The Big Bang Theory--TV Show

Niemand

After watching The Big Bang Theory (the tv show) a few times, I have come to wonder whether anybody else notices asexual tendencies in Sheldon (I think that's his name, the taller one of the two main characters). A few cases which I noticed:

In one episode he wants a friend to spend less time with his girlfriend; another friend says to him "You want him to pick Halo over sex?" and Sheldon doesn't seem to think this is such an unreasonable request. Also, in the most recent episode (unless it was a repeat...) He unintentionally steals his friend's date. A different friend starts a conversation which him which goes as follows:

"So? What happened?"

"Well we had dinner, talked about dentistry, her profession, and then I went back home."

"Are you going to see her again?"

"Why would I see her again? I already have a dentist."

(After Sheldon, the possible asexual leaves the room his friend says:)

"Somebody should tell his parents they're never going to get grandchildren."

So, what does everybody else think? I think he seems pretty asexual, but the creators of the show are trying to make him geeky and maybe this is just another way in which they're trying to do that.

I definitely think he's asexual. Most of the people on the Television Without Pity and official BBT message boards agree. I'm so excited to have a pretty clear asexual character on tv, even if confuses some people.

I don't know about that, but I love that they have the periodic table of elements on their shower curtain.

boa

• 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Gah, it's on 4od but it's not free. :(

It was also on last night at 11:30.

On a related note... I notice that ITV1 have started previewing another American show that's popular among AVENites. Yes, the infamous Dexter will soon be showing on mainstream British TV. An asexual serial killer; this I have to see.

• 9 months later...

Looks like Sheldon is asexual after all.

Big Bangers Talk Geek Romance, Asexuality & Hot Tees

2015 Mod Edit - For future reference:

VIDEO: Big Bangers Talk Geek Romance, Asexuality & Hot Tees
Nov 24, 2008 02:34 PM ET
by Matt Mitovich

CBS' The Big Bang Theory has been making a big bang indeed, notching some of its largest audiences ever. Has geek become chic? "I think it's really just word-of-mouth," Johnny Galecki (aka Leonard) says in this 2-on-1 video Q&A. "The show struck a chord." Adds "roommate" Jim Parsons (Sheldon), "People got to find it on their own."

Galecki goes on to discuss Leonard's new romance with guest-star Sara Rue's Stephanie. Parsons jumps in to say, "This is a very important relationship for [sheldon]", as well! But might it elicit a jealous reaction from Leonard's almost-girlfriend, Penny (Kaley Cuoco)? "I hope a subtle one!" says Galecki.

At the 2:20 mark, Parsons offers his reaction to the show's recent declaration of Sheldon's "asexuality," then Galecki shares his take on the possible casting of Leonard's mom. The boys wrap things up with Parsons naming his favorite geek-shirt of Shel's, and then both of them naming the cast member who is most like his/her character (4:00).

Big Bang airs Mondays at 8 pm/ET.

From that clip, it almost sounds like the actor, at least, thinks that there should be a future "cure his asexuality!" plotline. <_<

He said he thought it would be a big thing for Sheldon, which it would be. I don't know how well that story line would work after establishing Sheldon as so robotic after three seasons.

I accidently discovered this show one day while looking for something decent to watch, quite a chore indeed. Anyway, my mom and I were watching it and she turned at said to me, "Did they model Sheldon after you?" I took it as a compliment. :D

I love the Big Bang Theory... Huge science/tech/gamer geek over here. Basically, the only thing I never got into were comics... One day, one day!

Anyway, Sheldon, asexual? For sure. We all saw it coming.

I'd rather not have Sheldon as a 'face' of asexuality.

He's an ass.

He lacks social skills. Of course he's an ass.

To be fair, he's not much worse than Gerald from the Shortland Street series... Also, I feel like any asexual characters we have now will be extreme and highly stereotyped. It'll take many more years before we get any that are "just ordinary people".

Hm, I never particularly liked the original pilot I saw of this a couple of years ago so I never saw any more of it. The laugh track drove me nuts, as it tends to on most shows.

I'm kind of curious again now though given these new developments, and think I'll dive back in again. The fact I have nothing new left to watch isn't really helping matters either.

An asexual ass? I suspect I may be able to relate.

In my opinion, Sheldon's not really an 'ass', mostly because he doesn't realize he's being inept.

He lives in his own little world and the only person he listens to is his mother... :lol:

I wasn't really impressed with the show, although my mom liked it enough to send me the season 1 DVD unprovoked. Sheldon seems very asexual, but also completely inept and robotic. Not really a fair portrayal of asexuality, in my opinion. I mean, it's a start, but ... eh.

I never actually realised Sheldon was asexual under all the other stuff. I do feel a lot in common with him, with the social ineptness, although (according to other people) I'm not an ass.

But he does show asexuals not to be losers who can't get sex, since Leonard and Howard clearly want sex and can't get any.

Even though he's a total ass, he's a really cute character, with all his little geeky mannerisms and his inability to lie and his obsessive compulsive behaviours. The last two episodes basically solidify his asexuality in my mind. Now, if only he'd just come right out and say it... :P

Sheldon seems very asexual, but also completely inept and robotic. Not really a fair portrayal of asexuality, in my opinion. I mean, it's a start, but ... eh.

It is interesting that the makers of the TV series have chosen the character showing the most autistic characteristics to be asexual. Perhaps they'd been reading AVEN posts and noted the number of asperger's / autistic folk on the boards.

So I've watched three episodes of this now. I'm still not entirely convinced by it, but it doesn't seem utterly terrible.

Asexual or not, I am rather similar to Sheldon. I've yet to decide if this is wonderful or horrifying.

Archived