just being neurotic...

Des

Ever feel like life's scripted?

I'm not talking about fate, and not having any say in your life, but whatever choices you make and the outcomes are already known and recorded, and we're just following a path, playing a part, reading the lines.

Now, I've got a bit of insight here.

I have no desire to be married. I don't want kids. I've told myself my whole life that was the way it was gonna be. But I've had recurring dreams, visions, deja vu and reverse deja vu where I'm looking at where I am now like I'm older. I always see a wife, a woman with long red hair. I marry a woman named Candace Johansen and we have two kids, Olivia Annemarie May and Samson Gregor May, who's three years younger. That's the way I've seen it since I was twelve. Now it seems like I'm changing to go down that path. My proclivities towards redheads I already knew.

But now I want a daughter.

Have you ever met a redheaded woman named Candace Johansen?

If NOT, and if someday you DO .... would you please post it?

And, if something that unlikely can happen ... why not the rest of it too?

-Greybird

It's interesting. Because what if we think that we make our own choices, but choice is an illusion? What if we're already fated to do everything that we do, but we are given the illusion that is only through our own consciousness that we do these things? To live without free will, knowing that you have no control over the most basic things, would be unbearable, I think.

But once I had a dream about a conversation between a friend and I, and two weeks later, that conversation actually happened, almost verbatim. As it unfolded I was so surprised to connect dream and reality together... and for whatever reason the real event was pretty close to my dream. (There were minor differences, like in my dream it happened at a counter but in real life we were sitting at the table when we had this conversation. It was weird nevertheless.)

So no matter how much control I think I have over my own life, there is always the possiblity lingering over my head that it might all be illusory. Of all the things that we don't know about, it's one of the endless questions about the nature of reality that plague me. Maybe the act of living is in itself an illusion. Who knows?

Three years ago I never would have understood what you're talking about. But now, I wonder the same thing sometimes.

Silly Green Monkey

Would you really saddle a poor innocent young girl with that name?

Ineptitude

That is interesting, although if you ever do meet this Candace Johansen, I would not suggest starting a conversation with "You know, I've been dreaming about you since I was twelve." Might be a bit too creepy of an opener.

However, I think it is really neat that you've been having these dreams since you were so young. Now here's a question: Do you want a daughter because you dream about her, or do you dream about her because you want her?

I guess it'd depend on how you differeniate the terms.

I personally do not believe anything is scripted. Nor does an instrinsic, ineffable purpose exist, to which all events necessarily propel us. But that's just me.

Cate Perfect

Yeah, I tend to lean toward the 'Everything is Chaos' theory.

Though I have no explanation for when people have connections that cannot be explained away through coincidence.

Cate

fluffy_hime
Because what if we think that we make our own choices, but choice is an illusion? What if we're already fated to do everything that we do, but we are given the illusion that is only through our own consciousness that we do these things?

Nah. Even if it was an illusion, would it help you to know that? Would you gain anything from it? Nope.

LOL Inep. I agree. :D Very interesting, Dese. Do tell us if you ever meet a woman named Candace. (I think Olivia is a pretty name.)

Well, I've met lots of Candaces in my life, but only one that ever had red hair and her last name was Cooper.

I have all sorts of weird things that I see, but then again I've been struck repeatedly by lightning so I'm not sure how reliable I am.

The most recent one of my flashes was when I was in the shower, and it was like all these points of my life linked up. It's like I spend most of my life underwater, but every now and then I stick my head up and look around and see myself at the other points. I can't control or predict it, but sometimes I can remember what I saw.

This particular flash I saw as far forward as when I was in my early fifties and we were helping Olivia move away to college. I felt a lot of things, and I wondered if they were te kind of things my mom felt when I left.

I also realized that I've never seen past my fifties. I wonder if I will live any longer than that. Or perhaps I will lose whatever this is.

Carsonspire

You've been repeatedly struck by lightning?!?

fluffy_hime

Holy crap!!!? You've got to have the worst luck on the planet...assuming you don't attach yourself to long, metallic objects during lightning storms.

I have dreamed my future before. These were series of quite lucid dreams. I posted one of the dreams connected with it in the dream thread I believe. Anyway, upon awakening, I knew that there was something important about thse dreams yet could not remember. It became my lifelong goal to remember what I saw in those dreams of my future. My friend and I did hypnosis to try to find out what it was I had seen. This was in 1999. For the entire year I experienced deja vu and a sense that time had stopped. Along with the deja vu was a disturbing sense that my entire life was a memory. As if it happened a long time ago but I was somehow living it again in a sort of timeloop. Later I realised that what I was shown in these dreams was the year 1999 when I was trying to figure out what was in these dreams in the first place. In other words, I had a dream of my future and the future I saw was me realising what I had seen in the dream in the first place. :shock:

In response to the shocked comments (no pun intended...okay, yes it was) yes, I was struck by lightning first July 19 1999 and then again June 4 2001. Neither was a direct hit.

I thought of something else peculiar that happened to me in a dream once, that I remember now because we were discussing it in Spanish class this morning before the professor came in.

I don't speak much Latin. I dreamed once that someone kept saying something to me over and over in Latin, and when I woke up, I wrote it down and went to get it translated. It actually said something that made sense, too. So how did I dream about something I don't know?

Live R Perfect

Oooh! That reminds me of a dream I had once which culminated in a cocophony of noise. Just as I was waking up I recalled hearing a male voice saying "Beware the old adage!". The odd bit was that I had never heard the word 'adage' before and didn't know what it meant until I asked a friend.... :shock: Dun! Duun! DUUUUNN!

PlatonicPimp

I've a friend who has been strcuk by lightning 7 times. The funny thing is, it seems to run in her family, as her mother has been struck something like 30 times. You wouldn't beleive how many TVs they have gone through.

and didn't know what it meant until I asked a friend....

I love it -- more proof that we're hardwired for words, that language goes way deeper than conscious thought. Had the same thing at age 5: a dream where I was flying around, happy and free, then a thundering voice called out from above: "GRAVITY!!" and of course I tumbled right out of the sky and jolted myself awake. Then I crawled out of my bunkbed and went out to ask the babysitter, "What's gravity?" - "Uhhh...it's the force that makes things fall, what keeps us glued to the earth." - "Oh, OK. Thanks." And then toddled back to bed.

ApolloSeek
Ever feel like life's scripted?

I'm not talking about fate, and not having any say in your life, but whatever choices you make and the outcomes are already known and recorded, and we're just following a path, playing a part, reading the lines.

...Editing...

If life is scripted, then the statement you made "Ever feel like life's scripted?"

is scripted also.

bard of aven

Some moments are more or less scripted than others; some totally, some not at all. 's my philosophy.

I am kind of hoping this particular moment is scripted. I got a fortune cookie at dinner tonight that says "A nice cake is waiting for you."

I used to get a lot of eeire prophetic moments when I was younger, in the navy, doing lots of drugs. Especially, in conversations, I would suddenly know verbatim what everyone was going to say for the next minute or two. Nothing much like that since those days, tho.

boa

fluffy_hime
I've a friend who has been strcuk by lightning 7 times. The funny thing is, it seems to run in her family, as her mother has been struck something like 30 times. You wouldn't beleive how many TVs they have gone through.

Dude...tell them to get some lightning rods.

The first time I got struck, it blew up the phone.

The person in my dream was saying "How do I go home?" or something close, in Latin. And he was following me around like he was lost saying it over and over.

Archived