What I like about being aromantic

Picklethewickle

More me time! More personal space. I have a lot of books to read, and a lot of show to watch, and a lot of games to play, and the ocarina isn't going to practice itself. I want to do these things a whole lot more than I want to date.

It's taught me to be more introspective. I look inside myself and decide what I want and what I feel, allowing myself to be free of the script and demands of social expectations. This is a skill anyone can and should learn, not just aromantics. I encourage everyone to ask "What do I really feel" over "What does society say I should feel?" at any opportunity.

It makes it easier for me get to know and accept people for themselves, because there are no distractions about whether or not they are suitable potential partners.

Ironic aro hubris. I don't have to attract anyone or please anyone, I don't have to satisfy anyone, and that makes me feel absolutely thrilled.

The things I get to avoid:

No angst or heartbreak.

No interpersonal messes and dramas.

No disappointments when other people don't fulfill my desires or expectations. I don't have any for them to disappoint.

I don't have to include a partner in my personal decisions, or compromise for the sake of a peaceful relationship. What is important to me gets to keep being important to me. I don't have to give things up.

Fellow aros, what do you like about being aromantic?

• Like 11

I agree with pretty much all the above. These mostly lean more on things I like about being solo but... 😛

I always feel like a whole person.

I get to set up my entire living space in the way that makes sense to and is most convenient for me.

I don't have to clean up after someone else or negotiate where my clutter can go.

I can listen to trashy music on speakers whenever I want.

No one disturbs my sleep with their snoring.

It's easier to implement new habits/routines because I don't have to take into account a second person.

I can rearrange the furniture whenever I want to without needing someone else's approval.

No need to compromise on wall color or curtains! I can go hog wild if I'm so inclined.

Lots of sweet, sweet peace and quiet.

Janus the Fox

I’ve not experienced anything in particular, my aromanticism means I’ve not experienced anything at all with romance, attractions or relationships, no desires, nothing.  I do have a partner if nearly 6 years however that feels similarly.

• Like 1

Lying on the floor giving and receiving kisses from mt sister's little bunny or cuddling with my dog on the couch without feeling obligated to spend time with or communicate with anyone after work. Or just being able to make my own decisions about who to spend time with without having to consult a romantic other. No obligation to make someone else feel appreciated enough with gestures I don't particularly enjoy doing. I have a lot more time to myself to work on my own projects or hobbies. 

I feel free and unburdened. 

• Like 2