Work work work

AVENguy

Ok, so this isn't the forum for this, but no one would look under "site comments" if I posted there. (Tell me you would, and you'll get a cookie, or something.) T'any rate, I'm revamping the website. A new links section should be up with some stuff for people to check out, hopefully some other sections before the end of the day...

Ok, I went through and gave the static section of the site a new look to make it more consistent with the forum. I also tweaked, dropped and added some content:

<li>The "Asexuals and society" post has been renamed, and I dropped the call-to-armsy last sentence.</li>
    <li>The section describing sexual attraction I've dropped entirely.</li>
    <li>I renamed the section describing asexual to merely "the AVEN symbol", as that's most of what it's about.</li>
    <li> and last but not least, I put up a section from the old "ranges of asexuality post." (Accessible through the "information on asexuality" page. If anyone could skim it over for me for typos/grammatical errors I would be very appreciative.</li>

Let me know if anyone has any disagreements/requests/submissions concerning the static content. As always I live to serve...

'Umbly

-AG

VivreEstEsperer

Hey DJ!

Excellent work. I love how you revamped the asexuality info sections and make them more easily readable and even aesthetically pleasing (lol why do i seem to use the word aesthetic so much on this board)? I especially love the degrees of asexuality part - spelling it all out like that really helps me see once and for all where I fit into the asexuality spectrum. It's an asset to this site.

I read it over for typos and grammar and I found no mistakes. However, the last two sentences were unclear to me:

"As with all sexual orientations, asexuality is experienced in degrees, and no one actually experiences no sexual attraction just as no one only experiences attraction to men (see the AVEN symbol.)"

What do you mean, no one experiences no sexual attraction? I don't get that.

"As with other sexual orientations people can become or cease to be asexual as the term is and is not applicable to their life, though such instances are rare."

While I think it's entirely possible for the orentation of asexuality to change or develop perhaps more frequently than other sexualities, I'm wondering if gays would be offended by something essentially saying that they could change or become that way and that they werent born like that. What I mean is the statement is applicable to asexuality but necessarily the other sexualities.

Kate

1st comment: I agree, too too too many negatives. I've re-worded the sentece to read:

"sexuality is experienced in degrees, and asexual people experience a minimal level of sexual attraction just as

straight men experience neglidgable attraction to other men"

I don't know if that's any clearer, I'm trying to make a point that there are no absolutes. Better? Worse? Any suggestions?

2nd comment: Why would saying that someone can become gay necessarily imply that everyone was born straight? In reasonably rare instances people who identify as strongly straight or gay wind up in relationships with people the gender of whome surprises them. It's unclear whether their "real" sexual orientation has drifted or their understanding of it has merely expanded, but sexual orientation CAN change over time, and there's no reason to think that the same thing can't happen with asexuality. The catch (of course) is that though it can change of it's own accord it can't be forced to change. Gay people can't be made straight, nor can asexual people be made sexual.

I put alot of thought in to how to bring this one up, because I want to acknowledge the possibility that asexual people can become sexual without letting people think that all asexuals will "eventually come round."

VivreEstEsperer

Hmm.. it's definitely better, I can understand what you're saying, but I still don't agree with it.

And before i go any further- negligible is spelled as such, might wanna change that. :)

Okay, so A) I thought we agreed that some asexuals experience absolutely no sexual attraction whatsoever. I think what you're trying to say is that it is possible for asexuals to have a low degree of sexual attraction?

B) All I'm saying is that saying gay people can change, or saying that all straight men experience attraction other men to some degree, unnecessarily alienates two communities that are very important to us. Yes, asexuality can change in a person over time, but I don't think that phenonemon is necessarily parallel to gays and lesbians. I'm suggesting that ya just take out the part about it happening to gays too.

Maybe change the first part to:

"sexuality is experienced in degrees, and some asexual people experience a minimal level of sexual attraction just as sometimes straight men are tempted to think about being with other guys."

Kate

I, too, think that the sentence about there being minimal/maximum levels of asexuality reads a little ambiguous.

Since your point is, "There are no absolutes," why not state something like this, which says exactly what you mean?

"Although the term "asexuality" literally means "without sexual desire," it should be made clear that there are no absolutes that apply. There are instances when an asexual person, in fact, can feel sexual desire, yet still identify themselves as asexual."

...or something like that.

Kate's suggestion was also good.

-----------------------------------

Congratulations on the rest of your work! :)

Archived