What's your Major?

fluffy_hime

What's your major?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• Architecture/Engineering
    • Accounting/Business/Economics
    • Advertising/Communications/Public Relations
    • Arts (includes Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Arts Admin, etc)
    • Biology/Chemistry
    • Computer Information/Science
    • Criminology/Psychology/Sociology
    • English/Writing/Journalism
    • Education
    • Exercise & Sport Sciences
    • French/German/Spanish/other
    • History/Political Science
    • Instrumental Music/Vocal
    • Mathematics
    • Philosophy/Religion

This poll is closed to new votes

I'm doing a degree on "Translation and Interpretation: Spanish - English" so I guess that's the closer as I get to a mayor (the system is quite different here) and my minor would be the same but as in Spanish - French, since English is my main foreing language and French is the minor one. Maybe the minor would be English to Spanish, but I'm not really sure...

I really don't know where to vote though. "English" doesn't work, and Spanish and French without it either... oh well :roll:

Nowadays, I don't think going to college is that important. When I was little I knew I was going to, I think it's the only thing I've been sure all my life. I went to kindergarten in order to go to university later, my mind worked like that. I loved learning and I didn't want to stop. Last year I spent it in the States and I realized it wasn't important at all, I don't really care if I finish my education in 5 years as I'm supposed to, or if I take a break... sometimes I even want to quit and just go abroad and work in some English speaking country for a while. It's not that I'm stressed, since I don't even go to most of my classes. They're extremely boring, and I hardly learn anything there... But I'm also aware that I'll need a title to work as a translator, so I gotta finish this someday :roll:

Electrical and Computer Engineering. In my senior year now and making straight A's. :)

I'm hoping for a Ph.D. someday, largely because my dad has one (in Biology) and I've always thought it would be cool to be "Dr. Xezlec". And don't tell me that's a stupid reason for getting a degree; it's my decision to make and I'm a born academic anyway (my profs usually make it a point at some point during the semester to let me know how incredibly much they think I should go to grad school, hehe).

Anyhoo, I am having trouble figuring out a field to specialize in. DSP? Computer Design? Perceptual systems? Automatic control? Solid state? Analog? I'm equally interested in all, and there have been times I've been leaning toward each of these. Oh well. Hope I figure it out sometime before I apply to grad school

:P

I have BS in Plant Biology with a concentration in Genetics and have MS in Biotechnology. I'm planning to go for a PhD in Molecular Biology or Microbiology.

Viroshield

I chose biology/chemistry, but that is by no means close to correct. I'm an environmental studies major, poli sci minor. Had I decided on things sooner, I would have been a double major in those and a minor in international studies. I started out as an animal behavior major, and that slowed me down too much. But I have dabbled in every subject listed, excluding communications and computer science. Going to a liberal arts school and having a interdisciplinary major makes me take a bunch of everything.

Double major Cognitive Science and Psychology.

Don't know what I'll do with the degrees; they always like to tell you that you can do anything with a liberal arts degree but I'm suspecting that's bullshit. Unless you're happy with menial administrative tasks. I don't think I coud stand sitting at a desk all day, making phone calls and filling out paperwork.

I don't really expect to have a job in the field of psychology, as I don't plan on going to grad school for a Ph.D. any time soon. I'm looking into aviation psychology, though. I hope something interesting and worthwhile will come along.

honeyandthemoon

I'm majoring in Accounting and International Business, and minoring in Environmental Law & Policy. I think I'm going to be in school forever! :shock:

artistic_trees

I'm currently finishing an MFA in ceramic and glass sculpture.

I have a BA in Art Education, a BFA in 3-D studio art, and a minor in Spanish.

In my spare time I am trying to study the Czech language on my own.

If I won the lottery I'd stay in school and get a few more degrees.

littlelisa

Coolness, Artistic trees!

I study Teaching English as a Second Language. I have previously studied and gotten a degree in Interior Architecture.

My Major hasn't been promoted from Captain yet.

(Translation: I'm far too broke to go to school right now)

artistic_trees

Does anyone else here feel that if they had unlimited amounts of money they would spend the rest of their days in school... learning everything they ever wanted to learn?

Does anyone else here feel that if they had unlimited amounts of money they would spend the rest of their days in school... learning everything they ever wanted to learn?

*raises hand*

shotinthedark

Majoring in anthropology (focus on osteology) and minoring in history. My minor used to be english, but I found it to be slightly irrelevant to the rest of my degree so I dropped it. It will still hold a special little place in my heart, though (go postcolonial literature!).

nonentities

If I could stay in school forever, I would. I love it to pieces.

Majoring in English, hopefully picking up a double degree in history, too.

Snowflower

I'm doing a degree in music composition. So I guess that's instrumental music/vocal..? *picks that one*

honeyandthemoon

I would stay in school forever if I didn't have to do homework or take tests. I love lectures and reading assignments.

I know I would.

shotinthedark

I would love to stay in school forever but I feel a certain need to apply the knowledge I've learned as well. What fun is knowledge if you're the only one who can use it?

Why would I need unlimited amounts of money? I actually spend like $40 US a semester on books, and materials.

Oh, sorry. I just realized I live in another hemisphere.

*loves living in the only third world country with next to free public education since 1918*

And for the record, I'm planning to do that. Though I don't know where I'll follow after Communication Science (I voted English, Journalism, etc, though it's not really a close match).

Cate Perfect
I would stay in school forever if I didn't have to do homework or take tests. I love lectures and reading assignments.

I completely second that. And if I could take whatever classes I wanted rather than having to prescribe to some course assignments. Boo to Biology!!

Cate

Lets see:

First semester last year:

Anthropology: $20 Arg

Writing Workshop: $6 Arg

Comm. Science I: $25 Arg

Radio Workshop: $6, plus some CDs and Tapes, so I guess around $10 Arg

Total: around $60 Arg. Which woud be $20 US. And I pay no kind of fee.

We do have an absolutely crappy building though. But that's cause Social Sciences, Philosophy, Letters and Psychology get less funds than other fields of study. The Law guys have a REAALLLY nice building with swimming pool and a gym. We get an ex factory in the Jewish quarter made of flammable materials and without any kind of security measures. And some windows are broken, so we have to look out for pigeon bombers while in some classes.

shotinthedark

That sounds rather motley. My classes are usually all over the place. The arts programs are still horribly underfunded, of course.

• 2 weeks later...
Hamster on Caffiene

MAY 8th 2005, got my BA in Art.

Any of you change majors? I originally started out doing studies for a forensic science major.

The Evil Cashew

I am majoring in french and possibly a minor in history!

then i am going to teachers college!

weeeeeeeeeee

(but really i hate being IN school)

~Cashew

Majoring in Wildlife and Fisheries Sciences. So I put "biology," even though the bio and WFSC majors are in two different colleges here at A&M. XP

LisaRochell

I'm studying BSc Environmental Science, and it's a multi-disciplinary, inter-disciplinary subject, but biology/chemistry is the closest tickbox (Viroshield's dilemma!).

I would spend the rest of my life in education if it were feasible. I've always wanted to learn sign language, but I haven't found a local place that runs the course, or runs it within my budget.

Archived