Beliefnet.com discussion

(SP)

Wow...

It's been at least 3 or so years since i last browsed anything on Beleifnet.. there were a lot of people operating under some pretty presumptuous assumptions.. I'd say.. (but it's not like i've never had a similar conversation before.. minus the reference to 'but it's what god tells us to do' type of stuff...)

Hmm...

bard of aven
I am but an Edwardian fountain of links.

Aren't I ?

Say it.

sacredprofane is the Edwardian fountain of links

all thank sacredprofane

may his links grace us forever

boa

fluffy_hime

Sounds like Stardancer25 could be one of us!

I thought asexuality was mitosis?

Either way, I find it highly immoral.

Its alright, you'll grow out of it.
You're going to have a job...evolution requires genetic succession...of which you aren't going to have any!
It changes, believe me, in a couple years time, when more hormones and a lightened up personality kicks in, you'll probably laugh at this stage in your life.
It has been said that the only unnatural sexual activity is no sexual activity at all. But, that aside, I do have some trouble understanding why someone would VOLUNTARILY go without sex.

Excellent.

...so does it occur to anyone else that, thanks to google, we actually constitute a vast conspiracy monitoring all online discussion of asexuality ANYWHERE? Someone drops the term in a random religious forum and within hours Team O is there in the shadows taking notes.

Man. Some of those people are nitwits.

"I LIKE SEX SO EVER1 IN TEH WORLD MUST LIKE TEH SEX TWO!111"

That's a paraphrase, by the way. God forbid people have different feelings about what they do and do not want to do with their own body parts.

But the "it's great that you're waiting till marriage!!" crowd drives me just as bonkers.

EDIT: LMAO!! DJ, it's scary but true!

I like the one who brought up the point that even Jesus was a virgin when he died. Lets see you tell him that he's immature and will grow out of it, maybe if they would have waited a few more years to crusify him eh?

...so does it occur to anyone else that, thanks to google, we actually constitute a vast conspiracy monitoring all online discussion of asexuality ANYWHERE? Someone drops the term in a random religious forum and within hours Team O is there in the shadows taking notes.

LOL! So true. Hey! It's a good thing... *cackles quietly*

*edit* doy, an asexual who can't even spell virgin, there's a sad one for you lol.

fluffy_hime

So, are you unhappy with that, DJ? I wasn't hostile by any means. I addressed the asexuals and ignored the idiots. (Kind of like how I operate in every day life.) This is good...we are spreading the message of asexual acceptance! We move among the masses, dropping an encouraging word here and there! We are a beacon for asexuals worldwide! Erm...

wednesday's child

I've noticed that myself... :?

I once participated in a Beliefnet dialogue group about spirituality and sexuality... (unfortunately the title escapes me, so I haven't been able to find the archive.) Among the group there, most were really positive when presented with the idea of asexuality. I guess you really get all kinds at Bnet, though, it's such a monstrously huge site. :o

• 3 weeks later...

Reading this disturbing backlash against asexuality made me realize something: another stereotype that people might have of us. Do some people really think that all asexuals are monks and nuns, if not now then sometime in the future??

I've been back to that thread on beliefnet and I want to thank fluffy & ehartsay for contributing. I just haven't had time.

I'll write something for the beliefers soon about my own take on their thread. And as for that "when you can make an informed decision . . . "

It's just a permutation of the "it's a phase" line most of us have heard time & again.

I'm in middle age & I'm still hearing it.

• 4 weeks later...
alexparker

I felt sorry for the person who started that post and had to deal with that idiot alone for pages...

part of the problem in discussions like this seems to be that there are so many differnt people not wanting sex for so many differnt reasons... all this stuff about an anti-sex movement, ties in with the celibacy till marriage things America tries to promote amongst its teens, it kind of looses the point of Asexuality which isnt about being morally superior or even a choice.

If only people would find out what asexual actually means.

hmm i was having a "teach the world to sing moment there" apologies

• 2 months later...
Blue_Liminality

[sigh]

I admit It.

I am/was StarDancer25.

But once I realized these people weren't listening to a word I said, i just gave up. They weren't worth my time.

fluffy_hime

Whoa, Blue! Why the much delayed "confession"?

Did you find AVEN through that link I posted there?

Blue_Liminality
Whoa, Blue! Why the much delayed "confession"?

Did you find AVEN through that link I posted there?

Naw, someone gave me an Aven link from antisexual site. I found Aven weeks (or was it months?) after I visited beliefnet. I guess I didn't confess because of embarrassment. :oops:

I must admit I was surprised by the hostility I encountered. My only regrets, though, are that 1]I wish found Aven before I made that thread and 2] I should have debated more. Or at least made a clear distinction between celibacy, asexuality, and antisexuality. But I doubt that would have helped matters.

Ah well. You win some, you lose some.

Archived