Untouched: A Sexual Encounter

Eta Carinae

Apparently there's a London play by this name that deals with asexuality! The main character is asexual, and from the sound of it, it might actually be a positive depiction. I'm not in London and I can't go see it, but it's playing from November 13 to December 2, and you can read more about it at:

http://www.indielondon.co.uk/Theatre-Revie...gs-head-theatre

2014 Mod Edit - For future reference:

Untouched - King's Head Theatre

tWQHfdN.jpg

A NEW play by Nick Huntington, Untouched: A Sexual Encounter, receives its world premiere at Islington’s King’ s Head Theatre – from November 13 to December 2, 2007.

Described as gritty, poignant and funny, Untouched explores the themes of asexuality and the nature of love. It also challenges society’s perception of and obsession with sex and sexuality. It’s Huntington’s debut stage play.

Ella Miller, a renowned photographer, is asexual. Her work reflects how she views the world but people see what they want to see. Her latest subject, plucked from obscurity, is Caleb Shaw – a sexy, cocky, aspiring model. Who could resist him? But Caleb has a secret…..one he will protect at all costs.

Then there’s Miriam, Ella’s mother who, grieving from the loss of her son, refuses to accept her daughter’s asexuality – Ella is sick and can be cured. However, the ‘cure’ is to have far-reaching and devastating consequences for all three characters.

Research suggests that 1% of the population is asexual and Act Naturally who are presenting Untouched, believe this is the first time the subject has been broached on the London stage.

Mary Greco directs a cast that includes Tracey-Anne Liles, Ed Fromson and Miriam Lucia.

Tickets: £5

For more information call the box office on 020 7226 1916 or visit the website.

Bugger. This would normally be pretty easy to go and see, but I'm in a different country, technically, at the moment.

Bugger.

Lady Heartilly

That's pretty awesome . . . :D They just need to bring it to American now. :P

The play has a website!

http://www.untouchedtheplay.com/

There's not much there, but there is a note from the play's writer:

I must say I’m fascinated with the theme of asexuality; a theme which I believe has not been explored to a great degree and is at present misunderstood by society in general. An asexual is someone who does not experience sexual attraction. Unlike celibacy, which people choose, asexuality is part of that person. The sceptics ponder its existence and the therapists ponder its cure.

Is one really born without these sexual feelings, or are these feelings damaged by their existing environment, e.g. psychological trauma or hormonal imbalance. And is asexuality really permanent, or can it be a temporary state? Certainly for me, once I had cleared these answers in my mind, I realised I was never a true asexual. But just how could someone who felt no sexual desire; how could someone who was repulsed by the thought of sexual intercourse function in a sexually obsessed world?

Ella is an asexual in that she has never consummated the few loving relationships she has had by engaging in sexual activity. Caleb on the other hand has never felt anything in the way of love and frequently finds himself in loveless and lustful activities. The set up is in no way epic, moreover the simplicity of the conflict when Ella and Caleb meet is what makes the play so fascinating. And the two simple questions I ask in Untouched are these; one for Ella, ‘Can you love without sex?’ and the other for Caleb, ‘Can you live without sex?’. Can two polar opposites ever meet, could the most beautiful and sensual relationship be born from these two extremes? One can only hope.

We have some history with this!

When the play was in the workshop stage I was contacted by one of the actors (I was the contact for a London meetup around then) asking if she could turn up, talk to us, and get views on the script. The company had been reading AVEN as background already. I felt it might be intrusive on a regular meetup. She was very keen to continue the contact and sent me a summary of the play as it was at that stage, which I circulated to anyone interested via the Announcements board and PMs, to get comments.

To be honest, most people's comments on the summary, and what I sent back, were quite negative (I think I can send anyone what we said if they still want to read it), but I don't want to dampen anyone's enthusiasm about the fact this is happening.

I want to see this play so badly! But, unfortunately, I'm on the wrong side of the pond.... :( Now, if only I knew where I left my magic carpet....

What were the problems people had with the script? Was the depiction of asexuality bad, or was it something else?

Sorry for the delay spotting this, I haven't been in World Watch very often! I'll PM you (if I can, the bugs wouldn't let me PM someone earlier today).

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I went to see the play yesterday afternoon (17/11/07- it's just after midnight uk time )and it was ok. It is a short play, in fact too short. I won't go into any more detail, but It's worth taking a peek, plus the venue is nice and cosy!

it's reviewed in the independent today 21/11/07
http://arts.independent.co.uk/theatre/revi...icle3180096.ece

2014 Mod Edit - For future reference:

Untouched, King's Head, London
[voted as 2 stars out of 5]

BY PAUL TAYLOR Wednesday 21 November 2007

As a theme for drama, asexuality – that's to say, lack of interest in, or desire for, sex – surely languishes near the bottom of the heap of sex-related topics. This is probably because it's an issue that's defined by negatives. Asexuality relates to frigidity as indifference does to apathy. The frigid and the apathetic may well mind about their condition and acknowledge that they might benefit from help.

There are two areas, though, where asexuality offers a playwright purchase and potential. One is the issue of rights. Just because it's hard for sexualised beings to grasp, why should asexuality be stigmatised as suspect or perverse? The other relates to questions of psychology and identity. Some might argue that, unless thrown into a position where their beliefs about themselves are tested, how can asexual people make an informed choice about their defining preferences?

It's to the credit of Untouched, a 40-minute drama by Nick Huntington, that it makes you think about both of these issues. But it's a shame that it does so by the wrong kind of provocation. I have no doubt that this is an honourable, well-intentioned piece of work. Dramaturgical clumsiness, not bad faith, gives the piece its slightly exploitative air.

The setting is a studio in a converted attic. To this, her workplace, Miriam (Miriam Lucia), a young photographer, brings Caleb (Ed Fromson), a hunk with a great deal of photogenic sexual preference. She's just picked him up at a local pub and has offered to pay him to pose, as she wants to capture the real deal as opposed to the standard model-type.

Caleb is clearly a mental cut above the building site where he works. Stripping to the waist, he lets Miriam reposition his limbs and send her lens on intimate forays around his person. He gets ideas; he thinks she has ideas. And her mother (Tracey-Anne Liles) gets ideas, too. She finds out that Caleb was once charged with date rape. She threatens to blow his gaff if, for £5,000, he doesn't... well, you get the picture. The mother is convinced that Miriam is frigid rather than asexual and that the history of this began when, as a child, she discovered the corpse of her killed brother.

Jonathan Guy Lewis directs a dignified, well-acted production but the set-up pushes the piece into the chiaroscuro of melodrama rather than into the grey areas of genuine ambiguity. The pay-off, though the right one, is too abrupt to pay dividends. That said, Untouched does linger in the mind.

Archived