The Big Bang Theory--TV Show

Niemand

Asexual or not, I am rather similar to Sheldon. I've yet to decide if this is wonderful or horrifying.

Guy at work came up to me the other day and said 'I can identify a lot with Sheldon.... is that bad?'

... probably, but that's okay.

And yes he IS a lot like Sheldon.

I actually don't mind The Big Bang Theory. It's my kind of show.... Socially inept geeks trying to win girls over.... That's made of WIN to me as it would probably sum up a lot of my life I was trying to get girls :P

I caught and episode the other week with *mental blank* (The guy that's hot for Penny) having a one night stand with a fellow musican. With Sheldon in the apartment not knowing how to react of what to do... and then ringing him up on his phone to say congrats..... To me that episode had quite a few...... *You know you're asexual when* monents in it... which I loved..

With that said.... I hate Sheldon's character. He comes across to me as being cocky and rude.... those are the kind of attributes I hate in people.

The big bang theory is one of the best TV shows I've ever seen, we have it in Poland from monday to friday everyday.

Asexual or not, I am rather similar to Sheldon. I've yet to decide if this is wonderful or horrifying.

Guy at work came up to me the other day and said 'I can identify a lot with Sheldon.... is that bad?'

... probably, but that's okay.

And yes he IS a lot like Sheldon.

Sheldon is my favourite character there. I just like guys who are like him.

My mom watches it but I do hear and see it while I'm doing other things and I believe your right.

that_american_kid

Just finished an episode... like the second time I've seen it. I love it! Sheldon was agonizing about buying Penny a christmas present...

"Awww, Leonard... Sheldon's hugging me!" Total asexual moment.

I've watched a few episodes and I like. But no I don't think he's asexual, just a geek.

Can't he be both?

Over the run of the show so far, he has never formed any kind of sexual relationship. Even when chances presented themselves, he was completely oblivious to them. He's stated a number of times that he finds romantic connections to be utterly baffling to him. His friends have never known him to be in any kind of relationship, or show any interest in one.

What more does the guy need to do to be called asexual?

The thing is.. I'm not sure that the writers know about asexuality as a real orientation. I know that the term's been thrown around in interviews in regards to Sheldon's character.. but even then they may have used it with the 'scientific' meaning (as it was joked in one episode that Sheldon reproduces by mitosis).

If the creators don't know about the orientation, they're free to 'fix' Sheldon's lack of sexuality later on and pair him up with someone for the ratings. (Although, I do personally love the Sheldon/Penny dynamic - I think the actors have much better chemistry than the more obvious Leonard/Penny - and wouldn't be against them getting together, though preferably with Sheldon remaining asexual..)

I love the series, btw. It's filled the need for simple, soap-y American sitcoms that Friends left in my life.

that_american_kid

Just kind of spouting off, really- I'm watching an episode which appears to be filled with sexual humor, but in such a way that it's poking fun at nerdy sex jokes. (Good grief, I'm going to end up *talking* like Sheldon!)

My favorite- after a string quartet rehearsal.

Leonard:"I thought you weren't interested in me?"

Leslie:"That was before I saw you handling that beautiful piece of wood between your legs."

Leonard: "You mean my cello?"

Leslie: "No, I mean the obvious crude double entendre. I'm seducing you."

Leonard:(wonderingly) "No kidding?"

I don't usually like sexual references, but I can laugh at them when they're like *that*.

metalgirl2045
The thing is.. I'm not sure that the writers know about asexuality as a real orientation. I know that the term's been thrown around in interviews in regards to Sheldon's character.. but even then they may have used it with the 'scientific' meaning (as it was joked in one episode that Sheldon reproduces by mitosis).

Why would they have to know it exists? They're probably basing Sheldon on people they've come across who are like that. Asexuality only exists because asexuals do.

Why would they have to know it exists? They're probably basing Sheldon on people they've come across who are like that. Asexuality only exists because asexuals do.

[okay, load of rubbish warning here, I just wrote this and reread it and was like.. what did I just write :\ ]

Sure, that's true.. but with asexuality there's a big difference between it being perceived as an actual "life-long" orientation and as a fixable "lack of awareness" when it comes to attraction, etc. The latter is what, I imagine, someone unfamiliar with AVEN!Asexuality would view Sheldon's character as - and it mixes easily with the "science/math/etc is more important in my life than sex, mostly because as a geek I am automatically unattractive and weird and therefore there's no point pursuing women anyway"-geek stereotype.

For most sexual people, ie mainstream US tv viewers, it's fairly difficult to imagine that someone could never desire to have sex with anyone, and therefore many of these people don't believe in asexuality. (All the "oh, you just need to meet the right person!" reactions?)

Sheldon's character is generally unfamiliar with social/relationship norms, so they could easily develop his character so that he eventually 'learns the importance' of these things and becomes sexual. The entire ideology of the series is that Sheldon, at the start of the series at least, is wrong. He's the personification of everything "socially unacceptable". Okay, he's a genius.. but he's childish, selfish, uncaring, egotistical, unemotional, doesn't drink, isn't in(or seeking) a romantic/sexual relationship, isn't very self-dependent, is clueless when it comes to social etiquette. The list is probably longer but I wont bother with any more. Despite making a character like this, the creators are clearly not using him to attempt to alter the current ideology in the US to make these traits acceptable. Everything on that list is used for comedy, and usually at Sheldon's expense. And as the series progresses, they are clearly using some of the Sheldon-centric episodes to fix him of these "problems" - eventually maybe his asexy-ness.

All that's fine, until the asexual label starts getting thrown around... and in my opinion, I don't think it would be helpful to have an asexual character who is cured of his asexuality.

I'm sorry I can't explain things much better D:

that_american_kid

I am hoping that one potential relationship plotline (Leonard and Penny) and one sex obsessed character (Wolowitz) will be enough and the writers won't try to pair off each and every character. I think Sheldon would be less funny if he were in a relationship. And what sort of mistakes could he make that Leonard hasn't already tried? (Don't tell the writers I said that!)

That said, I will be perfectly happy as long as Sheldon's character doesn't change and they don't pair him up with someone. They don't have to have Sheldon come out or anything, and in fact that kind of self awareness would be equally contrary to Sheldon's character.

Just so long as they don't put him in an actual relationship...

• 2 weeks later...

The only relationship I could see Sheldon in would be one online with someone as bright as he is...

And it would promptly dissolve when they disagreed over some nanoparticle theory or somesuch.

I'm just going to keep coming back to this thread because I love TBBT so much, lol. Can't you tell from my av? :rolleyes:

Though it goes against everything I believe about Sheldon's character, I can't help but love the idea of him & Penny as a couple. Maybe it's just because Jim Parsons and Kaley Cuoco have such good on-screen chemistry, I don't know. Okay, now I'm just repeating everything I said further up the thread |D

Also, I don't understand why people think that Sheldon needs to find someone with equal "intelligence" as himself. We already know that he has a giant ego when it comes to all things science (he believes himself to be smarter than Newton, etc!). The only person that seems able to best him in terms of scientific knowledge is Leslie, and that just makes Sheldon annoyed/frustrated.

If anything, the only relationship Sheldon is in in which the two parties are "equal" is his friendship with Penny, because their two brands of knowledge are entirely different.

Also Leonard/Penny is so predictable. Hello, Ross and Rachel! -snore-

I really enjoy the Big Bang Theory and have always identified with Sheldon due to being a relentless nerd and having several mildly compulsive behaviours (I am not, however, an ass). His asexuality is just another reason to like him! I hope they don't introduce a love interest for him, but it's TV so eventually they will

It's indeed a very cool series (which I discovered very recently) and yes, I believe Sheldon perfectly fits into the asexy category... Hope he stays so in the coming seasons of the tv series!

I'm so glad somebody posted about this! I remember the "amoeba" episode; it was pretty cute. Penny asked what Sheldon's "deal" was, and Leonard told her that his theory: "Sheldon has no deal."

I can't say I identify with Sheldon; if anything, I'm more like a geeky version of Penny, but that still made me gleeful.

that_american_kid
I'm so glad somebody posted about this! I remember the "amoeba" episode; it was pretty cute. Penny asked what Sheldon's "deal" was, and Leonard told her that his theory: "Sheldon has no deal."

I can't say I identify with Sheldon; if anything, I'm more like a geeky version of Penny, but that still made me gleeful.

That's my favorite part!

Sheldon is a flaming Ase.

smellincoffee
The only relationship I could see Sheldon in would be one online with someone as bright as he is...

And it would promptly dissolve when they disagreed over some nanoparticle theory or somesuch.

Didn't that happen? Or was it Leonard? A few weeks back -- before Christmas, I think -- there was an epsi...no, that was Leonard. He and Leslie were going to get back together but they disagreed about a model for approaching some question of physics.

I think Sheldon is definitely asexual. He's an ass, but one of my favorite characters.

Didn't that happen? Or was it Leonard? A few weeks back -- before Christmas, I think -- there was an epsi...no, that was Leonard. He and Leslie were going to get back together but they disagreed about a model for approaching some question of physics.

I think Sheldon is definitely asexual. He's an ass, but one of my favorite characters.

Yeah I think Sheldon can be an ass too, but he's definitely one of the best characters on the show. His comedic timing is great, because he's so straight laced he doesn't even know he's doing or saying something funny. And he really play well off the others, especially Penny... I love the little tiffs that they had. I think a lot would be lost on Sheldon's character if they made him hook up with someone. But if they were to maybe introduce a little more emotion to him that wouldn't be so bad... like when he hugged Penny after she got him that autographed napkin from Leonard Nimoy (with DNA).

A few friends who are geeks/nerds themselves introduced me to this. I was a bit iffy at first, but it's really not all that bad. I did have some vague inkling of Sheldon being Ace, but then thought that maybe it was just due to his obliviousness and social ineptness. Apparently not! I may have to start properly watching this show.

Sheldon seems very asexual, but also completely inept and robotic. Not really a fair portrayal of asexuality, in my opinion. I mean, it's a start, but ... eh.

I agree :/ I like the show well enough, but the fact that the geekiest, most socially inept character is also the one with no sex drive? It kind of rubs me the wrong way. Obviously, everyone seems to love him as a character, so I can't complain, but between him, Gerald (uptight, whingeing, prejudiced), and Dexter (a sociopathic serial killer), I don't think we're really painting a good picture of ourselves.

To be fair, he's not much worse than Gerald from the Shortland Street series... Also, I feel like any asexual characters we have now will be extreme and highly stereotyped. It'll take many more years before we get any that are "just ordinary people".

You have a point. Even some lesbian and gay characters on TV are still highly stereotyped, so it looks like we have a ways to go. I can't wait until asexual characters appear with some regularity and are all just "ordinary people." :)

that_american_kid

Rewatched some episodes today.

Leslie Winkle: "She just needs to get her some."

Sheldon: "Some what? Oh. Some 'sexual intercourse'."

Sounds like the 'Incredibly Ace Moments' thread. :D

i saw it for the first time last night on E4. it wasn't bad though i did feel sheldon is a bit clingy, not wanting to eat alone or to go to the cinema alone as such

carried in bags

never seen this show before - i shall have to give it a watch next time i see its on...

never seen this show before - i shall have to give it a watch next time i see its on...

channel 4, tuesday night, 11pm or so :)

Archived