Black ring

fonfeluch

Unofficial sign of asexuality  

5 members have voted

1. 1. Did you know that black ring on the middle finger of your right hand is an unofficial sign of asexuality?

• Yes, i knew it.
    • Nope, but now i know:) (...maybe i am newbie)
  2. 2. Do You like the idea of black ring?

• Yes, i like the idea of black ring
    • I dont like the idea of black ring, i would like something else being a symbol of asexuality and i have written my suggestion below
  3. 3. Fonfeluch made a mistake and wrote that it is middle finger of right hand, whereas it is not like that

• Nope, fonfeluch is right
    • Yes, Fonfeluch have made a mistake, but i have written below what is correct

This poll is closed to new votes

I first found this site years ago but I still didn't know about this until today. I like the idea because I'd really like to meet other aces and recognising each other would be a good start. Being the only one I know has been getting harder to deal with. I'll be looking out for a black ring now. :)

knoxroxmysox

I think the idea is really cool. I have a black (not hematite) ring somewhere (I don't usually/ever wear rings because they bother me when I'm writing or eating and I have to take them off), and if I can fit it on my ring finger I'll definitely consider doing this.

Just one question about the effectiveness of this symbol:

Has anyone on here actually heard of one asexual recognizing another because of a black ring on the right ring finger? Or is it more of a theoretical thing?

Anyway, maybe if the 'fad' spreads, that can happen.

I wouldn't be able to use this sign: I find rings very unconfortable.

Many of my very sexual friend wear black rings, they can be found for 1$ in every little accesory shop and are very popular.

knoxroxmysox

I put one on to see how it feels. This one's a little big, so I'll probably look for a smaller one. But it doesn't feel too bad. Maybe I'll try wearing it at college (and not around my mother). But it's kind of neat.

• 2 weeks later...

Incidentally, what do you think would be the odds of a magnetic hematite ring wiping my hard drive while I type? :o

Funny, shortly before finding this site I had taken to sometimes wearing a black "ring" on my right ring finger. OK, I get weird looks b/c it's not really a ring, so much as a small rubber band. It was holding a cord on my new cell phone and I just went, "Hey, I bet this would fit my finger!" It did and from a distance you can't tell that it's a rubber band. So, now after reading this, I've taken to wearing it on my middle finger. It's comfortable and moves with me, but I think I'll look into get a "real" ring.

I've seen some nice black titanium rings that aren't THAT expensive. I feel like I can treat myself since I don't buy or wear a lot of jewelry. Generally I might wear a ring or two, a watch, and MAYBE a necklace. I just hope I can find one I like that fits since I tend to prefer mens rings, but have small (female) fingers. Wish me luck!!

• 2 months later...

I heard that it was a hematite ring...but then, that's black anyway so it doesn't really matter. I used to wear one, but then it broke. I think its a very good idea though...

Charlotte_uk

I have to say that although I think it's a nice idea to have a wearable symbol, I personally wouldn't wear a black ring. Aside from the black looking a bit macabre and gloomy, the connotations with death are a bit too strange for me. I would have thought white (purity, life, happiness, stability, peace, etc) would be a better choice. But if everyone is settled with black then that's cool with me. I do think that for some people, having a noticeable symbol to identify other asexuals would be useful and that is more important than choice of colour.

• 2 weeks later...

I didn't know about this but I'm a newbie so that might explain it.

I might try getting a black ring but I find it difficult to find cool rings that are of my size.

Currently I'm only wearing a silver ring that I got from my friend.

• 2 weeks later...
I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)

I'd prefer purple too. But I don't wear rings. I find them cumbersome.

I've heard about it but I refuse to wear a ring on that finger because of the negative connotations it has for me.

In the type of palmistry that I studied, the middle finger (finger of Saturn) is associated with the balance between the conscious and subconscious parts of the mind, and a person who emphasizes that finger by decorating it is showing that they have a lot of energy devoted to dealing with that area of their life. It is often associated with some form of mental illness or instability.

(This is from the very "olden" days when I used to read palms, so it isn't scientific by any means, but it is still sticking with me and affecting the way that I see certain things.)

-GB

I am curious what the negative part of that is. By the way I find that really interesting and have never heard of this about the saturn finger (but I really haven't studied very much palmistry at all). Strangely, I have some inflammation problems with one of my middle fingers, and I've always had a strange lump on that finger tip for as long as I can remember (dr.s only guessed at what it might be when I was a kid). And I happen to be extremely interested in the link between these two aspects of the mind. Hmmm!

But anyway. I can't wear rings! I hate taking them off all the time, and then putting them back on, and somehow managing not to lose them every five minutes, and having to think about the crud that gets under them when I wash my hands, etc. Can't wear jewelery of any kind to bed because my body is too sensitive to it, and I tend to get inflammation in my fingers, etc. in the morning. Plus I don't really consider myself a real asexual, and have no desire to be represented as one publicly, or secret-publicly. So I guess the ring is just all around a no-go for me.

• 2 months later...

For those with small fingers who want something DURABLE:

It's kind of ironic that i only just found this post, since I've been wearing a black ring on and off for the past five years.

Except... it isn't a ring.

My boyfriend gave it to me. It started out as a black rubber gasket, but after a little bit of time the rubber hardens and turns into a flexible plastic that feels a lot like those colored jelly bracelets that everyone was wearing back when I was in middle/high school. It's thin, only about a millimeter high, and good for people who hate jewelry because it fits really well and since it's so small and flexible it never gets in the way of anything. It's also pretty gender neutral and not too feminine, so I think guys can pull it off pretty well, as well. My boyfriend wears it from time to time (he's not ace, just likes the way it looks... I'm still pretty amused by the irony) and it looks fine on him.

You can pick up a black rubber gasket at pretty much any hardware store. Not sure what department, but one of the workers would be able to point you in the right direction if you ask them about it.

I love it!

An additional idea:

What about making a new ACE? The ace of stars, perhaps?

Seems like a lot of people like the idea of the ace, but there's some debate about whether to go with hearts or spades.

The ace of stars (aka starfish) might be cool. Or just stars in general - sometimes the triangle is more heavily attributed to gay/bi. Although i suppose adopting it as a universal symbol just by itself and not as an ace card might be problematic because stars are used in the punk scene for a lot things, i think.

aven2.PNG

• 2 weeks later...
SilverCandleKid

i saw a picture of a black AND purple ring somewhere on another thread. if i find it, i'll post it.

Jillianimal
I think the black would be taken by others as a symbol of mourning. I would much rather celebrate my asexuality with a purple one. :cake: ;)

Purple is also a color of mourning. That & royalty.

But black isn't really seen as a mourning thing anymore. It's more fashionable than anything.

i saw a picture of a black AND purple ring somewhere on another thread. if i find it, i'll post it.

I have one...with little gems on it too.

SilverCandleKid

AHA! I found it!!!!

prettyring.jpg

and, in the process of looking for it, i found THIS pretty ring.

CK08-Purple.jpg

I don't know where to buy the first one, but the second one was from here.

NOTE: I believe the second one is a celtic wedding ring, so beware!!!!

AHA! I found it!!!!

prettyring.jpg

Yep, that's the one I have.

AkiraCoinTykiGotBetaMuffin

Mines made of coconut oh yer...COCONUT BITCHES - no idea I just felt like writing bitches.

Jillianimal

AHA! I found it!!!!

prettyring.jpg

and, in the process of looking for it, i found THIS pretty ring.

CK08-Purple.jpg

I don't know where to buy the first one, but the second one was from here.

NOTE: I believe the second one is a celtic wedding ring, so beware!!!!

They're soo pretty =O

inter\m/ent

*is not a jewellery person*... *actually finds jewellery quite hideous*..*even the above, although I can comprehend the appeal* I however stumbled upon a black jade ring, which was cheap and fitted my middle finger perfectly. I thought it'd be uncomfy but bought it anyway, I now feel naked without. Since they are cheap, they might become popular, in any colours.

@some comments: white is the colour of mourning for the bigger % of the world population. some cultures wear white accesories/white for 40 days or something, after the death of someone close. Colour associations are social and perceptual constructs. I also think negative things being associated with the colour black comes from a racist tradition. One in which, even when women with black hair or black eyes were loved or sexualised by a western author, they were compared with obscurity, evil etc. Even for Baudelaire, as far as i can remember...

• 1 month later...

I always thought that it was the ring finger that finger traditionaly symbolising sex or love and of course the ring should be black where not "gay" which purple denotes where asexual gays are still in essence "sexuals" the ring should be black, black exisitng in the ansence of light as asexuality exists when someone does not feel sexual attraction makes for some twisted logic but it works :). Although i geuss the black/purple ring would work well for the bi/gay asexual community but the rest of us cant really stake a claim to it and isnt the whole point of this movement to unify us as a community not to split us into subcatagories no matter how cool it may or may not look

or something i could be wrong but why exactly is it the middle finger?

• 2 weeks later...

Hello all! :) I know i'm coming late to this discussion, but for me personally, this is how I express I'm biromantic, by combining a bisexuality bracelet with two black rings on my middle fingers (more distinctive than just having it on one imo):

sginut.jpg

you're welcome to do the same if you like it! :D

Hello all! :) I know i'm coming late to this discussion, but for me personally, this is how I express I'm biromantic, by combining a bisexuality bracelet with two black rings on my middle fingers (more distinctive than just having it on one imo):

sginut.jpg

you're welcome to do the same if you like it! :D

It'd be cool if one was purple......just something I thought I may suggest :unsure:

gray_imagination

I always thought gray would be a logical color for asexuality, if it needed one, but its my favorite color so I may be biased.

Now I need a black ring...and would have to not lose it. I lose everything.

I think I prefer the black to purple. Though, purple is nice too.

In a small ring I don't see how black would be gloomy or associated with death or mourning. If we were talking about black robes or something, sure, but this is too small and offset by all the other aspects of one's garments and accessories to be a real issue. Unless you hate black or have personal associations.

• 6 months later...
Ravehcok Niloc

I vaugely remember the post about hte middle finger... various fingers mean various relationship statuses and someone determined that middle means permenently single... I have no idea where the post was, unfortunately

In western societies a ring on the middle finger can mean that you're single but it doesn't have to and not many people even follow that now so it's good to have a black ring on the middle finger right hand because it doesn't really mean single anymore so much. It's more just like (when it's black) asexuality now. Good post. I'm glad you brought that up. :D

Condemned Valour

I am not particularly fond of jewelry. However, I would like to note that a 'plain' band of such a common colour would probably not be sufficient as an indicator if you ever wanted to 'spot' someone. An insignia or common inlaid design would help to distinguish it.

• 5 months later...

Archived