Well, yah know, maybe they're asexual...

thylacine

So anyway, I was hanging with some friends and they were talking about Harry Potter & how Dumbledore is gay & all that... and then they go, "hey, none of the other instructors is married. I wonder what that means?" I felt like I should say, "Well, yah know, maybe they're asexual?" But I kept my mouth shut, because they most likely wouldn't know what that meant, or they would be like, "what the hell is she talking about... !"

So I shut up and didn't say anything.

Do we know for sure that all the instructors are unmarried? It was my impression that they just didn't mention whether or not any of them were married because it was completely irrelevant to the story. Some of them could be married, unless I'm forgetting something.

...then again, I guess there's not really any place for the spouses to live, unless they were all in long-distance relationships (or secret relationships with other professors). Some of them could possibly live in Hogsmeade and be visited on the weekends, maybe.

(also, Hagrid clearly had a crush on Madame Maxime, and Snape was madly in love with Lily, and Lupin married Tonks when he wasn't a professor anymore, so those ones are straight, most likely.)

(Not that it matters. :P)

Dumbedlore sure seems to get talked about alot in terms of his sexuality, even on this forum its come up alot. I've only casually watched the Harry Potter films but Dumbledore is certainly an aged man who has obviously seen many years. Therefore I don't see why he couldn't of had a relationship, or many, with women, maybe got married a few times, got divorced etc. Maybe his last wife died and he is widowed and not interested in starting over with anyone. Plus in their twilight years alot of people shy away from making new beginnings with others and are happy to retire. Or he could be asexual or homosexual or bi-sexual or whatever you want. It's open-ended and if you want him to be asexual he is, if not he isn't. Since its fiction, it gives you that allowance to impose your own hopes on the characters. So if a book doesnt actually implicitly state that two people get together an asexual romantic might say "oh they got together!" and an asexual a-romantic would maybe say "nah I bet they didnt"... heh.

Most of the characters don't seem to be talked about in terms of their past, the story arc is all called Harry Potter so its mostly Harry's past that everything is concerned about, and others pasts are only enlightened if they help Harry in some way. I doubt Dumbledore's love life is of help to Harry unless he had gone to ask him about how to get a hot date for that party. But why would he go to him? He ain't diggin the times and 'cool' maaan (joking joking). So anyway my point is I don't think its so strange his and others love lives arent talked about much.

*shuffles over to Hallu* Yeah not that it matters *ahem*

Do you really think people don't know what asexual means when applied to a human? It's something so comfortably in my vocabulary and has been for so long...

I met a teenager once who tried arguing that it only applied to things like yeast and in a different way, but there's so much information and entertainment out there now that beats its way off the straight path--I find it extremely unlikely that none of your friends would have known what you were talking about--and since asexuality is obviously important to you, bringing it up could lead the way to some enlightening conversations, whether you had to explain it or not.

People talk about Dumbledore's sexuality because the author's declaration that he's gay was such a non sequitur. It really doesn't talk about many relationships in the books--and for it to be the oldest character to whom sex was probably least relevant by that time!

The one tell was in the last book when he spent the summer hanging out with a smart, cute boy of his own age who dropped by the village for vacation.

Heh, I think "maybe they're asexual" is a good joke BECAUSE it's not often talked about--but it would be just a weird situation for almost the entire staff of a school to have one orientation!

(@Hallucigenia--Just because Snape had a mad crush on Lily doesn't mean he wasn't asexual. A normal sex drive would probably DISTRACT him from life-long loyalty and such a deep attachment. Just sayin'.)

Clearmurk, hey trust me... They do not know!

• 3 weeks later...
Inconceivable!

I totally think Snape was asexual.

Maybe it's just me thinking this, but imagining him with Lily, it just really seemed like that... blah.

I'd find that believable about Snape. However, technically, romantic asexuals can get married too, so once you get into that level of detail, the whole conversation is invalidated, and... yeah.

Again... not that it matters. :P

Archived