Love at first sight?

Asevela

Love at first sight?  

1. 1. Do you believe in love at first sight?

• Am asexual and believe in it
    • Am asexual and don't believe in it
    • Am asexual and used to believe in it, but don't anymore
    • Am asexual and didn't believe in it, but do now
    • Am sexual and believe in it
    • Am sexual and don't believe in it
    • Am sexual and used to believe in it, but don't anymore
    • Am sexual and didn't believe in it, but do now

This poll is closed to new votes

I want to know if there's any correlation between the two.

And if you choose one of the change your mind options, can you tell us what changed your mind?

Myself, I don't believe it and never have.

Nope, I never have. I also think its more of an infatuation than actual "love" but I've never experienced it so I wouldn't know.

I believe more in infatuation at first sight.

Me too! - If a longer lasting love will grow out of that is unpredictable, but thats no reason not to believe in it happening once in a while...

Sorry, I'm questioning or a grey A, so I can't vote.

i do now, since i met somebody (who was regrettably taken already) that if she hadn't been, i just KNEW i'd have been totally happy with her. (damn hand of fate!) i wouldn't say it was first SIGHT, more 'first serious interaction.'

Prefers Pie

*sings*

Yes, I'm certain that it happens all the time.

Revenge of Rain

Love at first observation/conversation... sometimes.

I try to deny it whenever I feel that way though (but then I deny lots of other stuff too).

I'm sexual.

Chaparall

I wouldn't call it love, but I guess it can feel a bit like it. I have fallen in love really fast though. Like in 5-6 days. But it was when I was young, when the feelings are stronger (I don't miss it).

Shockwave

I believed in it when I was younger and more naive. Now I realize that what I felt back then wasn't love, but just an infatuation (like others have said). I believe you have to get to know someone before you can have real feelings for them.

I believe in it cause I'm almost an example. Almost cause my best friend and I love each other like family without romance or sexualness. And we are still in friendship love and it has been 12 years

GreyCloud

Attraction/interest at first sight - yes. Love - no.

Love takes a while to develop. However, many people are very attracted to a person they hardly know and then quickly fall in love when they date the person and get to know them better. Looking back later they often say they felt it was something special from the start and therefore call it love at first sight. In that sense of the words I do believe it can happen.

• 2 weeks later...
Bellatrixx

I believe in it... no clue why. I blame it on all the crappy romance novels I read before the age of 10.

Guest the_random_squirrel

I have a theory. I reckon that because sex is so in-built and talked about in our culture today that sexuals are like 'hey lets just have sex'.

i don't know about you, but when i meet new people for the first time i get interested and excited by them (no, not in a sexual way). its just that they're new and interesting, and you want to know about what they think about this, or what they know about that. i know that when new people have been introduced to my life i find myself wondering 'i wish X was here' or 'i wish i could talk to X now'. i just want to know more about them, and find out what makes them tick. i think that sexuals (because of the massive importance society seems to place on sex) possibly (?) mis-construe these feelings as ones of sexual desire.

or maybe i have no idea what i'm talking about, being asexual? maybe its just me.

*goes back to lurking up a tree*

• 2 weeks later...

Believe in it? I've experienced it!

I looked into his eyes the first moment and the world just spun around 3 times in a second and somehow bounced back into place a minute later. I was mindblowingly in love. (Not like life-long-love, ready to marry him, but a HUGE crush in just a second) It defenitely wasn't lust at first sight, I don't get that. And turns out he was a really really nice guy. How did I know that there and then? No idea, but it turned out to be true!

I never asked him, but I have a feeling he felt the same at that very moment. We were both at a birthdayparty and we just exchanged one look and made an unspoken agreement to talk together all through the evening.

I really would have liked to see an "other" or "not sure" choice. For me it all depends on what your definition of "love" is.

Like other people have said, I believe infatuation at first sight is easily possible, but not love.

Guest Fosco
Like other people have said, I believe infatuation at first sight is easily possible, but not love.

Very very fine line between infatuation and love.

ZombieSlayer54

No.

I do not believe in love at first sight.

I believe love is something which is developed between friends, people who know each other.

I find it impossible for two people who know absolutely nothing about each other to be in love with each other.

• 3 weeks later...
Solodancer1

I'm not sure what romantic love is really like, though I've faked it so well I have convinced myself, until things came up that showed me I really still don't get the idea. I think there is a difference between love of humanity and love for someone particular, which comes from knowing and learning to believe in someone in particular, as we have with family if it's a healthy family. Love of humanity is what you are supposed to feel toward everyone -- empathy, compassion, goodwill etc. You can feel that at first sight to someone with signals of need or innocence but it's just a stronger form of what you're supposed to have for people you've never seen. The kind of love that makes one person specifically important to another, as we have with our best friends and relatives, comes from knowing each other really well and finding your common ground is broader than your battles, and learning to be responsible for each other. I don't think that kind of love is likely to appear out of nowhere, but what would I know? I haven't had every possible experience.

Very very fine line between infatuation and love.

Not in my view it isn't. Infatuation can pass. Love is forever, strong enough to tear a human heart apart.

Infatuation at first time is possible, and I've experienced it.

Love at first sight is trickier, but it exists. Like when a mother looks ather child for the first time. THAT'S love at first sight.

I've spoken once to a married man who had been married 30 years. When he met his wife in a far off place in a strange country, he had to choose immediately. Leave her and never see her again, or marry her. Barely knowing her two weeks, the choice was obvious and he proposed. 30 years later he still loves her like no other and will recount his story to anyone who wants to hear it. I listen to it everytime, can't get enough of it. He describes real love as being part of someone, and taking a part of that persons soul into yourself. There aren't 2 individuals anymore, they sort of blend. To be ripped apart is unimagineable. It would be worse, so much worse then death.

I love his stories. If that isn't true love, I don't know what is.

qecantilles

I get crush at first sight, but I've never been in love. I've been obsessed a few times. . .

I believe love is developed and can't be instant.

Physical attraction and lust, are instant.

I mean, it's love, when you love them for their qualities, but accept them for their flaws.

You can't get to that level with a person in a split second.

I believe in being instantly attracted to someone.

Just not in love.

If someone tells you they're in love with you the moment they meet you, odds are you'll need to file for a restraining order.

So no, I don't believe in it.

asexysjsfan

I still have no idea what love is in a relationship context.

I know it exists as I love family and friends, but I assume relationship (Sexually) love is something entirely different? Or maybe it's a blend of love and sexual attraction... what is it?

But no, the only love I know is very difficult to achieve, and takes massive amounts of time.

Love at first sight is impossible to me.

Archived