Warick University Pride page includes asexuals

asexual1976

Warwick Pride - the University of Warwick Students' Union's society for LGBTUA (lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, undefined and asexual) students have included asexuals in their fold and have actually posted a coming out story on their website at http://warwickpride.org/index.php?page=con...mingout.story-a.

2014 Mod Edit: The website has likely been restructured and changed form. However, the front page still includes asexuals:

The University of Warwick Students’ Union society for Lesbian, Gay, Bi, Trans*, Undefined and Asexual students and their friends.

We provide a safe, friendly social atmosphere in which to meet other students at Warwick; as well as providing information, advice and support for those coming to terms with their sexuality, including a befriending service for those not yet ready to meet a large group. We maintain a library of books and DVDs for our members. We also campaign on various issues on behalf of the LGBTUA+ community both within the university and in the wider community. We raise awareness of the issues facing LGBTUA+ people and campaign for changes where needed. Finally, we provide a great deal of information on sexual health and safer sex, and provide free safer sex materials (including condoms and lubricant suitable for anal sex, flavoured condoms suitable for oral sex, dental dams and latex and non-latex gloves). If you haven’t yet joined the Society, you can do so online at the Students Union Website. It costs just £3 to join for one year. If you are a Warwick student we recommend you choose Standard Membership as this will enable you to vote in society elections (or stand as a candidate). If you are a graduate or a member of the public then you must choose Associate Membership. You can get updates from Warwick Pride on Facebook, Twitterand Tumblr. Be sure to check out our Google Calendar during term time – we post all our events there! You can also get to know the Exec team, who are here as a point of contact!

And the coming out section lists Yolly's story, who identifies as demisexual:

Yolly

When I started university I’d been out at home for over a year and a half and certainly wasn’t planning on going back in the closet; but coming out to a large number of strangers who I was going to be living with for the next year was (understandably) a daunting prospect. I really didn’t want not being out hanging over me while I was trying to make new friends, so I decided to come out to everyone as soon as possible. I was lucky to have a great excuse to do so in the form of a girlfriend; so I spent the first weekend (and to some extent, the next week) talking about her to anyone who would listen. Apart from the one guy who lived opposite me who didn’t seem to catch on; this worked really well and meant that I could spend my energies on things other than worrying about coming out, which was a big relief for me. As well as coming out to my hallmates I also came out to my Resident Tutor early into term when I emailed him to let him know that my girlfriend was coming to stay, which was absolutely fine and I never had any problems about. It’s worth noting that whilst I came out as gay to everyone straight away, I also identify as demisexual and didn’t come out about that until midway through term 2. It wasn’t something I felt was particularly important for people to know, so I didn’t tell them.

Wow. Nice to know that Warwick is a leader as far as Aven goes too. Shame it's a few years too late for me. I might have known myself better sooner if I'd heard of asexuality back when I was there.

Archived