T-time

AVENguy

Ok, so after deliberations in the back room of V&E I've come up with a t-shirt prototype. The words etc are all subject to change, I just thought I'd throw something out there for the sake of keeping things moving. This design seems to be more or less in keeping with the discussions we've been having. Let me know what people think of this design, we'll taylor it as needed and then go to presses.

Front

blackfront.gif

Back

blackback.gif

The smudgy text is just "Asexual Visibilty and Education Network" and our URL. That's about the scale that seemed best for the text, it would be legible on the shirt.

VivreEstEsperer

Couldn't we have it any other color than black? Black is so overwhelming and depressing. It just overpowers you, especially when there's so little else on the T-shirt. Or at the very least have the triangle design be a different color? I do like the triangle design though.

Could we perhaps have a definition (in smaller text underneath, perhaps, saying Asexual: does not experience sexual attraction) underneath?

Thanks for making the prototype...

Kate

VivreEstEsperer

I just posted this in the Words place, but then I thought it might be better here, and anyway I have an idea about how the t-shirt might look so I'll post it here too.

Just had an idea - what if we did the asexual symbol with in small print underneath it, "Neither, Nor"? (those words being inkburrow's suggestion of course). It wouldn't be "flaunting" it or anything because other people wouldn't necessarily know what it meant, but we would. I would love that.

The "It's good to be asexual" just sounds kind of presumptious (maybe that's not the right word, I can't seem to find the right word) and uppity to me. I mean, how would we like it if someone had a shirt that said "It's good to be heterosexual," we might take that as an offense. But if they just had a shirt saying love is beautiful or something like that we wouldnt mind -so just the same we can put a quote about how "not loving" is beautiful, and that would to me make much more sense. Follow me at all?

So maybe then we could have a shirt with the asexuality symbol and "Neither, Nor" printed beneath; then on the back we could have, in fairly large letters, "Asexuality Visibility and Education Network" and the web address printed. This way, we explain what the shirt is about - asexuality - and have something we can relate to on it (neither, nor, it's short but sweet) and we have more information on the back.

Just my thoughts.

Kate

VivreEstEsperer

Ha, I feel like I'm hogging the thread at this point, three posts in a row!

But I was just talking to AVENguy on AIM and after a lot of thought (what? thought? I didn't know we were capable of that!) and ruling out of anything that sounded possibly anti-sexual, we came up with

Nobody Knows I'm Asexual!

which has been used of course in the gay and lesbian movement but sounds in even more meaningful in our case, I think. Because really, people KNOW about gays and lesbians. they might not know who exactly is one, but they know they exist. No one knows at all about asexuals though - so we're really telling them who we are and inviting further discussion, it seems to me.

Whereas just saying something like "I'm asexual" or "i'm glad that im asexual" might elicit a "who cares?" response, it seems to me that "Nobody Knows I'm Asexual" would elicit more of a "You are? You're asexual? What's that?" It's kind of secretive, preys on people's curiousities and just dares them to learn more about it.

What does everybody think of having that on the back of the T-shirt?

Kate

I'd say we need something more shocking. This doesn't have to be something bad.

Sex is the dominating factor in almost everyone's life. Sex this, sex that, sex in my God damned e-mail InBox :mad: . . . The list goes on.

Say that someone was walking around with "SEX SUCKS!" written on their shirt in big letters. Everyone's head would turn towards him or her. The message doesn't have to be sex sucks, but something that disses sex.

People diss sports teams, people diss certain music types, or stereo brands, TV networks, fashion styles, etc. But in my entire life, I have never seen anyone diss sex. NEVER! Until now :)

It would be a real attention magnet, and www.asexuality.org would be written right next to it.

VivreEstEsperer

Well in that case I would go for

"Sex is God's joke on humans,"

which I love, but I'm not sure how antisexual we want to be... (altho I think itd be somewhat fun)...

Kate

i like the shirt. the statement really comes across.

the hell does the color of the shirt matter?!

Orph: Really? Idunno, I think we might have to be more beatles-sized to play that card..

Legolas: I've thought alot about bringing queer-style pride into the equation, so much so that going into a full discussion right here would probably veer us off topic. I've started another thread.

Gorax: Despite my vehement anti-antisexualness I'm pretty fond of the "sex sucks, fuck sex" line of thinking. It's so over the top that it won't get taken literally, but it attracts attention and (in my opinion) it's damn funny.

In the interests of reaching some conclusion I'm going to go ahead and call a vote (since the poll feature doesn't appear to be working, it'll have to be manual.) Please choose only one:

A. Nobody knows I'm asexual

B. Sex sucks (and/or) fuck sex

C. It's good to be asexual/I love being asexual

D. Neither, Nor*

E. Proud asexual**

F. Plain ol' triangle, definition etc.

*So after raising a huge stink I now realize that "neither" can be used with a list of any length, and therefore does NOT imply a gender binary. Yeah!(blush)

**Please read my argument against this and the insuing discussion before voting. Go responsible democracy!!

it was a tie between b & c for me, but i think i'll have to go w/ b, cause i've been saying the "sex sucks/fuck sex" thing for years now.

i once told a guy to go fuck himself once, & he had the balls to tell me, "you need to have had sex in order to say that to somebody." i thought it bore repeating, so i just said it again & walked away.

sorry. thought i'd add that...

Hmmm...I'l go with c because ppl might stop and ask me what it means and then I can educate them. Yeah, that sounds good to me.

I usually don't wear t shirts, but I wish I had thought of this earlier.....

In big letters: DON'T FUCK WITH ME!

OK, I was not done with that when it posted for unknown reasons.

In big letters: DON'T FUCK WITH ME!

In small letters under it: I'm asexual.

Maybe I will just have that one made for myself.

VivreEstEsperer

So Neither Nor is back in the running after all! Ah, but now I'm so hooked on Nobody Knows I'm an Asexual.

So I vote for A. Yay! :)

Hey maybe we shoulda had people make speeches about the different options before, lol.

Bard-I like your idea and think its very funny but in truth probably wouldnt be brave enough to wear anything with the F word on it.

Kate

FREE BIRD!!!

Jesus, i've been asleep longer than i thought...

i'd wear the f-word shirt. i'm long overdue for one. so far i've been trying to scare people off w/ my orange "halloween" shirt, but they just laugh at me. *sniff* i have to resort to bitch slapping them &/or giving them a bitchy reply. dang.

Archived