Favorite Game Console (6th Generation)

Missing

Favorite Game Console (6th Generation)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 6th gen game console?

• SEGA Dreamcast
    • Sony PlayStation 2
    • Xbox
    • Nintendo GameCube

This poll is closed to new votes

Looking at the numbers, the GameCube has ~1.5x the CPU (485 MHz vs 295 MHz) and graphical horsepower of the PS2.  This isn't entirely surprising, since it launched more than a year later.  The difference in graphics seems to be more due to aesthetics:  some of the GameCube's most popular titles were marketed at a younger audience, so you'd expect to see cartoonish characters, bright colours, and so on.  Nintendo has always liked that kind of art style.  The PS2 was aiming at an older crowd, and so most games had darker, more textured graphics with more realistically-proportioned characters.  The cartoony, stylized aesthetic is rejected by some people regardless of the technical chops involved, and I admit I'm not big on it either, but it isn't related to the technical constraints imposed by these consoles.

(Good 2D is still more aesthetically pleasing than any 3D.  Fight me. :P)

• Like 1

Playstation 2 all the way, so many good memories (especially due to mine being a christmas gift ) and games, standouts for me include Kingdom Hearts 2 , Persona 4, and Okami.

• Like 2

Gamecube was my main one. Melee, Wind Waker, Sunshine, Pokemon Colosseum/XD/Channel, Donkey Konga, Luigi's Mansion, Metroid Prime, Sonic Adventure 2 Battle - I loved it!

• Like 2

That’s such a hard one but the PlayStation 2 was dear to my heart as a kid and I still play it on occasion. But the same goes for GameCube… Something special about the PS2 to me

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

@Mackenzie Holiday

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator