My Best Friend

cijay

I've often talked about my best friend. We promised to be best friends forever...in 1970. I was turning 8 year old, she was 10. If anyone has a clear picture of my soul, she does. Nobody ever sees all of a person's soul but she comes closest.

I never told her I'm asexual for the same reason I don't tell anyone, it's not important - nobody cares. I do the interviews to promote visibility with the advantage that people I know see them and they know...but not one single person has ever said "what's THIS all about???"

Today I got an e-mail from my friend of 38 years. She said "Congrats" and talked about the article from the Journal. Her sister had told her about it and she apologised to me that she hadn't commented on it sooner but her sister told her just today. She APOLOGISED...like she had missed my birthday or something. Not a single word was said about "in all the years I've known you, you never said anything about this" or "I always wondered what was different about you." Nothing like that.

I realise when its a spousal situation, it's harder to get your head around but a message to the friends/family members - I hope you can be just as non-chalant about your friends' asexuality. It's not like they're telling you they have cancer or have joined the moonies. LOL

Archived