Jump to content

This DC Character is Canonically Ace!


Recommended Posts

DarkTeaTime

Hello everyone! I'm a new asexual YouTuber and I do videos about asexuality in relation to pop culture and media. My most recent video is about Connor Hawke from DC comics. I'd be honoured if you checked it out! :cake:Here it is!¬†ūüćį

  • Like 6
Link to post
Share on other sites
verily-forsooth-egads

…And here's the normal link for those who hate Shorts with a burning passion!

 

Nice video! I don't know much about DC, but it's great that a team of ace artists got to write a story they were passionate about.

 

  • Like 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkTeaTime
1 hour ago, verily-forsooth-egads said:

…And here's the normal link for those who hate Shorts with a burning passion!

 

Nice video! I don't know much about DC, but it's great that a team of ace artists got to write a story they were passionate about.

 

Thank you!! I didn't realize anyone hated shorts with a burning passion lol I find them really fun to make. Is it just the format you hate?
And yeah, I was super excited to hear the whole team was ace. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before!

Link to post
Share on other sites

I have mixed feeling about this. 

 

Before coming out as ace, Connor was a cool character because he was in many ways the opposite of his dad.

 

He was calm and contemplative.

 

Growing up in a monastery, he honed not only his attitude, but his skills as well.

 

So in a word he was already a cool character despite being ace, I guess him being ace is cool, but it feels a little like pandering to me.

 

That said, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying his ace status, or discovering this cool character now that he has a new angle.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
thylacine

This makes me want to go buy the comic book now :)

 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
verily-forsooth-egads
1 hour ago, DarkTeaTime said:

Thank you!! I didn't realize anyone hated shorts with a burning passion lol I find them really fun to make. Is it just the format you hate?
And yeah, I was super excited to hear the whole team was ace. I don't think I've ever heard of that happening before!

Yeah, the player where you can't scrub or replay and all the usual buttons are in different places for no reason at all. Easy enough to get around in a browser (replace /shorts/ with /watch?v=), but not possible in the app, and I'm not sure to what extent YouTube still uses those views as evidence that everybody loves Shorts. There's nothing at all wrong with short-form videos, in fact the way they're trying to replace them with Shorts is part of what rubs me wrong about it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkTeaTime
2 hours ago, verily-forsooth-egads said:

Yeah, the player where you can't scrub or replay and all the usual buttons are in different places for no reason at all. Easy enough to get around in a browser (replace /shorts/ with /watch?v=), but not possible in the app, and I'm not sure to what extent YouTube still uses those views as evidence that everybody loves Shorts. There's nothing at all wrong with short-form videos, in fact the way they're trying to replace them with Shorts is part of what rubs me wrong about it.

Iiinteresting! Thank you for the insight! I have similar complaints but I don't hate them, per se. I've definitely noticed that my shorts perform way better in numbers than my longer content, so I definitely think they are popular to some extent... But I hate seeing the corporate machine at work. Like "TikTok is big these days, we gotta compete!" and it's like "Oooor, you could just specialize in what people associate YouTube with most...? Long form content?". While my shorts perform better in numbers, my longer content makes people comment or stick around. It's definitely a mixed bag. Will be interesting to see what the algorithm does with my longer video I'm gonna post at the end of the week.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkTeaTime
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, argar said:

I have mixed feeling about this. 

 

Before coming out as ace, Connor was a cool character because he was in many ways the opposite of his dad.

 

He was calm and contemplative.

 

Growing up in a monastery, he honed not only his attitude, but his skills as well.

 

So in a word he was already a cool character despite being ace, I guess him being ace is cool, but it feels a little like pandering to me.

 

That said, I don't begrudge anyone enjoying his ace status, or discovering this cool character now that he has a new angle.  

That's totally fair! I'm personally really excited by it, especially since his coming out story was written by an all asexual team. When actual ace people are involved and are given the chance to tell the story from an authentic perspective, it feels more like an important vehicle for people who normally feel left out than pandering, to me. I Personally really like seeing how characters who kind of already read as ace to fans are actually being confirmed ace. I find it frustrating for example, how so many characters in things totally read as ace but everyone keeps denying the possibility as "nonsensical" or say things like "yeah, he has no interest in sex, BUT he couldn't be ace because--" and then they have no good reasons, they just really don't want ace people in their media. I have respect for when creators makes the move and stands behind it proudly. 

Edited by DarkTeaTime
Fixed a typo!
Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkTeaTime
2 hours ago, thylacine said:

This makes me want to go buy the comic book now :)

 

Me too! I can't wait to read it for myself!

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, DarkTeaTime said:

especially since his coming out story was written by an all asexual team.

This is kind of my point.

 

Why couldn't this team create an all new ace character?

 

Kind of like how Punchline took off as an all new character.

 

While I think Connor is great with a new ace angle, I would love to see an all new ace hero character.

 

I loved Apollo and the Midnighter when they first came out for a) being a gay super heroic couple, and b) being mostly their own unique characters. (Ha! I made a pun!)

 

While I never exactly liked the Batwoman character, I did like that she was a lesbian character from the start, where as, an established character like Detective Montoya just one day became gay. 

 

Her character is awesome, especially the whole arc where she becomes the new Question, but springing the fact she was gay kind of came out of nowhere. 

 

Speaking of Connor, and the world he inhabits, another all new character with an awesome arc is the new Speedy Mia Dearden.

 

She was the first character to have a pretty dark upbringing, while also, through the course of her character arc, discovers she was HIV positive. 

 

I think it would have also bothered me a little if instead of creating this new character, with her own motivations and past, they had decided to give Roy Harper HIV instead. 

 

I hope Connor does great as an ace character, but what I really hope is that he is just the vehicle to other new ace characters. 

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
DarkTeaTime
On 3/15/2023 at 12:53 AM, argar said:

This is kind of my point.

 

Why couldn't this team create an all new ace character?

 

Kind of like how Punchline took off as an all new character.

 

While I think Connor is great with a new ace angle, I would love to see an all new ace hero character.

 

I loved Apollo and the Midnighter when they first came out for a) being a gay super heroic couple, and b) being mostly their own unique characters. (Ha! I made a pun!)

 

While I never exactly liked the Batwoman character, I did like that she was a lesbian character from the start, where as, an established character like Detective Montoya just one day became gay. 

 

Her character is awesome, especially the whole arc where she becomes the new Question, but springing the fact she was gay kind of came out of nowhere. 

 

Speaking of Connor, and the world he inhabits, another all new character with an awesome arc is the new Speedy Mia Dearden.

 

She was the first character to have a pretty dark upbringing, while also, through the course of her character arc, discovers she was HIV positive. 

 

I think it would have also bothered me a little if instead of creating this new character, with her own motivations and past, they had decided to give Roy Harper HIV instead. 

 

I hope Connor does great as an ace character, but what I really hope is that he is just the vehicle to other new ace characters. 

 

 

I see what you mean, but DC pride is usually about celebrating existing characters people know and love. I would LOVE to see a new ace character altogether, but DC at the end of the day is a company so it would require a lot more finagling and meetings, and all that. For me, I'm just happy to see it at all, especially #ownvoices rep. What matters to me most is the quality of the representation, how authentic it feels, and if it's representation that actually means something to ace people. I grew up seeing no canonically ace characters, so this feels really special to me.

Link to post
Share on other sites

It is special.

 

And my particular take doesn't diminish that at all.

 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
thylacine
On 3/14/2023 at 11:18 PM, DarkTeaTime said:

Me too! I can't wait to read it for myself!

Is there a specific issue to look for?

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...