G'rrrrr!

Borrible Cal

Borrible Cal

I was having a conversation with a friend I don't often see the other day, and we got to talking about books, as we always do. I mentioned that I'm particularly attached to one book we've both read (Ombria in Shadow by Patricia McKillip) because of the fact that it has no romance plot, mostly because I find romance plots in books very boring...

Her reaction? 'Oh, you've just been reading too much slash fanfic'.

I wanted to throttle her...because while it's true that one reason I'm fed up with romance narratives is overexposure, the pat little assumption that the only reason one can find them boring is because of overindulgence in a substitute constructed as an illicit, explicit, heightened version of the same thing is just ridiculous.

Why do people seem simply unable to grasp the fact that other people can find romance stories--or romances in real life--just plain dull?

Borrible Cal.

Cate Perfect

I don't know, but isn't it infuriating? Perhaps it's because they find romance and sex to be so interesting (and that line of thinking is reinforced by our culture and society) that they simply cannot believe there are people who don't share that opinion.

I do know of sexual people who find movies and media without the obligatory sexual component to be refreshing so it's not all sexuals.

Cate

LOVE your sig, by the way.

I'm actually surprised I know this one, but I know what a fanfic is.

But what's slash fanfic?

fluffy_hime

I would imagine slash fanfic refers to either bloody horror fanfics (bloody horror works better visually), or extremely graphic sexual fanfics. Hey! There's another implied-violent term to add to Xen's list!

I find romance nauseating. Except for genuine romance, that isn't "romance" as far as our society is concerned. Don't ask me to explain.

I would imagine slash fanfic refers to either bloody horror fanfics (bloody horror works better visually), or extremely graphic sexual fanfics. Hey! There's another implied-violent term to add to Xen's list!

They're extremely graphic sexual fanfics. I know because I read Xena fanfic, and I have to be careful about which ones I get. Some romance novels don't bother me, hell, some I like. But only if there is other things going on, you know, to where its not the only central thing. And it has to be within a certain limit. I do not like mush, sap, or gooy drizzle. One of my favorite authors writes lesbian romance novels, there is always a shit load of action going on (AND she doesn't including sex scenes :!: ). However, in almost every book there is one scene that I end up having to skip over because its so lovey-dovey that it makes me physically ill. :x

Most people I know find sex scenes annoying yet vaguely amusing, because they enjoy predicting when the 2 opposite sex characters will get in the sack. However, they find romance plots vomit-inducing, and I agree. Violent plots are so much better! :P

wednesday's child

*puts on fandom geek hat*

Slash refers to fanfiction or fanart that contains same-gender romantic couplings (it can refer to m/m or f/f, but more often it's m/m-- lesbian stories also have their own name, femmeslash). It doesn't necessarily have to involve sex--a story where two characters skip through the daisies and proclaim their love for each other is slash just as much as if those same two characters were enjoying themselves in the bedroom.

End geeky explanation :D

ApolloSeek

Looks like I'll have to cancel a Team O story, Team O-When Hank Met

Holly. I planned for it to have a romantic element. As well as The

Aggregate, Aury and Holly fighting Tell-Jihad terrorists. I didn't realize

romance was so unpopular here.

Modernized Shakespeare:

Henry IV, Part I should be renamed When Harry met Harry

Archived