Willamette University

VivreEstEsperer

VivreEstEsperer

I was bored tonight and decided to go on the website for the college that my brother goes to and see if anything interesting was happening there. The college is Willamette in Salem, Ore.
I went to the site for their gay straight alliance, and under the Who's Welcome section, there were a bunch of descriptors - I thought to myself, "wonder if they'll have asexual?" and guess what, they actually did -

Who is welcome?
Everyone! Gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, asexual, obsessed or lethargic, there is a place for you here.

So that's really cool, one of the few places I've seen asexuality mentioned in a queer space...or for that matter any space. I emailed the club pres. to let her know of my/our appreciation.

Site address: http://www.willamette.edu/org/angles/angles/angles.html

Anyone know of any other gay straight alliances with asexual in their posted "mission statement" so to speak other than Avenguy's?

Kate

2012 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but the content can be found here. For future reference:

ANGLES

Willamette University's Queer-Straight Alliance

Who are we?

Angles is a queer - straight alliance formed to provide and encourage the support, education, and visibility of gay - lesbian - bisexual - transgendered concerns and issues in the Willamette / TIUA community. Our aim is to create an awareness and celebration of differing perspectives and lifestyles.

We are here as a support group for queer and questioning students who are in the process of coming to terms with their sexuaity. Also, as guides and friends to those undertaking the brave and confusing journey of COMING OUT!!!

When and where?

We meet every Wednesday at 9 pm in the Women's Center, on the 3rd floor of the Putnam University Center.

What do we do?

We hold weekly meetings wherein the campus queer community can find a safe place to talk and be themselves. Also, our meetings serve as a platform through which we organize campus-wide events and activism. Movie nights, ribbon campaigns, tabling in Goudy, activism, working with other student groups, clubbing in Portland... whatever comes up! Check out our
!

What are we here for?

This year our priorities can be summed up in a word: AWARENESS! We aim to increase visibility on our campus and rattle the bones of the Willamette puritan ideal. Avowed enemies of peer pressure and conformity, we aim to be OURSELVES in all the multicolored splendor of our diversity, and through example steer the campus towards mental and cultural freedom.

Who is welcome?

Everyone! Gay, straight, lesbian, bisexual, transsexual, asexual, obsessed or lethargic, there is a place for you here.

Any questions?

Email the director
, or come to a meeting and check it out for yourself. Everyone is welcome at our meetings!

DISCLAIMER (click here)

Aww... I'm so sad now...

I went and looked at the GLASS Website (Gay and Lesbian Association of Students and Staff, a Uof Calgary student group), and here's what they said

"Lesbian, bi, gay, trans, straight, unsure, all are welcome!"

But I guess from the name it shouldn't be too surprising.. They're a pretty cool bunch (although many of them are *very* sexual .. very... =~.~'=)

VivreEstEsperer

Aww, Wy, well most of them wouldn't have asexual, I don't think.

She responded to my email... I forget what she said... well, nothing relevant anyway...but that was cool.

Oh..it says on their website that Willamette is the most often mispronounced college, lol. I can never remember how to pronounce it right. Or, I can remember, but I never do it right on the first time.

Kate

Archived