What's your Major?

fluffy_hime

What's your major?  

1 member has voted

1. 1.

• Architecture/Engineering
    • Accounting/Business/Economics
    • Advertising/Communications/Public Relations
    • Arts (includes Graphic Design, Fine Arts, Arts Admin, etc)
    • Biology/Chemistry
    • Computer Information/Science
    • Criminology/Psychology/Sociology
    • English/Writing/Journalism
    • Education
    • Exercise & Sport Sciences
    • French/German/Spanish/other
    • History/Political Science
    • Instrumental Music/Vocal
    • Mathematics
    • Philosophy/Religion

This poll is closed to new votes

fluffy_hime

I've noticed (and so have others) that a lot of us seem to be majoring in sociology. Just how many of us?

(Long-time grads welcome too)

**Don't hurt me if I left yours out or offended you by lumping it with something it's not! It only let me put in 15 options..**

Live R Perfect

I chose 'Arts' because the highest level qualification I currently have is in 3D Design. I am not currently in education (I've had to temporarily withdraw from my teacher training...)

bard of aven

Electrical Engineering (flunked out), Philosophy (B.A.), English (quit), Theology (transferred), Playwriting (M.F.A.), English-Scientific and Technical Communicatiion (M.A.).

boa

fluffy_hime

Knell--I was gonna put Speech/Theatre, but as I said--my poll options were restricted. You can put it under Arts! ^.^

EDIT: Whoo, A-gent! Take that, Ann!

Fluffy wins. We can all go home now.

for now, i'm clicking on business, but all that will change when i start majoring in nutrition.

hmm, i voted for french because i wanted to represent the foreign language peeps but then i realized my poli sci. brothers and sisters weren't represented.

officially, for the record, i graduated with degrees in political science and french.

off the record, i'd like to say i graduated from the school of hard knocks because it sounds cooler. but alas (and perhaps because i say silly words like that), i can't!

fluffy_hime

My test is fundamentally flawed! It doesn't allow for two majors of entirely different departments! Ah well. Pick the one you plan on getting a job in!

I have credits in Social Science and I am studying Health and Social care, and Sociology this year so I can get my BA Hons in 2 years time.

No mention of Social Work which I want to study after my degree!!

Sociology/Physics, but apparently that second one doesn't warrent an option (sniff).

fluffy_hime

::sighs heavily::

**Don't hurt me if I left yours out or offended you by lumping it with something it's not! It only let me put in 15 options..**

Maybe you should expand the poll options AG..

I'm a Biology major, but I'm supposed to be a double major with that and Business. My grades suck though, in part because I find most of the stuff so boring! I'm into hands on. Lectures in a room full of 400 students doesn't suit me well. The stuff I'm REALLY interested in, I'm not particularly fond of the jobs.

*wilts and looks dejected*

At the point in my life when I should have continued into higher education I was a total mental and emotional wreck. (Being as how I thought I was the only asexual on the entire planet.) Going to college would have meant relying on my parents' support for at least 4 more years. I couldn't do it. Instead, I fled the house and never went back. It was the beginning of that lost decade I call "my stupid years".

I had hoped to attend either LSU or Cornell and to eventually major in English or ornithology. 'Had the grades and test scores, but not the mental stability or something. Oh well ........

Am I the only person on this entire forum who DIDN'T attend college?

Even HERE I don't quite fit in ....?

-Greybird

Silly Green Monkey

I'm a Biology student hoping to be a forensic anthropologist, because I like bones better than flesh.

Grey--you're okay... and you could still go to college if you wanted! my mother will graduate before I do. (do I still say that I'm first-generation?)

fluffy_hime

Pish posh Greybird! ::AVEN hug:: You can't shake us!

One reason there might be a lot of college/high school students at AVEN is cause the younger generations grew up with computers/the Internet. And there probably aren't a lot of adults with no college education because without education it's hard to get a good-paying job and computers and online access ain't cheap!

*wilts and looks dejected*

At the point in my life when I should have continued into higher education I was a total mental and emotional wreck. (Being as how I thought I was the only asexual on the entire planet.) Going to college would have meant relying on my parents' support for at least 4 more years. I couldn't do it. Instead, I fled the house and never went back. It was the beginning of that lost decade I call "my stupid years".

I had hoped to attend either LSU or Cornell and to eventually major in English or ornithology. 'Had the grades and test scores, but not the mental stability or something. Oh well ........

Am I the only person on this entire forum who DIDN'T attend college?

Even HERE I don't quite fit in ....?

I'd say you fit in just fine. I didn't go back to college until after I'd faced my visual impairment and stopped wanting to hurt myself for not being like the world wanted me to be, for not fitting in.

In my 20s, I wasn't ready for school and that was that.

I started back when I was 33. I'll graduate with my bachelor's this year.

I'm often put off by the predominant contradiction underlying American educational philosophy- some people say you have to learn this now, do this now, or it will never be done, and others say, but it's never too late to go back, never too late to learn.

There is also an unhealthy contempt for amateurism, dilletantes, and self-education. I think the self-educated have much merit.

-Greybird

The stuff I'm REALLY interested in, I'm not particularly fond of the jobs.

*sigh* Same with me. I'm majoring in economics now and like it, but the jobs are incredibly boring desk/cubicle jobs. I'm thinking of switching over now to English. Does anyone know what sort of jobs you can get with an english degree other than teaching?

Archived