Why do people want to hold hands?

pure_orange

Most of the times i've held hands with someone have been at festivals and concerts - so as not to lose eachother in crowds.

But with romantic partners (not that i've got a huge amount of experience to draw from) it can be a nice, comforting thing. However I think sometimes there's a time and a place - although I may just feel that way because I never got far enough into the relationships to be completely comfortable with holding hands at any given moment. The first one maybe... I specifically remember being at a festival with my first girlfriend, watching Bloc Party, and holding hands definitely heightened the experience. We could feel that we were sharing the moment, and a little squeeze can say a lot ^_^ And with her I didn't mind walking through the crowds holding hands. However, when I was seeing another person I didn't feel totally comfortable, for example, walking down the street holding hands. I think it just depends on the environment i'm in, and the person itself. On the second occasion I wondered if it was some deep-rooted fear of unwanted attention (you don't often see two girls walking down a street in Liverpool holding hands, whereas there's a more 'anything goes' attitude at most festivals). It could also have been because I didn't feel as emotionally close to this second person.

"We are exchanging complex protein strands. If you can think of a better way, I'd like to hear it."

• 2 weeks later...

I like holding hands with something in-between. Like my sleeve or my glove (sleeve more, i have short arms ;__; ) I agree, it gets sweaty but it's a nice feeling being "protected"

I personally just grab their arms more than hands, especially with friends. I never have done that with a significant others much, mostly just random people.

I think I'd like to cuddle more, but either way is fine for me I guess ^_^

• 2 weeks later...
I really don't like it because it makes your hands all sweaty and I like controlling me own hands.

I was just wondering if someone could please tell me the thrill of it all

(or send me to an already made topic about this)

Thankyou.

I didn't understand this either until I had my first (or maybe second...depends on how you define it) sexual attraction. (Though I'm not sure if I would have understood it after the first "attraction" if thats what it was)

Basically, It makes you feel all good inside (emotionally). It basically is the same feeling you get when you are attracted to someone... it just brings up those attraction feelings.

I don't know why you'd feel sweaty. Even when I hold someone's hand who is like a friend to me, it doesn't feel sweaty.

Maybe you live in a hot climate? Or you're anxious?

Never really enjoyed it that much. A subtle touch does more than holding all the time.

Besides, cuddling ftw!

It may just be me... but I grab someone's hand when I'm about to run and I want them to keep up. Apparently, this makes my female friends really giddy and my male friends really paranoid.

When I was little, whenever my family held hands (like me and my sister or whatnot) and we squeezed twice, it meant 'I love you'. As we got older we stopped doing it obviously, but we've taught it to my nieces and nephews. They do it all the time now and it's cute. A few days ago my niece woke me up by squeezing my hand twice. I squeezed back then the blankets kidnapped her. xD

To make hydrogen bonds obviously!

On a more serious note I like holding hands with people cause it makes me feel safe and I like the feeling of someone elses hand in mine. I tend to get panicky in crowds but holding someone's hand can make it less bad and sort of make sure my brain stays a bit more focused. Also I get really dizzy looking up at tall buildings and hand holding stops most of that as it reminds me i'm on the ground! And I have quite bad balance so if it's slippy or I stupidly agree to go iceskating I need to hold someone's hand for that.

I don't have to be *that* close to someone to hold hands with them but I have to have some kind of level of trust else it's just not going to happen.

• 3 years later...
I Shot the Serif

I've always had some issues with touching people (I do participate in social dance, though. Contras, English country, squares.) but I really enjoy holding hands with my boyfriend. I think he's the only person I'd want to hold hands with for a prolonged period of time. He gets to be special. :3

I've always had some issues with touching people (I do participate in social dance, though. Contras, English country, squares.) but I really enjoy holding hands with my boyfriend. I think he's the only person I'd want to hold hands with for a prolonged period of time. He gets to be special. :3

DUDE '09

WhAT tHe nECrO MAn

like I said on a topic about kissing:

I like waving...from a distance

I Shot the Serif

You know what, maybe I LIKE necroing. (Or maybe I just Googled something and saw an AVEN result and thought, "Oo, AVEN thread!")

This thread hasn't been active for a long time and is now being locked. If anyone would like to discuss this topic further, feel free to start a new thread about it.

Lady Girl, Moderator

Archived