• Well-off
    • Rich
    • Really rich
    • Sky's the limit

This poll is closed to new votes

Asset rich, but income poor.

-GB

Throne Eins

I judge economic status by the ability to support oneself independently. With that being said, I'm poor. If I didn't have my family, I'd of been on the streets a long time ago. My income (when I could work, heh) looked good on paper, but it wouldn't even pay for a studio apartment in a non crime-ridden area.

asexysjsfan

I voted "Skys the limit"... I'm not personally rich (I have very little money actually) but I'm still a dependent... and daddy's very "well off" :D.. Ya I'm a rich white boy.

I think a correlation with money is BS though... if anything asexuals would be better off because they would work harder and spend less of it.

Throne Eins
if anything asexuals would be better off because they would work harder and spend less of it.

That's interesting. What makes you think that?

/not snarking...is genuinely curious

I'm a grad student, and I'm poor.

It's not a bad thing at all. I've never been happier.

asexysjsfan
if anything asexuals would be better off because they would work harder and spend less of it.

That's interesting. What makes you think that?

/not snarking...is genuinely curious

Well one of my main goals in life is to be successful. Personally, I think my asexuality may free some of the chains that sexual people have (fulfilling their sexual needs and kids for example). During college, a heterosexual couple may "make a mistake" and get pregnant, which will certainly affect their ability to finish their college careers. Furthermore, as an asexual I don't spend time and money "chasing girls" on dates to spend money on them.

When it comes down to it, it depends how motivated the individual is. But I do feel I'm a little more predisposed and goal-oriented than the average sexual. Now, I have a dozen sexual friends how I think will be very successful with their lives, but I have twice that many who I think will go no where.

Perhaps the study is taking into account the emotional well-being of the person. Asexuals are probably more likely to be confused how themselves, but of those that know what they are, we can be a successful bunch.

I doubt that made sense... I just woke up, was studying until 3 for an accounting midterm, got like 4 hours of sleep. Coffee time!

I think most of us are just in the same socio-economic demographic as everyone else.

The difference is, most of us are single, whereas most other people have "2 incomes" and share expenses. That's my theory.

I work 2 jobs to keep up.

Re goal to be successful, depends on how you define success. Definitely being poor is bad because it's very hard to get what you need. But it's hard to look at very young people (teens to mid-20s) and figure what their success rate is because attitudes and behavior can change radically. Also, opportunities can arise that weren't there before that happen to fit a particular person very well.

The double income factor is important. I think the top of the money heap are the double-income-no-kids people, then the families with double incomes but few children, then the singles with no kids. The bottom are the single parents.

• 1 year later...

Not out of uni yet but as soon as i get my Mechatronic degree ima planning to change the world fingers crossed that this Ace brings the world flying cars.

How would that be for spreading the A word???

I stated based on my parents income and my projected income once I get out of school. Right now I'm an undergrad, but my parents are covering that. I plan on attending law school, though, which will leave be severely in debt, but promises well.

I met a compromise and stated middle class.

I finally voted also after harrumphing above. Poor. When I add my daughter's income to mine and divided by two, we're ultra-poor.

I put lower middle class because that's how I was raised and probably where I'll fall under when I'm older, but my boyfriend and I are nearly poor in our apartment, but I guess it depends on what you mean by poor, because our income is a social security check each month and whatever we sell on craigslist, but that's not to say we don't have a lot of luxuries in our home. We have a lot of animals that we care for, internet, with the help of Fish and Loaves (a food bank for low-income people) and our check we manage to stay stocked up on food, maybe not the best foods, but food. Our neighbors are mostly drug addicts/drug-dependent people so we also get offers for cheap things that were probably stolen. I feel horrible for owning it, but we got a video iPod that works fantastically, but it was most likely stolen from someone for them to sell it to us.

My parents are middle class (likely creeping toward the top end of middle-middle class, but not upper-middle class, I don't think...). But, to be honest, they could be utterly penniless and still be nothing but middle class.

And I'm still dependent on them in that I live with them, and they've agreed again to give me a small income when at university to cover some (but it'll turn out to be more than enough for everything) expenses, so while I'm poor compared to most people, I'm actually very comfortable financially.

God, I'm so poor, it's not even funny. But most of my money goes on paying my housemate's part of the rent as well, because she won't go and get a job! URGH! >:U

I think my parents could probably be best classified as upper-middle-class. Me personally, I'm a college student without a paying job during the year, so I keep my expenses low (spent something like $1,200 last school year, not including room and board which I am lucky enough to have my parents pay). I work in the summers, and will hopefully be able to work a paying job next year, since I want to get a dog and therefore need to have enough income to support one.

I'm financially dependent on my parents to pay for school, room, and board, which are the vast bulk of my expenses. So I'm pretty comfortable, even though I don't have very much income. I'd like to have a job and work to feel more financially comfortable, but right now I have a non-paying research job that takes up 10-15 hours a week and a full-time student workload, and I'm not sure I'd be able to hack it.

I'm one of those upper-lower middle class types, as much as I'm fine with that, I'm hoping to advance a little bit once I get a career going so I can travel more often :)

i know i voted before but i've no idea how i voted

i have good savings (yay me), saving for a deposit on a house but i am from a poor background.

i would put it as lower class aspiring to middle class

I based it off my family because I am a soul sucking (read money) leach and they support me if I need it even though I am in college. ^_^ I think they are just thankful that I am frugal, unlike my sexual, now pregnant, spend, spend, spend older sister. They would have done the same for her but she pretty much just blew off going to college.

Poor/borderline lower-middle class. Student, but getting very little support from my dad because he himself is very, very tight on money (whenever I need to lend my dad money - and I don't work! - it's usually not a good sign).

Well I voted middle class but it depends on who's reading it.

Considering I don't share a hut with 9 other people or sleep under a roof made of dung or discarded boxes it would appear that according to 2/3's of the world, I live like a queen. And I am lucky for what I have and where I was born; I see me as rich, but others in my own nation would not.

I'm sort of dependent on my parents, one of which is poor, the other of which is middle... so middle-low? I also have some income of my own, too, so that I don't have to grovel for money to buy food and other necessities...

I'm completely independent. I'm employed, and I can afford food, clothing, and the roof over my head. I have absolutely no difficulty making ends meet (and I have very inexpensive tastes). I guess that makes me middle class. That said, things would be a lot more exciting if I was supporting someone else on my salary.

ETA: but Prodefemme said it exactly right: compared to most of the world, I live like a queen. I have hot water and warm clothes, anti-malarial meds and internet. I am grateful for these every single day. I also buy nothing new.

carried in bags

i just have enough money to get by...

Archived