Annie's Mailbox

Queue

My brother, the only person (in real life, at least) that I've come out to, showed me this this morning after he finished reading the paper. (He was actually rather excited. I think he's coming to terms with the reality that I didn't just make asexuality up.)

The article.

I thought it was really cool that not only did it acknowledge asexuality, it pointed the writer to AVEN for more information.

2014 Mod Edit - I've copied the relevant part of that day's columns for future reference:

Dear Annie: I am a single female in my 60s who feels very different from anyone else. I have never had any sexual desires — not for men, not for women, not for anyone. Is this what the term "asexual" means?

The idea of engaging in sex makes me cringe and that includes kissing anyone on the mouth. This does not, however, translate into a lack of interest in dating or even marriage. I don't want to remain alone the rest of my life. I would love to have a close, loving (but sexless) relationship with a man. I just don't know how to go about finding a man who lacks interest in sex but still wants to marry.

I have rarely dated and am not able to enjoy it because men nearly always want to at least kiss on the mouth on the first or second date and I don't know what to say when that happens. Am I as unusual as I think I am? I am a loving, caring person. — Tired of Being Alone

Dear Tired: Someone who is asexual has no interest in sex — with anyone. While some asexuals enjoy kissing or cuddling, others don't want to be touched at all, but it is possible for you to have a loving relationship with someone who does not require sex. We recommend you contact AVEN (Asexual Visibility and Education Network) at asexuality.org for information and support.

I just saw that... it's good that Annie didn't go on with the usual "go see a therapist" crap. Who knows, this person might even meet someone here.

inkingthestar

yes! that's the article that brought me here! it was the first time i'd ever heard of anyone else having feelings like mine! i checked out the link that was mentioned in the reply and well--- here i am. :D

yes! that's the article that brought me here!

Yay! :)

:cake:

Wow this Annie person has sent at least 3 people AVEN's way :cake: :cake: :cake:

Make that four. I was so excited when a friend gave me a copy of that column. I had no idea that there was a place like this on the Web (it never occurred to me to Google). I've been poring over the site for a couple of days now.

Ahoy Vox! There be plenty o' freshly-plundered :cake: fer ye!

...Sorry, I went into welcome lounge mode there for a second. ;)

Welcome aboard!

Ahoy Vox! There be plenty o' freshly-plundered :cake: fer ye!

...Sorry, I went into welcome lounge mode there for a second. ;)

Welcome aboard!

Thanks! :-D Also, yay for pirates!

spoonsfromdenmark

Someone should send some info to Dear Abby. In the last week there have been letters from people who seem like they're asexual and don't know and she's given them terrible advice.

Welcome, Vox! :) :cake:

*parties*

And yes, too bad Abby does not know about us.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Asexuality was mentioned again today by Annie. Friend called my up when I was half asleep to tell me.

2014 Mod Edit: I've found the relevant advice column here. For future reference:

Dear Annie: I am a 23-year-old man, still in school. I am asexual, and what bothers me is the number of people who automatically assume that because I don't go running after girls, I must be gay.
I prefer hanging out with my friends, male and female. Even so, my parents, siblings and friends have all asked at some point whether I am gay. I tell them the truth, but none of them believes me. I've tried to make a joke out of it, but it's starting to get annoying. How can I make them understand? — Not Interested

Dear Not: People generally understand "gay," but they have trouble with "asexual." You shouldn't need (or try) to defend who you are, but you can educate the people closest to you. Contact AVEN, the Asexuality Visibility and Education Network, at asexuality.org for information and support.

Archived