What do you guys think of hickeys/love bites?

yay

For anyone who doesn't know, a hickey is a mark that someone leaves on your neck by sucking on it in one spot. People do this during making out as far as I know, but probably during sex too. The mark usually appears reddish, about the size of a finger print and can last a couple days depending on how dark it is. It doesn't really hurt unless the person is trying to make it super dark, it's more of just an odd sensation. It sounds very bizarre when you explain but when it's happening, it's not as creepy as it sounds. I wonder what the difference between asexual and sexual people's views or feelings of this would be.

So what do you guys think of this?

Getting them?

Giving them?

Seeing them on other people?

In my case-

Getting them?

Meh... I've only gotten one or two but I never got anything out of it. Maybe the idea was fun but the actual act was just kind of weird.

Giving them?

I only gave one or two and that does not do anything for me as well. It just seems like this weird thing I'm doing and I don't know how long or how hard to do it. Or how this could be fun for the other person. I wouldn't volunteer it on my own, the only time I did it was because the other person asked and I was like zomg don't know how, do i have to? >>;

Seeing them on other people?

Where I come from, it's pretty normal to see. I don't think any of it when I do see it. If I do, I just assume they have a girlfriend/boyfriend. Although there are circumstances where it's inappropriate. I know in other areas its seen more of a tramp-stamp, show-off, slutty or "marking territory."

I've always thought of hickeys as being extremely trashy and vowed to never get one.

I did get one during a very lustful make out session with my boyfriend, it bothered me and still does in a way, but they go away quickly.

They are especially trashy when you see them on employees...bleh

concealed hickeys sound nice in theory. like a little reminder or secret that you and your lover alone share. highly visible hickeys that are displayed as a "badge of glory" are juvenile at best.

Mr. Ten Below

I wouldn't want to get one because having someone sucking on my skin just sounds weird. Same with giving them... weird. Seeing them on other people, usually I don't realize what they are and I think the person got bit by a bug.

the first time i saw one. i saw on a guy friend and at first i thought it was a bug bite. one really really big red bug bite. then 2 seconds later i was like. no... must be a hickey.

iono. they are pretty skanky looking i think. and since it results from sucking really hard on a spot (i think? and biting???) i dont really... get it.

whatevs.

jewel_box554
highly visible hickeys that are displayed as a "badge of glory" are juvenile at best.

That's the only type of behavior I ever see. :rolleyes: And it gets really old. People make a big deal and act all ashamed about it, then make no attempt to cover it up. A few of my friends still do that and it makes me want to slap them.

My neck is really sensitive so they can be nice, and I don't mind giving them to partners if they enjoy it. Hickeys are okay by me. When I think about it it actually does make very little sense (who thinks these things up?), but meh.

Seeing them on other people? Again, okay. I try to have the decency to not be blaringly obvious so it does annoy me a little when people make a big show of them. Oh, you encountered somebody with a mouth? Congratulations!

Most of the time when I see hickeys on others I think they are bruices or something. So they get kinda weird when I ask what happened? And everyone stars to giggle..

But I have never gotten one and don't want to give one.. If people older than about 15 has one, it's kinda trashy..

Angelica Soprano

I've had a few attempted hickeys in my life, but they get a fat lip trying too! :)

I don't like them because their existence causes people outside the music world to think I'm a big nympho who has a constant hickey on her neck. *formulates new reason as to why she gets hit on in the library so much*, especially since I've been practicing a lot lately.

I have a habit of biting my wrist, so I tend to give them to myself.

LaLunaVerde
I don't like them because their existence causes people outside the music world to think I'm a big nympho who has a constant hickey on her neck. *formulates new reason as to why she gets hit on in the library so much*, especially since I've been practicing a lot lately.

hahaha. I can totally relate. :D Oh the fun of being a violinist....:D Or a violist I guess.

I've always thought of hickeys as being extremely trashy and vowed to never get one.

Same as above.

I've never gotten one and I wouldn't like to. I wouldn't give one to someone spontaneously either (I'm not really sure how to do so and wouldn't want to hurt the other- it still looks to me like it must hurt a bit or at least feel weird for the one receiving it), but if my partner would ask, I'd probably give it a try... :blush:

I looove giving hickeys. My girlfriend makes cute sounds when I suck on her neck and gently bite her skin. I also love the feeling of her vibrating pulse beneath my lips.

I don't like receiving hickeys though, it's tickling and it can hurt, plus I don't like running around with those marks on my skin.

lonelyamoeba

I think it's just plain stupid to sport a hickey. It's immature and in bad taste....I mean, flaunting a hickey, not the fact of having got one. I would hate either giving or receiving lovebites. The thought of someone sucking or biting my skin is a huge turn off.

Smacks a leech with my stick! :angry:

Special Medically-Trained leeches?

[silence]

Note to self in an Eddie Izzard-type fashion: never refer to obscure news item again

Angelica Soprano
Special Medically-Trained leeches?

[silence]

Note to self in an Eddie Izzard-type fashion: never refer to obscure news item again

Don't care who trained it! (smacks it again!) :)

Hickeys freak me out.

I don't really understand the point of them to be honest.

And I think they look pretty ugly too.

Hickeys freak me out.

I don't really understand the point of them to be honest.

And I think they look pretty ugly too.

What others said, marks of pride. Generally you get them during sex (I guess), so it's like "I have a boyfriend" and for the guy it'slike "I hit that, and I'll probably hit it again." over generalization, but I've never seen a hickey on a guy. Also, bruises take a few weeks to fade. Better chance of the person being true with those on their skin.

I really hate hte hickeys=sex thing. I've gotten 'em, I'm still a virgin were just bruises to me. Any 'pride' I showed was just "Hello! Bruises! Abuse! Someone please recognize and help now!" (I was pathetic, honestly). And they hurt to get. Seriously, are all sexuals into S&M?! Why would they purposefully bruise each other during sex?

Working on my romantic reputation I wouldn't mind getting some frequently, say each other year... I might even start digging out and ironing white shirts if I had a lipstick wearing GF.

I've seen lots of guys with hickeys

It's seeming them on older people that's creepy... people int heir 40/50s

Never really thought about it. Have gotten a couple. Giving them is a lot of trouble. Eh, whatever.

Hallucigenia
And they hurt to get. Seriously, are all sexuals into S&M?! Why would they purposefully bruise each other during sex?

The pain level involved in a hickey depends a lot on the people involved. If your skin marks up easily and/or you have a high pain threshold and/or a skilled partner, it often doesn't really hurt, it's more of an interesting/weird sensation.

And it's not just a "during sex" thing, it's very easy to incorporate a hickey into a plain ol' clothes-on makeout. And if you do it that way, it is more likely to be in a place where people can see (since you kept your clothes on, so where else would it go?) so not everybody with a visible hickey is purposely making themselves look promiscuous, just so you know.

I would just find them a little embarrassing, especially since I don't have any high-collared shirts.

so not everybody with a visible hickey is purposely making themselves look promiscuous, just so you know.

I mentioned that, but that's how everyone associates them. I've heard a couple "I'm a virgin" "But the hickey!" type conversations.

Archived