Yoga and/or meditation

sphere

This is just a monolog to start but I though I'd relay some of the heath benefits I have expeienced with Yoga and to a lesser degree with meditation.

I'm 62 YO and a couple three years ago I came to the rude discovery that I couldnt ski any more without getting hurt every time. "What the heck happened to me", I kept saying to myself. Is this what middle age is? It was enough to make one think thoughts of doom ( like rapid decline without any recourse).

I started swimming every day. That helped quite a bit. Then I added on long walks. A little bit more improvement but even though I was feeling more energized I still couldnt ski without coming back all cramped up and nearly imobile.Then I added Yoga (Bikrams Yoga College of India) and now I seem to be reversing (or at least reaching the flexability that I shoud have) the aging process.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that one does not realize that in middle age the muscles decline from not being used. I can touch my toes while keeping my legs straight now.That is quite a revelation after not being able to do it for almost my entire life. In fact I can't even remembering being able to do it before. I keep improving every week. Maybe I'll turn into a human pretzel some day ( I hope). I'm still afraid to go to the ski slopes but I'm looking forward to it one of these days when I'm ready.

The benefits from meditation (Zen Budhist) are less readily aparent. It takes a long time. Forcing ones self to sit still and quiet takes determination. It builds strength in some sort of way. I cant figure out what its doing to me yet but I I'm able to sit still without fidgeting for a longer time. A few weeks ago I flew to Washington DC nonstop R/T and I just sat there patiently without getting cramped up. A slight improvement but a few years ago I couldnt do that.

Old age is getting a little less scary -----at least it's more interesting.

Dennis

I'm trying to learn how to meditate and i want to try yoga but i don't know where to start.

Hi,

I have only been to one place. Bikrams yoga college of India.

It is kind of daunting for a beginner but if you can stick with it, it pays off well. An hour and a half session costs $15. There are monthy rates.It is recomended to get the accompaning book that explains everything in more detail.

I stretch every day at home and in the city swimming pool. I can't affort to go to class too often. The class serves well to show you what to do and sets goals to meet.

Good luck if you follow through with it

Dennis

I'm trying to learn how to meditate and i want to try yoga but i don't know where to start.

Best to start at the very beginning. A simple form of meditation (and therefore in my humble view the best way to start) is candle meditation. Easily set up, needs no guru to guide you and gives you practice in all the meditational skills you will need for more advanced exercises.

Find a quiet room where you can be relaxed. Some prefer to lie down but most seem to find sitting in a comfortable chair just as good if not better. If you can have a hot bath first all to the good as it helps the body relax and the mind cannot relax if the body is tense. Make sure the room is as dark as you can make it but have a single candle to light it.

When you are as physically comfortable and relaxed as you can reasonably get (dep breathing helps) then simply concentrate on the candle flame. Look at its shape and movement. This is to get the mind engaged on a specific "thing" so that other thoughts that would otherwise clutter up the mind do not become the focus. After a few minutes of doing this you should be able to "observe" those other thoughts much as one can "observe" trafic passing on a nearby road without concentrating on any particular vehicle. And that is all you need to do for, say, 30 minutes or so.

When you have practiced this a few times you may well find that solutions to problems you may be having start occurring to you unbidden. (Including such things as "how do I start doing Yoga?"). Later, when you are quite practiced you can deliberately "introduce" a problem to meditate on but even then the art is not to focus on it but let the sub-conscious mind do the work. However most never need to deliberately do this. Your sub-conscious is quite capable of doing it all by itself when the time is right. Your meditation simply allows it to work at its best.

roddy

I kind of agree with Roddy.As a beginner it is probably

best to keep things simple. Im not sure if it is a form of concentration or

not concentrating. To me it is a development of purpose to be quiet.

Yup! Meditation has wonderous benefits on the mind and on the body as well. The less stress you have, the more healthier you are.

LOL.....yeah it really does work....we just had a test on it today so I should know!

• 2 weeks later...

Yoga rocks, I started practicing hatha yoga in my 20's. I really got invested in it 8 years ago and now I can say it is a part of me. I also love Pilates, which, to me, seems similar to yoga.

Meditation is also something that has made a positive difference in my life. Prior to practicing yoga and meditation regularly, my resting heart rate was 80+ beats/min, now it is 58-60 beats/min....yea I'm melllooooow! I think the relaxation I reap from it helps me deal with life (and people) better.

• 3 weeks later...
Guest member344

this is a good thread.i also would like to start to learn yoga.i go to the gym everyday but need another medium in my life.i,m going to india in 2008 to go to some meditation retreats to learn the art of yoga.you need this stuff as you get older...!

• 2 weeks later...

I must try the meditation technique. Taoism has helped calm me down and the job I have at the moment is very physical. As I commented the other night to one of the girls (while lifting a 6x2litre pack onto the third shelf - approx 130cm) 'Who needs a gym with this job?'

I have always been able to place the palms of my hands flat on the floor without bending my knees (though I put that down to having short legs) and can pick up a pencil with my toes, so nothing has changed there - just one of those things like being able to roll and curl my tongue.

Tan

• 2 months later...

I used to watch "Yoga for Health" w/ Richard Hittleman on PBS in the early 70's. I started doing it and stayed with it for a number of years. Then stopped, but the benefits stayed with me for most of my life. I recently bought a few DVD’s and I’m getting back on the yoga wagon so to speak. During the last couple of years I’ve really noticed a major decline in my stamina and health. I need all the help I can get to keep up with my little grandchild. (He does it with me :) ).

As far as meditation goes, I think I owe my life to it and would recommend it to everyone!

Archived