• Gender Freak (0 - 60)
    • Gender Outlaw (61 - 100)
    • Gender Novice (101 - 175)
    • Well Gendered (176 - 235)
    • Captain Kirk (236 - 255)

This poll is closed to new votes

Member21883

Gender Aptitude Test

I scored 27. I do identify rather strongly as male, however I really don't give a damn about gender 'norms' and stereotypes and don't let others tell me I 'should' act a certain way just because I'm a guy. I like certain 'girly' clothing for example, like dresses and skirts. Gender 'rules' tell us men are not supposed to like dresses. Well, screw that I say. This "men are (should be) like this, women like that" is a bunch of nonsense in my opinion, not to mention harmful. Having such 'rules' just forces people into little boxes that no one really fits into. I think most people here can identify with that? I personally believe gender roles and 'norms' are social constructs, but not gender (or the lack thereof) itself. But enough rambling on my part...

It would be interesting to see people's scores together with their gender identity (if any), so feel free to mention that as well.

I somehow doubt there will be any votes for "Captain Kirk"...

reptilelover

I couldn’t take that test – many answers were simply not applicable.

As far as “gender” goes, I used to think that meant “biological sex” up till I found AVEN. Here I learned that it is not about “biological sex” but set of behaviours (at least that is the impression I get). It took me quite a while to understand the difference considering it never even occurred to me I was supposed to act a certain way just because of my biological sex <_< . I was always a strange kid (and I turned out to be a strange adult too if I am to trust the opinions of other people I am in contact with) and was never seriously pushed into “gender roles” by my parents. (Not that they could have pushed me with any effect into them even if they wanted to as I have a tendency to boycott anything I do not want to do… :twisted:) . When I look at things in retrospect I certainly can find instances of tries to be pushed into “gender roles” but I always tended to cut such people completely out of my life – even if they were family (and I did this quite a bit on my father’s family side, including my father and brother when he hit puberty for a long time as they are/were all so annoyingly obvious about the entire “patriarchal” thingy that even I, as oblivious as I usually am in regards to this sort of stuff, could not not notice. Not that I understood it at the time, I simply found the entire deal repulsive/violent and thought the best course of action is simply to remove myself from such influences as much as possible). Needless to say I was quite a loner as a kid, but considering I like being alone and never actually needed/desired approval from anyone I was not bothered about that at all. In fact, even without the gender thingy, what people oftentimes offer for companionship is not something I want to be associated with any more then absolutely necessary and as long as this remains so being alone is going to be my preferred state of being (otherwise I would be “neutral”).

So yes, the term “gender” in the meaning often times used here on AVEN (and perhaps everywhere else too including that test… :huh: ) is simply neither applicable nor compatible with this reptilelover.

Hm. I got an 85, 'Gender Outlaw'. Huh. I identify fairly strongly as female but have no real qualms with it's shifting nature - I'm a woman now, but if that begins to change I'll go with the flow. It suggests that I have been struggling with my gender identity but this is definitely untrue. I've yet to find myself having issues with any aspect of my identity. I am what I am, I see no point in worrying over it.

I did however find some of the questions difficult to answer with what I was given. My score may have been radically different if I hadn't had to settle on some of the answers offered.

I got 87 - Gender Outlaw. As for my personal gender identity, well I've never actually felt male or female, or even androgynous. I'd rather just have no gender.

On the test I think my score was probably effected by the fact I had to compromise on some of the questions, like some of the ones about straight and gay men and women hitting on you. I picked nervous for all the ones I could, but I had to settle for other answers for some of them when nervous would have been right.

I'll second gmaid's, pretty much entirely. 99.

ratatosk_lemur

Much of the test just didn't apply to me. It seems to be trying to decide if you fit into one or both or all genders--but I don't have a gender, and don't want one.

Dame du Lac

I scored 76 even though my first option was "real woman". But like others have said, there weren't many answer options and it was difficult to choose ones which reflect my indifference to how people see me or how others identify. I've said before on this forum that I identify as a woman, although I did ask questions about gender when I was younger, but if other people don't find something about me or my behaviour "gender appropriate" that is just tough. I'm just me.

Looks like an interesting site though.

I had the same problems with the test mentioned by the other repliers. I didn't like any of the answers to many of the questions, since they seemed to assume that (a)I'm attracted sexually/romantically to people, (b)I'd even notice if someone was flirting with/interested in me, and ©I've had sex or at least have some interest in doing so in the future. There were also a couple of questions where, technically, the answer was one thing, but for the kind of thing the test was evaluating the truthful answer didn't really seem like it would be useful (for example, one question asked if I've ever been mistaken for a gender "other than that which [i think I was] presenting;" technically, the answer is yes, but it happened when I was four, which I think is pretty different than if it had happened when I was older).

I scored as a Gender Novice at 153, which the site seems to suggest means I have some sort of "issue" about my gender. I don't. I'm female, and have no problems with that. I don't care for many stereotypically "feminine" things, but those things don't really have anything to do with what makes me female, they're just stereotypes and I don't put any more stock in them then I do other stereotypes.

emmarainbow

I'm not really an outlaw or a freak - but I'm not a novice. I'm happy being cisgendered myself, but I'm very open to the whole gender-is-as-you-show-it, and most of the more interesting people I know are at least a little anrodgenous. :D

It's boring to be entirely male or female *because society tells you to be*. If you just are, tis no biggy, but if you're just following what goes before, it usually means you haven't thought about it. And that's an intereting thing to do, so go do it!

53-- Gender Freak.

(and I answered all the questions as best I could, and tried to shift the examples into like a more asexual paradigm)

nobodyknowsmyname

interesting quiz. I had many of the same difficulties as others here answering the questions. basically I wish gender did not exist. "If you woke up one morning and discovered you were neither a man nor a woman, you would..." be overjoyed.

SlightlyMetaphysical

Question 9: I like it:

On the bottom.

On the top.

In the middle.

Yes I do!

Now where's the asexual answer to that question?

Wooot, gender outlaw! (plays cowboy music in head)

Interesting how tilted the graph is, isn't it?

On the bottom.

On the top.

In the middle.

Yes I do!

oh, there's no aromantic answer for that.

I just tried to think about oh... making out. Am I on top, underneath? Am I in a multiple person steam roll?... probably not.

So I just said for sex positive, "yes I do."

yes, that was a hard one. Cause I was like--what do they mean by middle? oh I'm in the middle.

ThePieMaker

I got 127. I've always seen myself as a fairly androgynous person in personality. I do identify as female, but as I've often said to my friends "I'm a little bit man."

I got 61 - just on the border between gender freak and outlaw. Awesome. I would give SO much to wake up as neither a man nor a woman!! Somehow I don't think it's going to happen...but I can try my hardest to look like me on the outside! Just need a bit of confidence and I'll be calling people 'honey!'

Edit : Mmmmmm honey.......so sweeeeet......... :)

OperaGhost

Couldn't really answer most of the questions, but got 117 with like randomly clicking for the ones that there wasn't a good answer for...

I scored 130-gender novice

t was interesting, I'd like to know how it was scored and I agree that the questions could have had better options for answers

Member21883
I got 87 - Gender Outlaw. As for my personal gender identity, well I've never actually felt male or female, or even androgynous. I'd rather just have no gender.

On the test I think my score was probably effected by the fact I had to compromise on some of the questions, like some of the ones about straight and gay men and women hitting on you. I picked nervous for all the ones I could, but I had to settle for other answers for some of them when nervous would have been right.

I wanted to answer "nervous as hell" for all of them as well. I think my score would have been lower still if that had been an option.

On the bottom.

On the top.

In the middle.

Yes I do!

oh, there's no aromantic answer for that.

I just tried to think about oh... making out. Am I on top, underneath? Am I in a multiple person steam roll?... probably not.

So I just said for sex positive, "yes I do."

yes, that was a hard one. Cause I was like--what do they mean by middle? oh I'm in the middle.

When there are questions about sex/sexuality on tests and the like I usually try to imagine how I'd feel about it were I sexual. Which is probably impossible when you're asexual now that I think of it... Perhaps one could imagine the question was about cuddling instead - though if one does not like cuddling that wouldn't really work... I felt that particular question was fairly easy to answer though.

And I didn't get "the middle" answer at first either. And then when I did I thought "Oh... eww." :blink:

I didn't make it through the test... there were a number of questions where there was no antisexual-appropriate answer.

I'm not sure that I can see gender as anything more than annoying role-playing. To me a male is a male because he has XY (or sometimes XXY) chromosomes and looks like a male. A female is a female because she has XX (or sometimes XXX) chromosomes and looks like a female. I don't see any reason for a male to behave differently than a female, although I do think that most males do behave differently than most females. I try to understand these differences as it pertains to my interaction with people, however I don't personally attach meaning to it either in myself or in others.

Hmmm, interesting test, I did persevere even though I had to pick the "closest to true" answer a few times when nothing applied. I scored 96 which was interesting to me.... I haven't questioned my "gender" since I was about 11-12 years old and building clubhouses while my girlfriend peers seemed to be getting interested in "boys" makeup etc... but this was in the 70's, not sure how many of them were just following the crowd, looking normal as possible... as I eventually did in high school, to some extent anyway, when I wasn't hiding.

(PS loving that I'm exploring questions like this in my 40's - makes me feel life flowing back in my veins to be perusing stuff like this!)

Hugs,

Ghizwiz

Because of having to compromise on questions that don't have an answer anywhere near what I think, I scored 100. Interesting test, but I don't think it works for people whose beliefs don't fit within a certain set. Case in point, some folks here.

Guest Pelagic

I got 84...

But I couldn't answer some questions and just tried to chose an "average" answer... like the "I like it...." and when there were no "I don't" answers, I didn't know what to do!

I don't have any problems with my gender. I'm female. I don't understand what the 84 means, and I don't think this was accurate...what does Gender Outlaw even mean?

Well, I got 127, but I don't think that that tells anything since about half of the questions didn't have choises that I could identify with. The main issue being that the questionnaire seems to assume that you are sexual.

Chose Female. Cuz that's what I am. Ended up with novice with a score of around 128 or something.

Couldn't really answer most of the questions, but got 117 with like randomly clicking for the ones that there wasn't a good answer for...

Yeah, I agree that a lot of questions had no good matching answers for me.

I wanted to answer "nervous as hell" for all of them as well. I think my score would have been lower still if that had been an option.

And I didn't get "the middle" answer at first either. And then when I did I thought "Oh... eww." :blink:

I didn't choose "nervous as hell" for them all since I'm sure the asexual part of me would be messing up the results with that. Glad I wasn't the only one who wanted to, though. And yeah, that "I like it" question was odd...

I couldn't finish the test. I've done a lot of online quizzes in my time, but in terms of providing a representative list of possible answers this one is one of the worst. Probably half of the questions didn't list any answers I would have picked.

I couldn't finish the test. I've done a lot of online quizzes in my time, but in terms of providing a representative list of possible answers this one is one of the worst. Probably half of the questions didn't list any answers I would have picked.

I'm trying to do this now, and I'm feeling the same way. Looks like I won't be reading this person's book. :rolleyes:

I'm trying to do this now, and I'm feeling the same way. Looks like I won't be reading this person's book. :rolleyes:

/Agrees

Q] Do you shave?

A4] 'Yes but not myself'.

What on Earth does that have to do with gender?

Archived