Favorite Game Console (6th Generation)

Missing

Favorite Game Console (6th Generation)  

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 6th gen game console?

• SEGA Dreamcast
    • Sony PlayStation 2
    • Xbox
    • Nintendo GameCube

This poll is closed to new votes

SEGA's last generation, and the generation where Microsoft joined the battle.

This one's a lot harder for me to choose. They're all some of my favorite consoles for very different reasons.

Which is your favorite 6th gen console?

• Like 1

I would definitely say PlayStation 2 for this one. The only one I have never owned or played is the GameCube. I've owned PlayStation 2 and X-Box (PlayStation 2 when it came out, and X-Box second hand a few years later), and my brother owned a Dreamcast.

Edited by Sammie M
  • Like 3

As much as the Dreamcast and Gamecube were awesome, the PS2 just had lots to it, including Kingdom Hearts, and is one of the consoles I got and played the most.

I 'think' it's the console I have the most games on.

• Like 2

Never played the Dreamcast didn't care much for the OG Xbox and the Gamecube is just ok but the PS2 is my favorite console of all time, I still regular play mine almost daily. It was the first console I ever bought with my own money as an adult. So many great games including the great WWE game IMO Smackdown Here Comes The Pain, my introduction to the Grand Theft Auto series with Vice City, Yugioh Duelist Of The Roses, Sims Bustin Out, Risk Global Domination all games I still play regularly to this day.

• Like 4
Fraggle Underdark

Vice City is kinda magical

• Like 4

PS2, for the same reason as I went with the PSX in the previous generation:  JRPGs.  It's also the last game console I ever bought (so far, anyway), and one of the ones I still have, last used a few months ago for a playthrough of one of the Atelier Iris games.

• Like 3
49 minutes ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

Vice City is kinda magical

Banger of a soundtrack although I do have the talk radio stations VCPR and KChat sets downloaded on my computer.

• Like 3
Fraggle Underdark
2 minutes ago, blunose2772 said:

Banger of a soundtrack although I do have the talk radio stations VCPR and KChat sets downloaded on my computer.

"As every woman knows, if you can't support a medallion, you can't support a family" :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

"As every woman knows, if you can't support a medallion, you can't support a family" :D

If at first you don't get hurt, beat the guy very hard in the face with a paperweight. It just worked for me and I feel like a million dollars!

• Like 2

Dreamcast >3> 

Ok, so the thing is, I LOVE ps2 and Gamecube, and even enjoyed some of the Xbox, but I have the most fun memories with games on the Dreamcast. I might've played more games on the ps2, but I don't remember them as much as Shenmue, Seventh Cross, Silver, Sonic Adventure, Project Justice....And the Sakura Taisen games I imported etc. etc. So yeah, it's a close one...but Dreamcast for me! :P 

• Like 3

Playstation 2, EASY.

so many memories made on that thing in my childhood. There was this one Disney princess game I played to death, and I played a couple Sonic games on it, too. OH, and Crash Bandicoot and Simpsons Hit & Run. Then, later on, Persona 4! Which I am replaying on my PS2 currently :P

I didn't get a Gamecube until a little later, and I still enjoyed playing Smash Melee, Animal Crossing, and Mario Kart Double Dash, but it was too late to stay in "nostalgic memories".

I have zero experience with xbox or sega consoles :P, so..

• Like 3
Fraggle Underdark
14 minutes ago, blunose2772 said:

If at first you don't get hurt, beat the guy very hard in the face with a paperweight. It just worked for me and I feel like a million dollars!

Remember, the only way to succeed in football or life, is to destroy everything in your path, in a blind rage :D

• Like 2
1 minute ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

Remember, the only way to succeed in football or life, is to destroy everything in your path, in a blind rage :D

I have taken the skills that I have learned on the football field right to the used car industry. Snatch grab and RUN LIKE H**L

• Like 2
nutterwithasolderingiron

gamecube was the last console i ever loved and i have so many great memories attached to it. basically in high school, me and 2 of my friends tried to beat the system of "you can only have one console" one friend went with the ps2. one went for xbox and i went for gamecube because it was the cheapest. but it was the one that we would all have the most fun playing together. smash bros, mariokart double dash (best mariokart game) and all that good stuff. one of my favorite memories was a bunch of us sitting in my room doing a group playthrough of pokemon colusseum and riffing on it over the course of 2 days. to this day, ludicolo is one of my favorite pokemon...... thanks miror b. i also remember eternal darkness fucking with me no end. 

there was ps2 games we'd have fun playing together (the warriors, san andreas, dark cloud) but none of them were as fun as a group as what the gamecube could do. 

• Like 4
26 minutes ago, - 𝕱𝖗𝖆𝖌𝖌𝖑𝖊𝕽𝖔𝖈𝕶 - said:

😆

GameCube, I love everything about the GameCube aside from that it wasn't very powerful so the games looked like shit. But they looked bad on all systems at the time so. But the design of the system itself is still the best console design ever. It's like a Pandora's Box of plastic and circuitry.

Also it had Animal Crossing and that was the only game I could play because the rest required effort and skill. Animal Crossing was magical and I replaced reality with countless hours of it.

Fraggle Underdark
24 minutes ago, nutterwithasolderingiron said:

i also remember eternal darkness fucking with me no end.

Yes! Eternal Darkness was wonderful!

• Like 1
15 hours ago, Mirror Traveller said:

Also it had Animal Crossing and that was the only game I could play because the rest required effort and skill. Animal Crossing was magical and I replaced reality with countless hours of it.

I thought I had my mind made up until I saw this. I somehow totally forgot about the OG Animal Crossing!

On the one hand, PS2 had FFX, Silent Hill 2 and 3, and was backwards compatible for 1, so that’s 4 of my very favorite games to this day.

But GameCube had Luigi’s Mansion and Animal Crossing which are both inseparable parts of my childhood.

And it doesn’t help that I was obsessed with Halo after I first played it.

This is such a tough one…

I think I’m going to still have to go with the PS2, though. But only by a hair. If there was ever a generation to buy all the consoles, this was the one, for me.

• Like 2
6 minutes ago, Mirror Traveller said:

@Mackenzie Holiday I had no idea you could play Halo on GameCube, I thought that was exclusively for X-Box. That is wild. In the past were these companies not as competitive?

Oh oops, I realize I was really unclear, haha. Yeah, it was an Xbox exclusive, I meant to say it didn’t help my decision between all the consoles that I was obsessed with Halo, since that makes me want to pick Xbox. There were so many great exclusives this time around.

This is a pretty hard choice, but I went with Gamecube, out of all these consoles it was the first one I had and it had an insanely good library: Metroid Prime, Animal Crossing, Ikaruga, F-Zero GX, SoulCalibur II, Super Smash Bros. Melee (even if I later started to despise Smash Bros.), Viewtiful Joe, Resident Evil 4, Super Monkey Ball, Sonic Adventure 1 and 2, Chibi-Robo, Star Wars: Rogue Squadron II and III (but mostly II), probably others I'm forgetting.

Got a PS2 later and played a lot of GTA: Vice City and San Andreas, which probably don't hold up very well today. Burnout 3 was maybe my most played game that generation, and I still play it whenever I can (although on PC upscaled and in widescreen, of course). In fact, out of all the games I mentioned F-Zero GX, Ikaruga and Burnout 3 are very high on my list of all time favorite games.

Dreamcast was a very good console too, but I'd be lying if I said I played it anywhere near as much as the others. Sega deserved better, though.

15 hours ago, Mirror Traveller said:

GameCube, I love everything about the GameCube aside from that it wasn't very powerful so the games looked like shit.

That's a pretty weird take considering it was more powerful than PS2. I'd say F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime looked great back then and even today, especially when upscaled.

• Like 1
5 minutes ago, Still said:

That's a pretty weird take considering it was more powerful than PS2. I'd say F-Zero GX and Metroid Prime looked great back then and even today, especially when upscaled.

Your opinion is wrong.

4 minutes ago, Mirror Traveller said:

Your opinion is wrong.

OK, so what game from the era in your opinion looked good? Or did every single one of them look like shit? If so, maybe you could tell me what game today or from any other era looks good to you, just so there's some frame of reference here.

@Mackenzie Holiday Ohh. I did hear about some sort of partnership in the 90's, I think it was between Sega and some other company. But Halo on GameCube seemed really out there, haha. You're right, those systems were all really equal. I remember Silent Hill is your favorite game series though so PS2 seems like a clear winner. I never got to play those but Silent Hill has always seemed very cool to me.

16 minutes ago, Mirror Traveller said:

@Still If you were actually confident in your opinions then you wouldn't need to try to convince others to validate them.

:huh:

I'm looking for anyone to validate anything, just wanted to know what games you do think look good.

And maybe tone down the hostility for a conversation about video game graphics of all things.

3 minutes ago, Still said:

And maybe tone down the hostility for a conversation about video game graphics of all things.

38 minutes ago, Still said:

That's a pretty weird take

26 minutes ago, Still said:

OK, so what game from the era in your opinion looked good? Or did every single one of them look like shit? If so, maybe you could tell me what game today or from any other era looks good to you, just so there's some frame of reference here.

4 minutes ago, Mirror Traveller said:

Yeah, a neutral if slightly playful response and a neutral question. What's your point?

After recently buying a PS2 and and one of my favourite games that I played on it at the time (Need for Speed: Most Wanted)... I can honestly say, nostalgia is a bitch.

How did we enjoy racing games back in the day? X to accelerate EWW. "Oh, but you can use the right thumbstick" I hear you shout... I can also use a chainsaw to shave, doesn't mean it's a good option!

• Like 1