didn't understand? Did they ever touch themselves and want someone else to touch them that way? (Sorry if that's a disturbing visual to some.) Do they have any desire for it now that they know how it's supposed to work? I wonder.

Yeah, when I read this, it made me think that maybe this idea of an innate sex drive is just a cultural construct. ThereĀ“s probably going to be a lot of studies on this...

I can't believe this is the natural state. It doesn't make any sense to me that the one thing we're really designed to do isn't instinctive. In animal structures, where recreational sex does not exist, creatures know how to mate without ever seeing it done. (Don't they?) The earthworm is unlikely to meet more than one other earthworm in its life (despite what a rainy day might suggest), but when it does, it knows exactly what to do.

I don't doubt the authenticity of the article, but I'm sure this is an anomaly.

Archived