can you feel sensually in love? sexualliy in love? aesthetically in love? if so, would that mean you're romantic? is being in love automatically romantic even if it is just aesthetic? can you be platonically in love?

No? It's kind of different things. Sex can be a love language so it kind of goes back to romance. Beauty can entrance you but that's not really being in love.

You could super duper love those things though. And maybe someone can feel super strongly in some way, though I don't think you could really connect in the same way.

And I guess if someone can have a squish, they could really love a friend quite a lot. But If someone is so in love with someone that they want to be with them all the time and super close (in an intimate way) and be theirs.. I mean that's romantic. At a certain point it crosses the line from friendship to an intimate/romantic relationship.

Edit: Kinda curious what kind of experiences some people have had with strong friendship though.

• Like 2
7 hours ago, _River_ said:

is being in love automatically romantic even if it is just aesthetic?

I would say no to this. Love is whatever you define it as. There's no real way to say that we all love the same, in fact, there's lots of reasons why we can say we all love different. One example being this, the debate of what love is. I think we all experience love in different ways, or at least perceive it differently. Personally, I feel different types of love. Platonic love and romantic love being the two most prominent ones in my life--the former is for the majority of my friends and the latter is for the people I go inexplicably stupid around.

DarthShakespeare
On 1/29/2023 at 4:33 PM, _River_ said:

is being in love automatically romantic even if it is just aesthetic? can you be platonically in love?

I'd say love isn't automatically romantic, think about family- you don't love them romantically, but rather platonically. Love is just a bond that you feel with someone. It could be romantic, platonic, etc. So I'd say that any bond that you feel with/for someone can be a type of love... except maybe if that bond is one of arch rivals, but idk the enemies to lover trope might be a thing for a reason.

DarthShakespeare
On 1/29/2023 at 4:41 PM, Sarah-Sylvia said:

Edit: Kinda curious what kind of experiences some people have had with strong friendship though.

I have several strong friendships, and I like to think of those friends as my siblings. Basically a deep platonic bond. Maybe its an only child thing, idk.

• Like 1

'In love' is a specific phrase denoting romantic love. You can feel sexual desire for someone without being in love with them. You can think someone is aesthetically attractive without being in love with them. Some people enjoy intimate non-sexual touch with people they're not in love with. And of course you can feel very strong love for family and friends that isn't at all related to sex or romance. But 'in love' is a romantic thing. (And obviously when you're in love with someone romantically, it's also pretty likely you'll experience the other things you mentioned too. I'm drawn to my partner sexually, sensually and aesthetically, and he's also very much my friend and like family as well.)

• Like 2
DarthShakespeare
11 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

'In love' is a specific phrase denoting romantic love. You can feel sexual desire for someone without being in love with them. You can think someone is aesthetically attractive without being in love with them. Some people enjoy intimate non-sexual touch with people they're not in love with. And of course you can feel very strong love for family and friends that isn't at all related to sex or romance. But 'in love' is a romantic thing. (And obviously when you're in love with someone romantically, it's also pretty likely you'll experience the other things you mentioned too. I'm drawn to my partner sexually, sensually and aesthetically, and he's also very much my friend and like family as well.)

Ah, I missed the "in" part of "in love". I agree "in love" means romantically. And I agree you can feel and do many things without being in love with someone. I was just specifically talking about the fact that love can absolutely be platonic. It doesn't have to be, but thats one thing that can happen. Since I've never been "in love" I don't have much to say about that type of love, but it sounds nice. I've come to the point in my life where if something happens and I fall in love, cool. If I never do, cool. But a life partner of some kind would be nice, like a roommate who you get along well with and choose to live with.

3 minutes ago, DarthShakespeare said:

I was just specifically talking about the fact that love can absolutely be platonic.

Yeah I know. :) I was just responding to the OP's question (and started writing my post before your posts even popped up).

• Like 1
DarthShakespeare
Just now, Ceebs said:

Yeah I know. :) I was just responding to the OP's question (and started writing my post before your posts even popped up).

Ah, sorry somehow I thought you were responding to me since I got a notification and I thought I had notifications on only for direct replies 🤣

• Like 1