What is autosexuality?

queerunity

queerunity

Im confused about this term, is this just people who masturbate and don't want actual sex? So would that make many people here asexual autosexual?

Im confused about this term, is this just people who masturbate and don't want actual sex? So would that make many people here asexual autosexual?

Insofar as I'm aware, the answer to that first question is yes!

But the second one is a lot more personal, and I couldn't presume to know the answer.

Ah the wonders of the internet vits ;-)

Now there used to be a page on autosexual on wikipedia however it now gets re-directed to autoeroticism: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autoeroticism

Originally there was the idea that autosexuality was either lack of sexual attraction to other people but they can partake in personal sexual stimulation to oneself (which does cover some of the posters here, the asexuals witha sex drive, myself included). The other idea was sexual attractiont o oneself (wehich would not cover the asexuals here in general).

However quite clearly this murky term has been ditched by wikipedia and replaced with the idea of autoeroticism. which is defined there as:

Autoeroticism is the practice of stimulating oneself sexually

Which can cover every orientation, at least those memebers of an orientation with a sex drive. Some asexuals here can and do practice it but likewise heterosexuals, bisexuals and homosexuals can be said as also doing so. It's non-orientation now as opposed to the way the article autosexual was put (and many of the asexuals here who could fit into the autosexual felt asexual fitted better, myself included).

So that's wikipedia. However that is not 100% scientific as we know.

Urban dictionary has some interesting definitions, some of which fit into the article that was on wikipedia:

http://www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=autosexual

Again thereis a suggestion it;s not an orientation but again more to so with sexual activity with oneself, such as masturbating.

So essentially yeah, it;s about self-sexual stimulation and anyone of any proientation can have autosexual tendencies.

Although the link vits mentioned has merit because Googling will bring up the defintion of people attracted to and engaging in sex with their cars.

auto- or aut-

pref.

1. Self; same: autogamy.

2. Automatic: autopilot.

So, either sexual attraction to the self, or automatic sexual attraction...?

And, while we're on the subject of dictionaries:

a·sex·u·al

2.free from or unaffected by sexuality: an asexual friendship.

Interesting way to word it.

queerunity

technically arent all sexual people auto-erotic? i mean id imagine all sexual people masturbate. yeah it seems like a sexual behavior not an orientation.

technically arent all sexual people auto-erotic? i mean id imagine all sexual people masturbate. yeah it seems like a sexual behavior not an orientation.

An "autosexual" would be someone who prefers masturbation by preference, not necessity. Most sexuals would far rather have sex with other people, and only masturbate as a shallow subsitute, for health reasons, or to relieve hormonal pressure. Similarly, asexuals might masturbate for the latter two reasons without being autosexual. The term is usually (I think) reserved for people to whom masturbation is a big part of their sexual self-identity and who masturbate by preference.

What is autosexuality?

Well, *ahem* ya see, first there are a mommy and a daddy car and they realize that love each other very much ...

Huh??

Oh.

Sorry. :blush:

But seriously,

I always envisioned autosexuals as people who are sexually attracted to themselves, and not those who are just scratching an itch. And, since they are not attracted to other people of any gender, they would still be included in AVEN's definition of asexuality. I can't quite imagine how autosexuality would take shape, but maybe autosexuals would have a lot of pictures of themselves, or like to "perform" in front of mirrors or ??? Maybe they would treat themselves to a special night out and buy themselves a special dinner, flowers, chocolates or ... ? (Before going home and intentionally "gettin' busy", that is.) They might take particular pleasure in pampering or decorating their bodies? Maybe they just think that they are really "hot" but they have no desire whatsoever to share their bodies with other people. I think that masturbation by itself would not be enough to characterize it, because, as has been stated already, it is common among people of ALL sexualities.

To me, it seems that autosexuality would involve more than ordinary masturbation, but that's just my opinion.

-GB

SorryNotSorry

This is getting difficult to define... we're starting to blur the lines between asexuality and sexual narcissism. I'm not attracted to myself, though I do fantasize about women who have a lot in common with me. AFAIC autosexuality consists of masturbation while fantasizing about real or imaginary individuals you'd like to keep asexual company with.

Archived