Asexual community

Nameless

I was just wondering what kind of things happen to be more common amoung asexual people than other social groups, I've never really met other asexuals before.

Like for instance are there more men or women? What age group are most? Do a large portion seem to be drawn to any particular scene (like how loads of bisexuals seem to be goth or emo)? What religion are the majority? Would most consider themselves straight but not interested in sex or would more be gay or bi not interested in sex or be genderqueer/pansexual etc? What places seem to have the highest asexual population? What races seem to be most offen asexual? Are there personality disorders that are more common for asexuals than in other orientations? Is there a dress style that seems to be popular especially among asexuals, or a type of music etc?

Stupid questions and I'm rambling but I'm just very curious about everything as I used to think I was practically my own species before finding out about 'Asexual' as a proper label that other people fit into also.

You might dig through the Census forum, though that shows what it true of AVEN rather than asexuals as a whole.

Just a quick rundown, Women do outnumber men on AVEN, age is rather scattered, as is religion, romantic orientation, and gender identity. There is a disproportionate number of introverts, and asperger's is more common here than in the "normal" population. If you are curious as to anything else, feel free to start a poll there, but search first please.

Seriously scientific answers: Not available - There is one researcher evealuating a huge British census which unfortunately wasn't made for that purpose.

Very rough guidance: Census forum but keep in mind that there is hardly any question that at least 300 people answered. And AVEN being internet based provides an addditional twist to that stats..

Bottom line: Live healthy! - It might take another century to answer your questions.

The only solid figure we have is that 1% of the population is asexual.

My own observations:

High number of introverts

High number of non-believers (expected of most online communities)

High number of Aspies (Internal polls reflect this)

High number of those suffering from depression

High number of people without partners (obviously)

High number of a-social or anti-social people (aka, people who dislike mainstream society)

I'll have to disagree with the depression thing. I think there are a vast amount of sexual people experiencing depression too. My sister is sexual and she was treated for depression. My other sister is extremely sexual and she drinks instead of taking Prozac. My father was a perv (had a statutory in his past) and he drank -- a lot more than my sister -- and he was very depressed. My grandmother went through five husbands -- and she was said to suffer greatly from depression... My mother & I are asexual, and the happiest ones in the family...

Now... in the workplace... I am the only asexual person in a law firm -- and the most well adjusted... another paralegal (very high sex drive on this one!) suffers from bi-polar depression, the legal secretary is just plain depressed all the freakin time, one attorney (average sex drive) has ADHD, a third paralegal I don't know... she's an older lady (no sex drive that I can see) and seems like she's in the beginning stages of alzheimer's... two other attorneys (average sex drive) seem well-adjusted, and the fourth (not sure if he has a sex drive, but he has kids) seems slightly depressed and disinterested in litigation... I am not picking on people, just telling it like it is. (I am judging sex drives in people by their general level of bragging or rude talk!)

I notice in general life outside of AVEN -- A LOT of people are depressed these days, sexual, asexual, bi-sexual, polyamorous, black, white, asian, young, old, male, female... Times are tough, and I don't think sex drive has much to do with people's general happiness...

And there's a definite possibility that that number is distorted. Asexuals may constitute more or less than 1% of the total population. There just isn't enough research. I'm really hoping there's going to be more of it in the next few years.

And there's a definite possibility that that number is distorted. Asexuals may constitute more or less than 1% of the total population. There just isn't enough research. I'm really hoping there's going to be more of it in the next few years.

Exactly. I suspect that the actual percantage may be somewhat higher, because romantic/aesthetic/physical attraction are often conflated with sexual attraction, and some people who responded to that survey probably said that they had experienced sexual attraction when they really experienced something else.

My own observations:

High number of introverts

High number of non-believers (expected of most online communities)

High number of Aspies (Internal polls reflect this)

High number of those suffering from depression

High number of people without partners (obviously)

High number of a-social or anti-social people (aka, people who dislike mainstream society)

Those statistics are only true of AVEN, and not of asexuals as a whole. Especially 1, 3, and 6 in your list are exactly the type of people who would be most likely to join a forum like this.

just me, but there seems to be a lot of canadians, but as a resident of the states, they teach us in school that our northern neighbor is a vast, depopulated wasteland, so it might just be my miseducation.

just me, but there seems to be a lot of canadians, but as a resident of the states, they teach us in school that our northern neighbor is a vast, depopulated wasteland, so it might just be my miseducation.

Canada is about one-ninth the size of the United States in population. Which makes it not exactly a depopulated wasteland, but not exactly China either.

There do seem to be a lot of people who are asocial/introverted/have Asperger's/have therapists. This probably goes part way to explain why some people think asexuality is a "disorder" or an illness. To them I say: Keep your nose out of it.

Canada is about one-ninth the size of the United States in population. Which makes it not exactly a depopulated wasteland, but not exactly China either.

LOL

Archived