I came out

IT

Hello All

I 'came out' on Tuesday! After work I had a couple drinks with a friend I'd known for a long while. The conversation moved on a pace after he started talking about me going on a dating site and I had to explain why that may be a little bit difficult!

He actually mentioned Asexual before me which was quite a surprise. After I slightly nervously explained my lack of sexual attraction he said something along the lines of "It's ok to be an Asexual you, know" and went on to explain that he finds romantic emotional attachment every bit as important as sex and that I shouldn't worry about finding the right girl as long as she understands what I am sexuality wise.

It's probably something I could not have discussed with a sexual friend without this forum, so thanks a lot guys for being here for me as well as for each other. It's the first time I've discussed it face to face with someone and it felt quite good to be honest!

Cate Perfect

*cheers and claps in an unladylike way*

It's a great feeling, isn't it? Especially when the other person figures it out on their own and you don't have to go through the 'No, I didn't just make it up', conversation.

And now you have an ally! Congratulations! :D

Cate

Congrats, It Wiz! It always makes me a little nervous to come out to folks as "a." *hardy slaps on the back* :D I'm so glad you could be open with your friend.

Live R Perfect

Well done old chap!! :D

Its amazing to me, the number of people here who have said that other people have guessed they were asexual before they actually came out. There are obviously a lot more people out there who are AWARE of asexuality than we tend to assume.

*wild cheering and clapping off screen, maybe a little lighter-waving* Woo-hoo! I'm glad it went well and your friends accepted you. That's what friends are for, right? Welcome to the club!

Hurray!

I know it's a great feeling to have people that you can be open with. Congradulations!

-Greybird

Bravo. It's pretty wacky that your friend was so knowledgeable (..compared to Joe Sexual). It's also very cool that he understood so well and cared so much - when I've told my friends in the past (granted, they're quite a bit younger than yours), I usually get nervous grunts that say 'Right.. just you wait!'

Great that AVEN has helped you. There's one for the testimonials!

--davidey

Its amazing to me, the number of people here who have said that other people have guessed they were asexual before they actually came out. There are obviously a lot more people out there who are AWARE of asexuality than we tend to assume.

Same here. I don't think anyone ever approached the issue with me before. It's nice that the awareness is out there - not just in here. Good to hear it IT.

Archived