NEW FORUM SOFTWARE IS UP!

The Evil Cashew

The Evil Cashew

Ok Everyone,

IPB is now up, and as promised we tried to keep the downtime to a minimum but there are ALOT of details to set up.

That being said PLEASE BE AWARE - only the basics are set up. Skins WILL be comming shortly as will changes to profiles and anything else that is not done.

I had to re-set up permission for the (h)haven forum and the Book forum - so if you are supposed to be seeing these and are NOT seeing them. please let me know. ((i am still in the process of doing these.....))

If you have any other questions or concerns please voice them to myself or Coleslaw (or any other admin) and we will see about getting things set up.

Anyway guys, here is your new forum!

The address HAS CHANGED!! PLEASE UPDATE YOUR BOOKMARKS!! (tho the old link does redirect)

PLEASE HAVE PATIENCE WITH US. THERE IS ALOT TO BE DONE

EDIT: IT seems the chat may be having issues of not showing users.... DJ is working on it

Edit 2: here is the chat link if you want to use it: http://www.asexuality.org/chat/flashchat.php

~Cashew

Nico-Nico Friendo

Sweet. I've been waiting for this all day! It's going to take some getting used to, though.

You know . . . I am a little disturbed by the 'troll graveyard' . . . Why is that there?

Huge thanks to Cash and Cole, this is really exciting! We're gonna be able to do so much more with this new software...

I've been working on backend database stuff to make sure everything's spic and span. The wiki is functioning, and I've almost got chat back online...

Nico-Nico Friendo

I was wondering what happened to the chat. I see it must not be back up, yet.

Woo, my first post in IPB AVEN!

And I start with a couple of questions. First, to the left of the textarea I'm typing in now, there smiley and quick access menus. Why are they there? All of those options are in the toolbars above this box. Getting rid of the sidebar is a one click job so it's not annoying or anything, just wondered.

Secondy: What's going from the profiles? I guess the friends thing is as it kind of detracts from the all inclusive feel of AVEN but how else will the profiles be "made simpler"?

I think I could get to like this thing you know. :)

I'm ... afraid of change. This is so ugly!

Anyway, it seems to have updated itself in my bookmark, or it redirects me there from my bookmark or some such thing.

Is it ever going to look like regular AVEN? Or is it permanently changed?

I don't know how to work this board.

Ooh, this is really easy on the eyes. Nice to read. :) I like it. Now I just have to remember that the "Reply Button" is not, in fact, in the place that is now "Report." Righto. I can do that.

Nico-Nico Friendo

Why does it say my Inbox is full? I deleted a whole TON of PMs and STILL it says it's too full (like 125% full even though I only have 2 pages worth of messages).

Nico-Nico Friendo

Oh yeah, and I hope people will fix their profiles, as that's what I had to do. It seems everyone's information on their asexuality status was deleted. And another thing I don't like . . . the gender thing only gives 3 options. I liked when I could write in what I wanted for that part (like type in: 'biologically female' for example). Can you fix that?

Wow...new forum! And here's my first post on it! It's pretty spiffy...gonna take some exploring and getting used to, (I realize it's in the rough right now anyway), but still...something new! Fun!

I hope we get AVEN purple up soon though, cause this non-purple board...it feels like I came home to find someone randomly painted my room a different colour while I was away. D=

Mostly, I like. :cake: :cake: :cake: for Coleslaw and Cashew!!

Lots of whitespace, though - the information under the avatar on each post seems to take up much more room than before. And I WISH that the "Submit" button (or "Add reply" as it is now) was actually next to the box you type your posts in :angry:

And I miss :wink: :roll: and :shock:, but I'll get over that. Any chance we can get those back, if only to make old posts look right?

The Evil Cashew
Mostly, I like. :cake: :cake: :cake: for Coleslaw and Cashew!!

Lots of whitespace, though - the information under the avatar on each post seems to take up much more room than before. And I WISH that the "Submit" button (or "Add reply" as it is now) was actually next to the box you type your posts in :angry:

And I miss :wink: :roll: and :shock:, but I'll get over that. Any chance we can get those back, if only to make old posts look right?

those emoticons are there.... do you not see them? its just the code for them is different. the look of the board is still being worked on tho. patience please..... we just wanted to get it back up ASAP cuz so many poeple were sad/worked up about it being down for *GASP* 6 hours. There was only so much we could do in that time. Sorry.

thanks for the cake. Avenguy helped too

~Cashew

Nico-Nico Friendo

I'm kind of wondering when the chat will be back up . . .

those emoticons are there.... do you not see them? its just the code for them is different. the look of the board is still being worked on tho. patience please..... we just wanted to get it back up ASAP cuz so many poeple were sad/worked up about it being down for *GASP* 6 hours. There was only so much we could do in that time. Sorry.

thanks for the cake. Avenguy helped too

~Cashew

Don't apologise - you did a great job getting it back up so quickly :)

As for the emoticons, the new ones are sort of similar, and I think everyone will get used to them. I personally type my emoticons, so I got caught out typing :oops:, and getting well ":oops:". Also, they've fallen back to text on all the old posts, which is no biggie, and certainly not something I'd bother about short-term.

And you can give the third bit of :cake: from my last post to AVENguy, or did you eat it already? :)

[Edit: and I absolutely LOVE the Quick editor for removing typos!!!]

Hmm, well I wasn't able to try out the software during the test periods, so this is my first time with it and it seems, so far, to be highly nifty! It does render a little slower in Firefox, though...

The posting page has a bunch of useful stuff on it, and a far bigger box to type in. You can even resize the box for typing in one of the long posts that tends to happen around here from time-to-time. The list-makers are a little strange, but simple to use. The side panel can be made to go away with relative ease, and there seems to be a bunch of new smiles around (I imagine the :wub: smiley will be heavily abused in the near future...). Oh, and clicking on the smilies in the side panel actually puts the smiley where the cursor is located, rather than at the end of the post! Huzzah!

On the bottom of the index page, there seems to be something about viewing what logged-on, non-invisible members are doing. It's about as interesting as staring at a bucket of dried paint, but it's a random feature. Yay for random features!

Well, that's about it for initial impressions. Good job, and thank you for putting so much work into this place!

:cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: :cake: to all of you for a job well done!

The Evil Cashew
I'm kind of wondering when the chat will be back up . . .

The chat is running..... and coleslaw was supposed to have put a link up...not sure where tho.... i will get the link and post it in my first post in the thread. be warned tho.. the chat is sorta buggy unless dj managed to fix it. i know he didnt seem to have the time tonight

~Cashew

whooooooaaaaa....

I almost thought that Aven had been replaced by some sort of evil vanilla site alien creators, till I saw the Aven purple logo. Now I just think that Aven has been heavily influenced by some evil vanilla sie alien creators.

Make...the board skin....purple. Let people change the skin FROM the purple skin to this skin if they want. But by god, I need that purple. Seriously.

Edit: MY icon, my ICON! AHHHHHHHH! I'm FAT! NOOOOOO!

whoa, this is an upgrade. very nice.

It's lovely. :) Awesome.

One thing that is...er..moderately annoying is when someone links to another thread in their post I can't get to it now... =/

I may just be your friendly neighborhood lurker, but I miss the AVEN purple. Other than that, I haven't really been around long enough to make attatchments to anything else from the old forums. So, yay, updates!

Also, the grammar nazi in me is screaming that "a lot" is two words, not one. *slinks away*

I loved aven because it was different from any other forum. now it is the same as other forums that I don't frequent. and I agree about feeling like somebody has painted your room while you were away. I miss purple. and the old layout. :( but everyone else likes this one.

Question: While posting in another topic, I noticed an attachment panel, for the purpose of attaching small files to one's posts, I presume. However, in this topic, I don't see such a panel. Is it disabled in some topics? Was it taken down for now (because hosting more stuff on the AVEN server might get troublesome)? Have I gone selectively blind?

I loved aven because it was different from any other forum. now it is the same as other forums that I don't frequent. and I agree about feeling like somebody has painted your room while you were away. I miss purple. and the old layout. :( but everyone else likes this one.

Looks purdy, thanks for everyone's hard work! Cait, I think they said people'll be able to customise once everything is finished.

It's lovely. :) Awesome.

One thing that is...er..moderately annoying is when someone links to another thread in their post I can't get to it now... =/

That's easy enough to get around. The conversion did not change the topic IDs (at least I think they are all the same). Only the URL format is different. Take the phpBB2 URL, and copy the topic ID (the number after the "t=") into an IPB URL.

For example:

http://asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic...?t=29479

becomes

http://www.asexuality.org/en/index.php?sho...ic=29479.

The part that you have to copy, the topic ID number, is in bold.

I would imagine that it would be fairly easy to write a script that goes through the entire database looking for internal links and changing them to the new format (but then the forum would probably have to be taken down again). If some kind of script is required to convert the database, (I'm not sure if a script is necessary, or if the database can be used more or less as-is), it should really fix URLs as well as converting to the new format.

It would also be possible to write a PHP script which redirects to the correct IPB URL, and place it at /discussion/viewtopic.php (the old phpBB2 installation would have to be removed). Such a script would be extremely simple to write (probably 2 or 3 lines; I don't know PHP, so I'm not quite sure).

Also, does IPB track individual unread posts, or does it only track unvisited threads? I'm not seeing anything different between posts that I've read before and ones that I haven't.

The chat is running..... and coleslaw was supposed to have put a link up...not sure where tho.... i will get the link and post it in my first post in the thread. be warned tho.. the chat is sorta buggy unless dj managed to fix it. i know he didnt seem to have the time tonight

~Cashew

Where is the chat, anyway?

Nalle Neversure

The switch ate the old 'saved PMs' folder? I only have inbox and the messages haven't moved thre...

(I didn't print the PMs. didn't come to my mind... :( )

When I got here I thought it looked a bit "1998". :lol:

Now it feels very state-of-the-art. This color is ok with me, but I think the old purple would look nice too.

Super-likee!!!! :)

Archived