Have you come out?  

78 members have voted

1. 1. Have you come out?

• Not yet but I'm planning to
    • No and I don't want to, at least for now
    • Yeah! Many people know I'm ace!
    • Yes but only to a few people I trust the most

This poll is closed to new votes

I've come out only to my closest family, how about you?

• Like 1

When I did identify as ace, yes, my family knew. Some didn't get why they even needed to know but it made me feel more comfortable and understood. 

• Like 2

Pretty much all my friends know that I’m aroace, as does one of my cousins. It felt easy to tell him because he is also LGBTQ+. But most of my family doesn’t know. It feels odd to tell them and/or try to explain. My dad’s side of the family would likely be more accepting. My mom’s side of the family would probably subscribe to the “it’s just celibacy” school of thought.

• Like 1

Yes, I am completely open about my asexuality. I have discussed it with friends and family, and have it on dating sites and social profiles.

Prior to coming out as ace, I identified and came out as gay. I came out as nonbinary a few years ago.

• Like 2

I have an ace tattoo on my arm, and I wear short sleeves a LOT.

• Like 2

The only person who knows I'm asexual is my previous partner, and other than a potential partner, it's unlikely I'll tell anyone else.

• Like 1
Lord Jade Cross

The only people who know Im ace are other members here. But I have no intention to tell anyone outside this site about who I am. Its non of their business to begin with and I really dont need people playing rounds of attempting to "fix" me because "there is no such thing as someone who isnt interested in sex" 

• Like 2

I kind of just casually mention it to people if I find it relevant to share at the time and if I’ve decided that they seem open-minded and understanding.

• Like 2

came out to my family [emphasized more on my aromanticism] but i dont think they remembers; they just think im not romantic oriented thats all i suppose since they dont talk abt romance and sex around me anymore; its not like they talked abt sex at all but i felt like i have to add this. two of my irl friends also know im aroace and when i posted my public insta stories i talk abt being aroace a lot so i believe that a few fellow students already know. ofc pretty much all of my online friends knows too and i trust them more with this info

im generally very open abt my aroaceness but wont bring it up unless on insta stories or unless its relevant in the topic

• Like 1
hewhomainsness

i've only come out to my sis and i'm planning on coming out to my parents when the opportunity arises

• Like 1
TheMostColorfullBlobs

Yes, I’m im really loud about it especially when it comes to gender (doesn’t stop the misgendering, but eh I try)

• Like 3

No. I have to a few people, but I’m in no rush to go public.

Partially because most of the people I care about act the same as they would if I came out. They don’t know about the labels, but they rarely expect me to follow gender norms and they avoid talking about dirty things around me.

And mostly because that’d be scary. Especially since going public would mean my parents found out.

My parents definitely follow binary concepts. My mom doesn’t think bisexual people exist, and I doubt she believes in non-binary or greysexual people either. She’ll try to convince me that I’m confused and just want attention. And that’s a worry that I have to deal with on my own enough.

• Like 2
nickolekuebler

I have the blade of of my goal stick taped as the ace pride flag. I do not try to hide who I am at all so if it comes up I will talk about it but don't go out of my way. 

• Like 2

I have told my parents and a few other people that I’m “Not really interested in dating anyone right now”, but didn’t go any deeper than that. Nobody irl knows I’m bi either, not even my mom and stepmother who are a lesbian couple themselves. I’m a fairly private person, I guess.

• Like 1

I've told my sister, my friends, my partner, and my mom accidentally found out because i bought socks(long story).

• Like 1

I love wearing an ace ring because anyone who is acespec, or knows a lot about it, will know I'm ace without me having to say anything. Although I'm open about being aroace if anyone asks or if it comes up. Also out to my immediate family and friends!

• Like 2
J. van Deijck

Only to my sister. I typically don't discuss my orientation with other people at all. Some people know I like other guys, but not much detail besides that, they don't know the ace part of it.

• Like 2

I was never "in"

But I also don't go blabbing about these sorts of things to just anyone unprompted.  Most people simply won't care to hear about it.  It has nothing to do with being "closeted", because I think that would still be true even if I was completely heteronormative.

• Like 1

Yeah, many people know I'm ace - though I don't tell people outright most of the time. However, the majority of them don't believe it... so... 

• Like 1

My immediate family knows, and pretty much all of my friends know. I find it way easier to come out as ace / aroace in comparison to coming out as trans haha

• Like 1

All of my friends, even friends just on social media, know about me.  Some of my family knows...kinda...I've said a few things about it, but they don't really get it, so idk if that counts.

• Like 1
marieatsplants
14 hours ago, Artemis42 said:

I kind of just casually mention it to people if I find it relevant to share at the time and if I’ve decided that they seem open-minded and understanding.

Same here :) Especially if other people mention their own sexualities to me, I feel like it helps them feel comfortable around me if I'm vulnerable right back at them! I'm generally unconcerned if my "coming out" sticks in people's memories, though; it's not super important to me that I impress upon people my aspec-ness as far as key identity traits go.

• Like 1

I come out when it's necessary, as it's not a topic that gets inserted into conversation easily , but I'm tough enough and gobby enough to push back at the 'phobes' .

• Like 3

To a very limited extent; my mum and two close friends are the only ones who know that I'm both ace and trans, then a small group of people I have online RPG sessions with know that I'm trans since very recently (aceness hasn't come up and doesn't really feel relevant); otherwise it's "just" AVEN ^^

Only to my sister and a handful of trusted friends.

AKA

I'm really not asexual. Still trying to figure out what in the world I am. But as I have expressed before I am something strange that shifts between being repulsed by anything sexual or having the desire anyway.

Since I'm all over the place on this subject it doesn't feel right to "come out", but I have always thrown out hints. A year or two ago I did post an ace meme on my FB feed. I have also hinted at my repulsion when the subject is brought up. Even in the most casual of discussions (in which it is relevant) with acquaintances. Completely throws them off! LOL

To my friends and family I am out as bi, leaning lesbian. I'm open about that with them, but I am not open about that in general public because I live in Oklahoma, and my workplace is not a friendly place for this, to say the least. (Disability led me to this job. So I appreciate it and plan to stay until I move).

CincinnatiAsexual

Yes, I am out to one of my siblings, my wife, and a few friends.

a little annihilation

I've come out to everyone I care to tell, although I'm not 100% about being ace anymore. Leaning more towards demi at the moment.