Black ring

fonfeluch

Unofficial sign of asexuality  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that black ring on the middle finger of your right hand is an unofficial sign of asexuality?

• Yes, i knew it.
    • Nope, but now i know:) (...maybe i am newbie)
  2. 2. Do You like the idea of black ring?

• Yes, i like the idea of black ring
    • I dont like the idea of black ring, i would like something else being a symbol of asexuality and i have written my suggestion below
  3. 3. Fonfeluch made a mistake and wrote that it is middle finger of right hand, whereas it is not like that

• Nope, fonfeluch is right
    • Yes, Fonfeluch have made a mistake, but i have written below what is correct

This poll is closed to new votes

I' ve only found out about the asexuality ring today.

Very good idea.

I would like to have something to wear that represents what I am and draw energy and pride from it , especially when among a group of people constantly bubbling about their sex conquers and inventing obscene sexual jokes expecting everyone around to participate and applause.

First thing tomorrow i am going to the shops to find a black ring to wear in my middle finger.

I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)

I always saw purple as the color for gay people.

purple, pink, blue-bisexual

rainbow-honosexual

Quote from the wikipedia regarding the color black

Black is the color of objects that do not emit or reflect light in any part of the visible spectrum; they absorb all such frequencies of light. Although black is sometimes described as an "achromatic", or hueless, color, in practice it can be considered a color, as in expressions like "black cat" or "black paint".

Unquote .

I think that there is a one to one relation between the color black being "achromatic" ie the lack of light emitting or reflecting and asexuals lacking sexual attraction and the discussions on asexuality whether this is considered as a sexual orientation or as no orientation at all . So for me black is the perfect colour to symbolise my asexuality.

I'm pretty sure it's actually the middle finger of the left hand... I've saved the quote in my notes, but I'm not sure who posted it.

You know, a friend of mine wears a ring on her left middle finger. Her explanation being that: your right middle means "currently single", the right ring means "currently taken" and since the left ring means "taken/married" in a permanent sense, then the next logical conclusion would be that left middle means "permanently single".

So maybe for romantic aces right middle would be fine, but I guess it depends. Either way, black rings on middle fingers are rare enough that we'll probably understand nonetheless. Also, some people may have other reasons for choosing one hand over the other.

I'm pretty sure it's actually the middle finger of the left hand... I've saved the quote in my notes, but I'm not sure who posted it.

You know, a friend of mine wears a ring on her left middle finger. Her explanation being that: your right middle means "currently single", the right ring means "currently taken" and since the left ring means "taken/married" in a permanent sense, then the next logical conclusion would be that left middle means "permanently single".

So maybe for romantic aces right middle would be fine, but I guess it depends. Either way, black rings on middle fingers are rare enough that we'll probably understand nonetheless. Also, some people may have other reasons for choosing one hand over the other.

That quote is from the third post in this thread, which is where the black ring discussion began.

• 3 weeks later...
I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)

I always saw purple as the color for gay people.

i thought pink is for gay and purple is for bisexual. i like the idea of wearing a non-black ring

I mean, I wear mine on my right. Though I am currently single, I'm not against changing that. In that regard, I don't consider myself permanently single, so I wouldn't wear it on the left.

Ultimately, I think it's personal opinion.

• 4 weeks later...

I don't like it because it seems to be a depressing symbol. I don't want asexuality to be depressing :) I'd much rather either a different colour, or something else. I don't think of the ring as the asexy symbol. Instead, I prefer to think of cake.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Ashtara_Silunar

I'm rough on jewelry, so hematite was out for me. I found a black stainless steel ring on ebay, and it's held up really well... I just have to be careful about scratching the furniture.

I actually found out about the ring bit right after a close friend killed himself, so I had a dual reason to wear a black ring. And like most people have said, after a while it felt strange to not wear it.

• 3 weeks later...

I like this idea a lot, I have been wearing a black ring for a while now after I found out about it here.

I never wore it, but then a few days ago I decided to make one with some black nail polish, hopefully it won't chip off too soon.

I like the idea, but I'm not a huge fan of jewellery - especially not on my hands, since I use them a lot (as part of my job). Things like rings/bracelets only get in the way. If I ever do decide to don the black ring, I shall do so by means of a chain about my neck.

• 2 months later...

I like the Black ring, in fact I finally bought mine last night, after hearing about his last month. I thought it was the left middle finger though, which would be better in a way cause it's right next to the ring finger which kind of adds a whole new meaning to it. Fan of double entendres*

although upon further research of ring meanings I find that most people conclude: Second finger-Saturn = Hard work leading to success , perseverance, "establishment" the corporate world .Rings not often worn here as they can block the flow of energy.

side note: the wedding ring is worn on the 3rd finger because there is a major artery/vein that runs directly to the heart, :cake: for romantic sentiments

combining hte info of those last 2 paragraphs perhaps there is finger with a vein/artery leading to the sexual organs that we could be symbolically "blocking the flow of energy" with. ^_^

p.s: I wear mine with a little Ace of hearts symbol drawn onto it with white nail polish. As of today I'm going to start putting it on my Right middle finger instead of the left, in case it is more recognisable there (wouldn't it be cool if someone walking down the street recognised that and stopped to say hi)

• 1 month later...

From a female perspective, it may seem perfect. But not all men (myself included) are in to rings. I would rather some sort of braclet. Perhaps something as simple as a coloured piece of string around one's wrist.

I like the ring idea and I don't think it wouldn't fit a male. Who said men can't wear rings? Plus, black is an elegant colour. I don't have a ring personally, at least not yet, but I'm planning on getting one soon.

I made a few out of Fimo, and am wearing my favorite right now (fresh out of the oven!). It's kind of simple and curly.

Pics will be uploaded soon, I promise. :)

• 2 weeks later...
7thNavigator

I like the idea of a black ring as a symbol of aceness just like any other symbol of it, although I choose to not wear any symbols, as I like to be just like how I am without advertizing anything.

I don't wear any ring(s), ace or otherwise, because I simply don't like wearing rings. When younger I wore a broad silver ring of a local Kalevala fashion brand on my right middle finger (no connection to asexuality here), because I found that ring beautiful. All people I met thought I was in a relashionship. I didn't like this, so I finally decided to wear no rings. Later I've grown to dislike rings and other jewelry for their sheer inpracticability.

From a female perspective, it may seem perfect. But not all men (myself included) are in to rings. I would rather some sort of braclet. Perhaps something as simple as a coloured piece of string around one's wrist.

Maybe a friendship bracelet in the colours of the AVEN flag?

Archived