1. 1.

• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • Other - please explain my dears!
    • I think this kind of labelling system is inappropriate

This poll is closed to new votes

KBRD's post ( http://www.asexuality.org/discussion/viewtopic.php?t=27322 ) got me a-thinking... perhaps it is time for the old labels to be used again? They're a lot simpler than grey asexual and all it's different meanings, and I was always at home with them. Also, I agree with what he, and others have said, and perhaps those of us with sex-drives should have a little more visibility on a visibility website? ;)

Type A asexuals, who experience sex drive, but no attraction;

Type B asexuals, who experience romantic or other forms of attraction but do not have sex drives;

Type C asexuals, who experience sex drive and romantic or other forms of attraction, but do not see them as linked;

Type D asexuals, who experience neither.

Of course, you can always tell me I'm talking a load of rubbish - tell me why, and we can get some good ol' discussion going. :D I agree that the labels can be constricting, but I feel less constricted to say that I'm a C, through and through.

I'm somewhere between B and C, in that I experience romantic rather sexual attraction and technically do have a sex drive, but it's so low as to be practically non-existant; it tends to rear it's head once every few months if that.

Lord that was a hard sentence to punctuate.

*has been reading Eats Shoots and Leaves way too much lately*

I think I'm a C, but I haven't been in a romantic relationship to know if I have romantic feelings in the way that I invision them, so I could be A. I say Type C because I know that I do get sexually aroused (though it makes me feel wrong), and because I do fantasize about being in a relationship of some sort, but have never actually had those feelings with another person.

I voted B. I had a sex drive during puberty but the further I get through it the lower my drive is, there's nothing worth speaking of now.

My best fit is type C. I experience attraction, and I experience arousal, but I don't feel sexually attracted to anybody.

My sex drive is closely linked with ovulation.

Nalle Neversure

Between B and C, way closer to B, but still not quite it.

My low kind of drive decides to wake up once a year or so. Which is quite infrequent...

Pretty much B. I hate to go with pure anything, but B is basically it. I don't think I have much of a sex drive and whatever it is I do have is satisfied with just writing smutty slash stories, never felt the need to do anything "more" with myself. Not even entirely sure that counts as a sex drive. ^^; So...B.

I would probably be in between B and C. I think that I do have romantic attraction, although it is not especially strong. I don't have a sex drive in the sense of "spontaneously-occurring urges for orgasmic release", although I do have a fetish and experience arousal (which does not occur spontaneously and basically acts as its own "release").

My best fit is type C. I experience attraction, and I experience arousal, but I don't feel sexually attracted to anybody.

My sex drive is closely linked with ovulation.

yep.

(I am just agreeing with you on everything, it seems.)

CrazyCatLover

I put type B, but lately I've been starting to wonder if I actually am romatic or if I'm just in love with the idea of a relationship. Difficult to be sure.

Mr. Ten Below

I'd say D, though I have occasional leanings toward B when it comes to one certain individual. I'm not sure I want to bother counting that, though.

I like having this basic framework to reference. Because asexuality does have many different variations, it's easier to at least have something to work with when I'm trying to explain asexuality to people who don't know anything about it. This leaves people out, I know, but it still seems useful.

I put type B, but lately I've been starting to wonder if I actually am romatic or if I'm just in love with the idea of a relationship. Difficult to be sure.

That pretty much sums up my feelings exactly. So yeah, somewhere between B and D.

I'm not even sure what feelings I have if any. It's very confusing, but I would guess B or D.

I guess I'm 'D', that's what I chose...but it's not a label I'd want to use. It just sounds too negative to my mind. I guess I don't want to be reminded that I'm not attracted to people. :( And I'm attracted to cake, does that count?

:D I am happy that so many people are type "B" asexuals! Maybe there is hope after all for me!!!! :D

They're a lot simpler than grey asexual and all it's different meanings

While I agree with this statement, I am puzzled as to its relevance. As I understand it, most of the people who fit into types A, B, C, and D are not grey-asexual.

(Okay, okay, so I did at one time write an article claiming that everybody is grey - which I still say is an enlightening way of looking at it for a few minutes - but if we're going back to old-school categorization, then by definition, we need to ignore that sort of thing.)

To be grey-asexual (in the classic sense) means that you do experience sexual attraction, albeit not often enough, or not in conjunction with the right other factors, to make you comfortable identifying as sexual. None of your descriptions of types A, B, C, and D are grey-A categories (which is perfectly all right, since you're intentionally going back to basics). So I don't see how the fact that the grey area is confusing has any bearing on the use of non-grey categories.

It does make me wonder, though. Are there some basic categories that most grey-asexuals could be put into, that make more sense than the points that are currently in the Wiki?

*ponders*

Type B.

For awhile, I thought I was Type D, and then I thought I was semi-romantic, bordering between Type B and Type D, but I realize now that I actually do experience romantic attraction.

It took me one year to figure that one out!

Mostly type B. Perhaps a bit of shading towards type C -- I occasionally get sensations that seem like they might be arousal; they tend to go away if I ignore them for a few minutes, though.

They're a lot simpler than grey asexual and all it's different meanings

While I agree with this statement, I am puzzled as to its relevance. As I understand it, most of the people who fit into types A, B, C, and D are not grey-asexual.

(Okay, okay, so I did at one time write an article claiming that everybody is grey - which I still say is an enlightening way of looking at it for a few minutes - but if we're going back to old-school categorization, then by definition, we need to ignore that sort of thing.)

To be grey-asexual (in the classic sense) means that you do experience sexual attraction, albeit not often enough, or not in conjunction with the right other factors, to make you comfortable identifying as sexual. None of your descriptions of types A, B, C, and D are grey-A categories (which is perfectly all right, since you're intentionally going back to basics). So I don't see how the fact that the grey area is confusing has any bearing on the use of non-grey categories.

It does make me wonder, though. Are there some basic categories that most grey-asexuals could be put into, that make more sense than the points that are currently in the Wiki?

*ponders*

Oopsie... I took a break way back in 2006, and when I came back this year it was either new or I'd forgotten it. In discussion it seemed to be a way of describing asexuals who may be fine with having sex (I think I'm included in this, though I haven't got there yet), and even regular type Cs.

:D See! The term is confusing! :D

reverse_thrust

I go through phases of type A and type D, much more often type D than type A.

A mix between A and C. I do have a sex drive because I do masturbate. I'm attracted to personalities and physical features (but not sexual organs!) however usually I find this attraction only occurs with fictional characters or celebrities, rarely to real people and I don't think I've ever really had romantic attraction to real people. I guess I'm attracted to archetypes and nothing more. :roll:

Archived