Random Ponderings

Kelly

It is about time that I sit down and watch a video. Tonight it will be The Breakfast Club (1985).

I have not seen it in many years, but when I did first see it, I was thinking, "Oh, these kids are so much younger than I am--my High School days were in a different era; they are the new kids and it is difficult to relate to them."

But in reality, that time difference was small--I started High School in 1973--just 12 years before that movie, not so long before considering that the movie is now 23 years old; High School kids of 1985 have kids in High School and college now.

Considering that, I suppose that I will relate to the movie now more than I did then.

< retired >

Good reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/breakfast_club/

I tend to agree with Shakespeare:

I would there were no age between ten and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest : for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting.

So, I stay away from 'teen' flicks. Hope you enjoy the movie!

• 1 month later...
Solodancer1
Good reviews: http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/breakfast_club/

I tend to agree with Shakespeare:

I would there were no age between ten and three-and-twenty, or that youth would sleep out the rest : for there is nothing in the between but getting wenches with child, wronging the ancientry, stealing, fighting.

So, I stay away from 'teen' flicks. Hope you enjoy the movie!

To think some people try to say teenage rebellion is new.

Naw, I find that the difference between one generation and the next is huge when you're compring people who are too young to put themselves in the minset of someone from a different world -- but after you can do that even a millennium of age difference isn't an obstacle to understanding.

• 1 month later...
To think some people try to say teenage rebellion is new.

Naw, I find that the difference between one generation and the next is huge when you're compring people who are too young to put themselves in the minset of someone from a different world -- but after you can do that even a millennium of age difference isn't an obstacle to understanding.

I like that.

Where I work we have people from 17 to 61 years of age. The kids take polls amongst themselves occassionally about who of the old people they most identify with.

I am proud to say that I win the poll over and over again.

Why do I win?

Because I take time on breaks and at lunch to sit and listen to them. They enjoy it when an older person will take time and listen to what they have to say. I also encourage them in there lives. Whether its to go on to college right out of high school or take a year off and get some life experience before moving on or whatever they are going through.

There doesn't have to be a generation gap. All we need to do is communicate. Which for us older people, means listen more than talking. NO LECTURES! No, "When I was your age!" hahahahahaa.

Sure young people are idealistic. We were too when we were young. They will learn soon enough that idealism is great but it doesn't work in the real world. No need to build barriers over something that will take care of itself over time.

I also enjoy watching teen movies. Keeps me young and in touch.

Archived