LGBTQIA+ History?

AstrophelDragon

I had no idea where to post this, so I hope someone moves this to the right place if I'm wrong.

I've fallen down a huge rabbit hole and want to dive into learning about queer history. I have learned basically nothing in high school except for a mention about Stonewall (and that's not because I just haven't reached it yet; I'm about to graduate). And there are certain people in my state's government that think we talk about LGBTQ too much in schools 🙄.

Anyway, I would really appreciate if anyone had any good resources for me to begin this process of learning as much queer history as I can. I am especially interested in learning about trans people, but will appreciate information about all identities. Thank you!

• Like 2

I'd check out your local library. Go into the computer database at the library (which replaced the card catalog) and do a search under subject.  You can gets the books you want through inter-library loan, if your library does not have something on the shelf.  Also, by the way, in most libraries (I'm in Massachusetts, so it might be different by state) your book borrowing history is private and confidential, so they can't call up your parents or teacher or school principal and say, "Hey, Johnny is reading a gay book!"

Another thing I do, which is because I'm cheap, is I look up subjects for books on Amazon, then if I see something I want, I search the library database for it.

• Like 3

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LGBT_history

Wikipedia is a good, reliable source which some people object to because "anybody can put anything on there," only anyone can fix bad edits too, so, especially on high-attention subjects like this, the trolling and disinformation doesn't stick for long.

I also recommend Wikipedia because it's so easy to click through on tanget subjects of interest and pursue more of what you're really interested in, without having to do another book hunt when the one you're looking in presents an interesting side topic.

It's possible that Wikipedia's coverage in English of this subject might be a little USA-centric but it's still going to be good info.

• Like 1

I'm glad your school mention Stonewall, mine did not mention LGBT+ at all.

There are 0 curriculum national standards around LGBT+ history in US schools.

States now making their own integration

:https://www.edweek.org/teaching-learning/four-states-now-require-schools-to-teach-lgbt-history/2019/08

Websites:

Human Rights Campaign

Drunk History

American Civil Liberties Union

Keywords/People:

-Keith Haring

-Marsha P Johnson

-Holly Near (Singing for our lives)

-Kye Allums

-Laverne Cox

-Hijras

-Bowers v. Hardwick (1986)

-Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (1996)

• Like 2
AstrophelDragon
20 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

I wish

21 minutes ago, GingerRose said:

Websites:

Human Rights Campaign

Drunk History

American Civil Liberties Union

Keywords/People:

-Keith Haring

-Marsha P Johnson

-Holly Near (Singing for our lives)

-Kye Allums

-Laverne Cox

-Hijras

-Bowers v. Hardwick (1986)

-Boy Scouts of America v. Dale (1996)

Tysm! I look forward to researching!!

• Like 2
TheBookDragon

online libraries are great, especially if you're in a place where reading a book with a cover that looks especially queer is going to put you in danger

you can find quite a few books if you filter by queer/LGBTQ+ (whatever your library uses) and then nonfiction

• Like 1
Lysandre, the Star-Crossed

As others have chimed in...your local library is a wonderful resource. Hopping online to search up and read old scanslated zines, manifestos, and flyers would probably be an insightful undertaking as well.

• Like 1

I did a lot of research into queer history a while ago. I can post some specific links (if I can found them), but it you can, I would suggest looking on Microsoft edge. With a lot of my research, I noticed that google had limited information, with a lot of it being biased. I used Microsoft edge to get more information, and it helped a lot.

• Like 1
AstrophelDragon

8 hours ago, Autumn ace said:

I would suggest looking on Microsoft edge. With a lot of my research, I noticed that google had limited information, with a lot of it being biased. I used Microsoft edge to get more information, and it helped a lot.

Oh wow that does give different search results. Thanks!

• Like 1