• 90-110 (normal)
    • 110-130
    • 130-160
    • I don't know
    • I don't care
    • Mind your own beeswax!

This poll is closed to new votes

Miss_Moneypenny

I had to take an IQ test when my work sent me on full-time training. All they could tell me was that I had got every single question right (that particular test goes up to 150). I finished with enough time to spare to check all my answers through again.

I have always been literate - my teacher told my parents that I had the reading score of a young teenager when I was 6. I was never labelled as gifted, though, because I seriously couldn't be bothered with figurework and was far too lazy to do sums. (That all changed when I learned accountancy at evening school and I could suddenly see the point in numbers.)

My students and colleagues keep asking me if I am in Mensa, but I don't feel any need to have that as a status symbol. I have a busy enough life anyway. I have heard that they're supposed to help bright children get a better education, but if that's the case, where were they when I needed them?

Finally, there are statistical difficulties in constructing a test for people with very high IQs which I believe put a very serious question mark over their reliability. One obvious difficulty is that the higher the IQ, the fewer people there are to standardise the test against. Another lies in the construction of the test marking system.

Imagine, if you will, a "stretching" scale, with the marks in the "average" area being very close together, and becoming more spaced out the further away from average you go. What this means is that if you tend to score around average, two or three genuine errors (as opposed to inability to answer the question correctly) will hardly make any significant difference to your overall score. Errors in the above average band will be more significant, but probably not to the extent that will render the test completely invalid. Once one gets into the highest few percent, however, it is a different story. At this level, every correctly answered question becomes significant and could influence the test score by several IQ points either way. The cumulative effect of two or three mistakes (or lucky guesses) could actually put the person's overall score into a completely different bracket.

Perhaps this is why those posters with very highly superior IQs have had the problem of one test showing a score of 135, the next of 170 (quite apart from the fact that each test seems to use a different scale).

On Mensa: http://www.livejournal.com/users/ayrnieu/49329.html

The last IQ test I took was one that I took using lynx, a text-only browser for unix systems. The test abruptly became graphics-dependent ("which of these pictures does not belong?") and I subsequently scored *much* lower than normal. The scoring page ended with "Good luck." which I took entirely the wrong way...

So I don't take IQ tests anymore.

I was tested "officially" when I was 6, because my parents wanted to decide if I can start school a year earlier than others or not. I couldn't (for other reasons), but my IQ was 140. When I was about 20 years old, I wanted to "check" myself. I've done some tests on Internet - all of my results were between 135 and 140. If Cate Perfect is true, and tests on Internet give better result than an "official" one, my real IQ has decreased during the years. :D I should try that...

When I was in school, I never once heard of anyone here getting an IQ test. I've done it 5 or 6 times throughout high school and university, but only because I knew these psych grad students who wanted to use me for some research or something. (It involved taking multiple tests over a period of time.) My lowest score was 144 and my highest was 162. I don't put much stock in them, though. Lots of research has been done to show that they're culturally biased and only measure one (very small) aspect of overall "intellegence" and mental ability. And seeing as how one of my most genius professors suffered from the inability to boil an egg, I'd say that IQ certainly doesn't measure the relative degree of success you'll have at living life.

Getting back to schools-- again, none here even did them when I was a kid. And I was asked (rather, my mother was asked and didn't tell me until years later) to skip a grade. Later on, I was always in advanced classes. But class placements here are not based on any tests, rather on "self-selection". Or else in consultation with the teacher and guidance counsellor. I think they caught on early that tests won't measure degree of interest, writing ability, willingness to work hard, or level of committment. The only testing that was done (to my knowledge) was at the other end-- kids who struggled and/or had potential learning disabilities would get tests and everything to identify areas in which they needed support. Maybe this wasn't a widespread policy, but I went to maybe half a dozen schools where I was usually identified as "gifted" and I've never been asked to do any IQ or other tests for it.

• 1 month later...

I am most probably with Spock here. (hi there, nice to meet again). I was never oficially tested and first of all, I know I am hard to test (it is said so about autistic people that they are hard to test, being extremely strong in some areas and extremely poor in some other- this fits me well).

As well I have some debilitating neurological conditions that also make it hard to have accurate IQ test results.... and I really do not care.

I seek people with certain intelligence levels, but intelligence is not about IQs.

• 3 weeks later...
As far as I know they only test the kids that teachers recommend for testing because they seem far behind or ahead of the majority. I believe they also test people who want to enter the armed forces. I suppose they don't want anyone too smart in there. :wink:

Cate

Actually they give a something called the ASVAB(Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery) It determines what specialty/ratings you qualify for. The highest score possible is a 99(piece of cake to get btw finished in like 20 min they allow 3 hrs) and actually you can be too dumb to be allowed in any branch even as an infantry grunt. How dumb do you want someone to be if your gonna hand them a loaded assault rifle?

My IQ has always tested between 130 and 140, and that was on about five different tests. And I've always been identified as intelligent compared to my peers, so I'm not arguing.

• 1 month later...

In school they gave me one where I got 134. Online I took a lot of them. There was one that's supposed to be pretty accurate for online because it's timed. That one said 172. That's a big gap, but I remember when I took the one at school I was pulled out of Japanese class and then went into brain-fart-mode (my Japanese teacher will do that to anyone...she's crazy and speaks very bad English). I went with the 130-160 option since most of the tests I took put me in that range.

A_Piece_of_Pie

Your highest option is 7 below what mine is :cry: Us high IQ people aren't loved .... (I don't say smart people because IQ relly doesn't have anything to do with how smart you are. Another kid in my AP Calculus class aced the class and his was only 148 :? ) I fail to see the real point behind IQ in the first place... What is it suppose to prove? :?

I've noticed that most of the online IQ tests seem to be fronts for collection of email addresses.

I suspected as much for the one I took, especially after it claimed "the most scientifically accurate!" at the beginning. If there's one thing we know about IQ tests, it's that they're largely bogus from a "scientific" standpoint.

Unsurprisingly, the site wanted an email address from me before it would divulge results, and after I put in a deliberately bogus address (to which the result would presumably be sent) I never did get to look at it onscreen.

An intelligence test indeed! And a far cry from the much more helpful and interesting "face recognition" and aspie tests I've seen referenced on this site and elsewhere.

A_Piece_of_Pie
I've noticed that most of the online IQ tests seem to be fronts for collection of email addresses.

I suspected as much for the one I took, especially after it claimed "the most scientifically accurate!" at the beginning. If there's one thing we know about IQ tests, it's that they're largely bogus from a "scientific" standpoint.

Unsurprisingly, the site wanted an email address from me before it would divulge results, and after I put in a deliberately bogus address (to which the result would presumably be sent) I never did get to look at it onscreen.

An intelligence test indeed! And a far cry from the much more helpful and interesting "face recognition" and aspie tests I've seen referenced on this site and elsewhere.

Oh... idk, I've never taken any of the online ones. We were issued written tests from my X workplace.

Every test I ever took, placed me above 130. But they were mostly online-tests. There was even one where I got all the answers right, so that probably means that my IQ is infinite 8).

At a written and timed test I scored 138, so I'll stick to that.

My parents are some who stuck to the "don't tell the kids" as they were told. All I got out of them (even years later) is "gifted".

:roll:

• 11 months later...

Mine was about 132 when I took the test in kindergarten. I think I clicked the wrong poll option, though. I put 110-130 :oops:

• 2 months later...

I've never tested my IQ anywhere other than on the internet... and those tests most certainly aren't to be trusted!

I have tested twice at 146, as a youth of 17 yrs old, and then again a month ago for a University study. I originally used the WISC-1 exam, and JUST took the WISC-4 exam. (Wechsler Intelligence Scale) It looks at Verbal Comprehension, Perceptual Reasoning, Working Memory, and Processing Speed. The average score is 100.

I am a sexual, and didn't get "selected" for the Gifted and Talented Program in my school, because I wasn't "popular" enough to any of the teachers to suggest I be able to apply for the Gifted and Talented Program!

What I see, and suspect is a correlation, IQ with asexuality. I have been wondering if the "other" component, Asperger's Syndrome, affects the IQ score. I have two sons who test slightly below my numbers, and one has Asperger's, the other has Executive Cognative deficiencies, but not Asperger's. The wife scores at a level of 158, and she's an asexual, and has no Aspergers. The son that has Asperger's IS an asexual person.

Looking to me that the asexuality seems to be a larger deteminant for higher IQ score. Of course, this isn't scientific, by any means, but there is a strong trend that way from what I am observing from the Poll numbers.

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm.

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

I was going to quote several different things and respond, but I've lost track of them all, so I'm going to try and remember everything I wanted to say...

A) Someone commented that most of us landed in the genius category - I suppose that depends on how you define genius. I think it depends on the particular test you take, but most of them label genius as anywhere above 150 or 160. I believe you have to have at least a 160 to get in to Mensa. SO the 130-160 category wouldn't qualify. Sadly, lol.

B) People generally score higher when they're younger than when they're older. I believe the decline is supposed to stop somewhere in the teenage years. That could be an explanation for why some people's IQ have decreased over the years.

C) Taking a random IQ test online is NOT the same as having one administered to you by a licensed professional. Those take forEVER. They're fun, though. At least, I think they are... And they're much more accurate than those silly online things, which are really just for entertainment purposes.

D) Does anyone else find it scary that Dubya's IQ is 89?? (I think it was 89...it was somewhere in the 80s, wherever I read it.) No matter which test you go by, that qualifies as below normal. And only slightly above the official cutoff for being considered mentally impaired (which I was thinking was 80, but may in fact be closer to 60, I don't remember anymore). And yet he's the purported leader of the free world...

• 2 years later...

At 14 i got 143 on my IQ test dont know what id score these days but id hope it would be up there

I don't know, I don't care, and why does it matter? Everybody's got different strengths and weaknesses. One person might be smart, but can that person match another person in say... woodworking? Brains don't match skills.

• 1 month later...

I'm going to go ahead and say something:

If you take the results of an online IQ test as even somewhat legitimate, you do not have an IQ of over 130.

And also, something along the lines of 2% of the population has an IQ over 130. So one of three things could be happening:

1. People are submitting the scores of their online tests as legitimate, in which case, like I said, they do not have an IQ of above 130.

2. AVEN skews RADICALLY to the highly intelligent (And before you go ahead and pat yourselves on the back, this was sarcasm.)

3. People are lying.

So yes, I can say with almost complete certainty that a significant number of the respondents are, respectively, idiots, delusional or lying.

I've always kind of thought they were bs. I took one right before 1st grade, [they thought I belonged in special education classes because I wouldn't respond to my teachers but I wasn't one of those bad little kids (I thought ignoring them was funny as hell)]. The only thing I remember was it was super long (or maybe it was the ADD speaking) and I gave some random answers because I was such a brat.

Tested mine a few years ago by a professional, set at 128.

I also view Internet tests to be unreliable; also view EQ tests more important that IQ tests.

I understand that some like to or need to know thier i.q.

for me I can't be arsed as I don't need it, it won't affect me, won't make me a better or worse person... chocolate doesn't need an i.q. person to eat it

thecoldground

Well, I have an IQ of 299, but I was tested before my degree in pure logic at Mars university.

Seriously, the only voting here will do is prove is wether a person believes that an IQ is in any way a reasonable or accurate measure of intelligence. You'd have to be either quite stupid, or stunningly insecure to want to do an IQ test just to see what your IQ is, and to want to tell the world about it is another sign of massive insecurity, and/or a massive ego.

I know my various IQ's, yes they were administered by professionals, yes it comes out different on different tests. I'm smart enough to know that they're irrelevant, not because it isn't interesting to know, but because they're terrible tests when it comes to objectively measuring how intelligent a person is.

Archived