study: Uncommon Lives: Gay Men and Straight Women.

jitterbugg

A few weeks ago I was reorganizing our bookshelf at work (a Women and Gender Studies Resource Center) and I found a book called Uncommon Lives: Gay Men and Straight Women. by Catherine Whitney.

From the back cover:

"The most comprehensive study of gay/straight relationships to date, Uncommon Lives shatters our most commonly held myths about the sexual practices, depth of commitment, and motivations of gay men and straight women who have chosen to pursue very unconventional relationships. Based on in-depth interviews and a national survey, this insightful book takes a provocative look at people who are committed friends; who are couples sharing everything but sex; and those who are choosing marriage in order to raise a family, buy a home, grow old together. The author describes how these uncommon couples face reactions from friends and families... the way they cope with the thread of AIDS... and the emotional dynamics that bring them together in deeply committed relationships. A compassionate yet clear-eyed view of the alternative family life-styles being lived by thousands of Americans, Uncommon Lives ins valuable reading for anyone interested in the choices- made in the name of love- that are available to us all."

This might be hitting a bit close to home especially for me, as I'm currently in a very relationshipesque-but-not-really-thing with my best friend who's gay, but there were themes in there that really resonated with me as a nonsexual person! I've since read a good 1/3 of it, and it has it's flaws. It's from 1990, but I totally took it because it's so ahead of it's time and I didn't know that this book existed. :) It's been an overwhelmingly positive reading experience! Here's the amazon link for it ( http://www.amazon.com/Uncommon-Lives-Cathe...y/dp/0452265908 ), but I disagree with some of the negative ratings. It seems less about bisexuality and more about living creatively. :)

So... voila! know that this exists! check it out? It's really interesting! :)

Dame du Lac

That sounds really interesting; I'll check it out the next time I cave into a book buying spree.

Thanks!

I wish I did not just place a huge book order. I would of picked that up for sure if B&N had a copy. I will probably pick it up soon, as it seems very itneresting. Thanks for the heads up.

Dame du Lac

Okay, two days and I've already given in and ordered the book. I have no self-discipline.

Archived