Asexuals of the world, unite!

A-listed

In another thread, I proposed that we organize a movement to educate the public about asexuality and overcome the heteronormative bias against us. I'm not exactly sure how to go about it, though. Gays and lesbians held demonstrations in which they shocked heterosexist society with open displays of sexuality, but there's nothing comparable that we can do. We do desperately need visibility, though. And we need to perform outreach to asexuals who don't even know about asexuality and are fighting themselves to fit into a sex-normative role.

What can we do?

I think that first of all we should accept and understand ourselves, not necessarily as a group, but as individuals. Once we have an understanding of ourselves, we are in a better position to put forward the notion that there are people out there who don't feel sexual attraction to others, by using our individual selves and situations as an example.

For the past 10 years I've been fairly active in the world of bdsm, which in it's own way is considered a very sexually orientated activity. Yet I've fitted very well into the lifestyle, despite not being sexually attracted to those involved. It's only recently that I've understood the term 'Asexual' and realised that applies to me as a person. So now, whenever someone asks or mentions about sexual matters, I use the opportunity to explain the concept of asexuality and where I fit into that concept.

Spread the word gradually - through whispers if you like - and if, as individuals, we open the eyes of even one person and make them aware that we exist and are real, then our acceptance will gradually grow, without the need for rallies and demonstrations etc.

Point people in the direction of Aven - this is our point of contact, resource and outreach. The more we promote Aven, the greater will be the understanding from those who are looking for answers as to why they don't feel sexual attraction to either gender.

It's interesting that you're into BDSM. I've long been curious about it, though I never have explored it.

I am very much at ease with my asexuality and am happy to talk about it with people I trust. The problem with that is that most people refuse to believe that asexuality is a real sexual orientation; they think that it must be a manifestation of mental illness, traumatic experiences, hormonal problems, or some sort of cover-up ("you just can't get a woman/man"). And bringing people around can take YEARS. I was in relationships with a couple of people who took years to understand and accept my asexual orientation. I just don't have years to spend with random people. Publicity is what we need.

I've told family and friends, and because they know me well, they've accepted :lol: That might be also because of my age, however. I'm a bit old at 65 to be a "late bloomer." There have been a few who were not close to me who have said"it's never too late!" I shot those down, without a long explanation.

Never had anybody ask me any questions about being A, so as far as I know, those who I have told have understood.

I can see outreach programs, but demonstrations? From all that I have read through Aven, many start out feeling very lost and alone in their feelings (including myself) If there was some way to reach out to those people, it would be worth the effort to try something.

I think Brian said it well. We need to accept and understand ourselves first before being able to help or educate others. Maybe a lot of you are already there, but I would sure hate to see asexuals turn into demonstrators. What would be the purpose of it? It's not like we have legal issues or laws to contend with. We are all individuals with different sexual, or non-sexual, preferences. Even inside the asexual family, there are many definitions.

If those who are comfortable with educating the public about their non-sexual orientation, then go for it. But I think it's places like Aven and word of mouth, that will have the most impact. People are more willing to listen, learn and accept, when they are not forced into doing so.

just my 2cents...for what it's worth :rolleyes: lol

Archived