Interesting podcast

Raven17

Hey,

Here's a link to a CBC interview with a sexologist who has some *very* interesting views on sex and sexuality. She talks a lot about social pressures and the need to be *normal*, as well as the effects of culture and commercial interests on Western society's understanding of sex, and how that has evolved over the years. She has some very interesting thoughts and perspectives, and those of you who are struggling with your identity or are simply interested in the social aspects of sex might enjoy it.* There is some graphic language.*

I hope the link works:

http://podcast.cbc.ca/mp3/ideas_20071029_3615.mp3

2014 Mod Edit: The above link doesn't work anymore, but thanks to the help of awesome AVENites I've retrieved the podcast and uploaded it here (first video of three).

WOW!!!

I'm only a few minutes in, but I'm loving it. As an asexual person and as an anthropology student. This is great!.

Thank you thank you for posting this :D

I like this. One of the cool things is that she's so interested in emphasizing individual differences and exploring your own preferences. It's cool.

On a related note, I was sitting in a lecture about prostate cancer the other day, and the professor (a surgeon) mentioned that there's lots of variability about men's interest in having surgery, since there's like a 50/50 change of subsequently losing interest in sexual things--either through inability or lack of interest, I forget which.

So when he said that, the class laughed nervously--somewhat in disbelief--but he said (I'm paraphrasing here) "No, seriously. You can have a 50 year old guy and tell him he might never want to/be able to have sex ever again and he'll be like, 'I don't care. I can go the rest of my life without having it, wouldn't bother me a bit,' and then you can have a 75 year old and if he doesn't have sex at least twice a week. . . life's not worth living." It was great to hear that, that there are medical professionals that acknowledge how much variability there is in sexual interest and whatnot.

This is something I've always wanted to make. But I guess somebody beat me to it and I just don't have the resources to make one. We need more of these kind of videos to help others.

This is something I've always wanted to make. But I guess somebody beat me to it and I just don't have the resources to make one. We need more of these kind of videos to help others.

Totally! I find it so validating to hear things like this. It's one thing to hear that other people feel like you, it's another to hear it from an expert with social and historical perspective (not that the views of avenites aren't valuable - I just love hearing it from non-asexuals who spend their workings days thinking about these things.)

Despite the sexual revolution (which has had its advantages) there is a huge amount of pressure to act a certain way sexually (what she said about "normality" really struck a nerve with me), and I think it's currently getting better rather than worse.

Archived