Real People magazine article

Shortass Lady

Shortass Lady

For anyone in the UK who likes women's magazines: I was browsing the shelves earlier today and one of the magazines, Real People, is this week carrying an article about an asexual couple. I recognised their faces from YouTube asexuality clips, and bought the magazine to read the double-page spread article (cover title: 'Married for 3 Years, But We've Never Had Sex')! But yeah, the article explained soem info about what asexuality was and how it can function in a relationship, and it even mentioned AVEN three times. So that was quite pleasing!

Good eye! That's super cool - was it a positively worded piece?

Shortass Lady
Good eye! That's super cool - was it a positively worded piece?

Yes. It wasn't a 'freak-show' article, it was respectfully done. Quite well written, managing to convey the possibility of love without lust, and how sex to some people seems boring and unnecessary, and how some asexuals don't judge sexuals, they're just not interested. It wasn't fully comprehensive of course, but for the amount of words they had it was a good introduction to asexuality for people who maybe had never heard of it before.

I'm sure you can imagine my surprise when I came home yesterday to find my grandmother reading this very article! It is a very positive piece, I really enjoyed it.

I know the people who were featured in the article, and they were frequently misquoted or, even worse, assigned totally fictitious quotes solely designed to portray the slant which the author of the article wanted. In that respect, there were no "Real People" represented at all.

Still, I am glad to hear that it managed to be a positive article despite all of that.

Yay for the end result!

Hearing about their experiences and their futile attempts at correcting the copy are enough to make me VERY leery of that publication's credentials, however.

-GB

My friend reads what I teasingly call her "crappy magazines" and she told me at work, "I read this article that reminded me of you." She text me the website address that evening and here I am. If she hadn't have read that, I would have carried on feeling like I was alone in feeling this way so for me, the article was positive.

Yay for the article because it brought Foxxie52 here. :)

But poo on it because it was rather fictionalized. The couple in the article (friends of mine) did not say what they were quoted as saying. They did a long interview and then just made stuff up about them. :huh:

However, they indeed are an asexy couple and are married. They were active here in AVEN before they married. 8)

Archived