1. 1.

• Sure, it's good
    • Occasionally, but not very often
    • Ew it's gross!
    • I just never bothered to try.
    • I used to, but not anymore.

This poll is closed to new votes

pale.gif

I like a drink :), but not to the excess of many of my fellow British bretheren. It saddens me to see how it has become such a core part of our culture.

I've been to the USA several times over the past few years and am always shocked how tight the rules are on the purchase of alcohol in many states. It says a lot about society where it's easy to buy a lethal weapon (which a ridiculous constitution says you have the 'right' to own) yet getting a beer is more difficult! :x

One of the problems in the UK is the silly licensing laws. They tightly restrict the hours in which booze can be consumed. This encourages what is known as 'binge' drinking within those hours. Other countries in Europe are more flexible which seems to work better.

However I guess it's all cultural really. :idea: I'd like to see more informed decisions on coercing people to drink more responsibly.

As for the mention of american beer being like sex in a canoe... I've never had sex in a canoe (no honestly, I never have!) but I know American beer is amongst the worst in the world! Czech beer rules!

I drink occasionally, and never to get drunk. I stop at a buzz, and I never have more than 2 drinks a night. Beer is nasty (that's just me) along with other things that I won't mention now. I was raised Jewish, so for me, all wine that I've tried to date tastes like Manishewitz. I use it for cooking, and that's about it. I have found some drinks that I like.

stargazer21

I've never really had alcohol - to date I can count the number of times I've had alcohol on one hand. I don't have anything against alcohol - I've just never seen the appeal of it. I share the sentiment of a lot of other people in so far as the idea of losing control of myself isn't very appealing. However, I'm probably going to start drinking with some friends soon who I am very comfortable with just because I feel I need to learn my limits at some point in time - even I never really plan on drinking.

What a coincidence. I just got hole from ye old Liquor Control Board of Ontario carrying a case of Rickard's. I don't drink as much as I used to. Usually just wine actually. The odd special occasion I will go out with my buddies and get totally fishnickered. Most people are depressive drunks, but I have been told that I am one of the happiest drunks on the planet.

So uh...yeah. Drinking. I like my beer dark, I love my wine rack, and the liquor cabinet is a thing of beauty. I know it certainly sounds like it, but I don't consider myself an alcoholic. Perhaps at one time, yes. I rarely do drink. I have red wine several times a week as it is good for the heart.

-Doc

My father is a wine hobbiest at worst and connisseur usually. He's been teaching me about wine for about a year and a half. I can taste the things that most people can't ("Cinnamon? Leather? BARNYARD? What are you TALKING about?!"). So yes, I drink, but only wine and only at home.

--davidey

Cate Perfect

mmmmmm Manishewitz. Yummy. If you like that, you'd probably also like port.

Cate

bard of aven

Need an "I love it but never" category. I'm a retired alcoholic. Have not done any serious drinking since winter solstice, 1988, or any at all since St Patrick's Day, 1989.

I do like n/a beer, especiallly the euro varieties like haakenbecke, kaliber, clausthauler, etc. So far as I know, there isn't any beer made in the United States. Just a sort of watery tasteless barley and hops consumee is all our brewers seem able to come up with.

boa

Silly Green Monkey

I took the poll, so I can't add a 'Not Anymore' option to it.

fluffy_hime

Red wine can trigger migraines.

Apple--your beer sucks and your constitution is ridiculous!

since 3/17/1989... somebody just had a 15 year anniversarry!

Congrats on sobriety, boa!

Cate Perfect

Fluffy, Apple Pie was saying that OUR constitution made getting a lethal weapon more difficult than getting a beer. England doesn't have a constitution.

Cate

Congrats, boa, I'm proud of you!

OMG, folks. Last Feb my friend had a baby and she said never again did she want to go through a summer with no beer and a Christmas with no wine. She said the next baby'll be either a Sept. baby so she can at least have wine at Christmas or May so she can have beer in the summer. Well, she just found out...she's once again in for a beerless, wineless year.

My mother didn't touch a drop of alcohol while pregnant with me, and I turned out bitter and nearly always depressed. During pregnancy with my sister, she did drink (not to excess, but the odd glass of wine with my father - see my above post) and she (my sister) is this ridiculously joyful bundle of enthusiasm, optimism, friendliness, and ..joy. Maybe there's something to this?

Kidding..

--davidey

fluffy_hime
Fluffy, Apple Pie was saying that OUR constitution made getting a lethal weapon more difficult than getting a beer. England doesn't have a constitution.

See! I knew it sucked! :D

Cate Perfect

LOL@Fluffy!

Cate

Ooooo :shock: I don't drink alcohol. One day (it was my birthday) I tried... and it was very bad two days. Temperature, vomiting... fuuu. I will never drink. But my doctor said me I have an excellent immunity :D

My mother didn't touch a drop of alcohol while pregnant with me, and I turned out bitter and nearly always depressed.

Well, my dad says my mom got drunk on sangria a lot while she was pregnant with me. I know she likes sangria, but she says she's never been drunk. Besides, I'm okay (he said from the computer lab to the asexual website)

I tend not to believe my dad so much since I was nine and he threatened to kill me with a butcher knife.

• 9 months later...

I love wine & I love whisky...

Used to drink beer (it was all I could afford then) but it's too gassy.

I enjoy getting drunk (not raving, not outofcontrol, just sweetly mildly pissed- it's an anaesthetic against a rather harsh world.) I do not get hungover. I have never drunk until I was 'shitfaced' as the expression goes. And I'll continue to drink until my dying day- cheers! Kia ora! Islander9

No, I haven't had an alcohol yet, and I doubt that will change.

I have nothing against it, but, as others have said, I don't likt the thought of losing control.

Heh..... No sex, no drugs, no alcohol for me.... I can just say I'm "straight-edge" and avoid having to come out at all. :lol: That's what I did until I actually found out about asexuality, at least.

As for the alcohol..... my Dad's an alcoholic, my Mom was one, and most of my grandparents are or were (3 out of 4 are still living, and all three still drink, I'm pretty sure). I've seen and heard too much about the stuff's effects to want to try it myself. Besides, I have a huge phobia about hospitals, and the health ramifications of smoking, drinking and certain drugs scare the crap out of me.

Do I drink alcohol?

Is the Pope catholic? ;)

Yes.

I go through phases. Sometimes I drink nearly every night. I try not to have those phases too often.

Mainly I stay sober from Monday morning to 5pm on Friday and then see what happens over the weekend. That's what I'm doing at the moment. Sometimes I even make it til Saturday morning without a problem, although I'll usually drink something over the weekend.

Once I was sober for 4 months (that nearly killed me...)

So why is American beer like having sex in a canoe?

Because it's fucking close to water. (I'd swear I answered this question somewhere else on this board...)

According to my midwife sisters and obstetrician relation, it's only during the first trimester that alcohol should be avoided. The occaisional beer or wine over the following six months is OK. It's up to breastfeeding individuals to decide whether they'll have the odd glass while suckling (some babies react very quickly and badly to alcohol, and kids & alohol in general, just dont mix.)

I've never bothered to try. Willingly.

Mind you, having your father insist you try drinking alcohol isn't a pleasant thing.

I like martinis.

I hate everything else, basically.

I used to take my dad's martini olives for my own. :twisted:

But yeah...that was when I was 4-10. Eh...heh heh....Yeah...

Archived