Favorite Game Console (5th Generation)

Mackenzie Holiday

Favorite Game Console (5th Generation)   

29 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 5th gen game console?

• SEGA Saturn
    • Sony PlayStation
    • Nintendo 64

This poll is closed to new votes

Mackenzie Holiday

This was the generation Sony joined the console wars.

I don't think I ever played a SEGA Saturn, but I've played endless hours of PlayStation and Nintendo 64 games. My proper introduction to Final Fantasy was on the PlayStation, and my favorite ever game franchise Silent Hill began there... but the N64 had Ocarina of Time, so I'm still going to have to say the Nintendo 64 was my personal favorite in this generation.

What's yours?

• Like 3

I owned an N64 and a PS1 - but I had the N64 first, had more games for it and played it a lot more, so I guess that wins!

I don't think I've ever played a Saturn game.

• Like 3

The original PlayStation, because I had Final Fantasy 7 and also Command and Conquer: Red Alert Retaliation. With Retaliation, you could use a link cable between two original PlayStations to play against another Human, and me and my youngest brother used to play against each other a lot, spend time each setting up our bases and armies, and then slugging it out. Would play for a few hours at a time.

Never played the Saturn, and very little on the Nintendo 64, because with PlayStation we all (me and my brothers) converted fully to PlayStation and left Atari, Sega, Nintendo, etc behind, until I got the X-Box 360 many years later.

• Like 3
nutterwithasolderingiron

given that this is the music that plays in my head when i'm disassociating. i think i'm gonna vote ps1.

• Like 4

I only had n64 and loved it. I like ps but didn't grow up with it.

Only later got into playstation 2 and ps1 later xD, but always loved nintendo consoles even if I came to like playstation ones a lot too.

• Like 3

I had a netendo 64 growing up tho idk what the first thing was

and I've never seen a ps1 in my life

• Like 3

I like all of them, But the Playstation is the one i have the fondest memories of. My Parents had it and some other consoles before me and my brother were born and when we were old enough, let us play some games on it. We have every gen of Playstation in our house and we have some sega and nintendo consoles in our house (No Xbox consoles as mum refuses to get any here's why in her words "Microsoft has a huge hold on the computer market, I'd rather buy consoles made by other developers")

• Like 4

I voted for Playstation, even though I never actually had one at the time. I jumped from the Mega Drive to the PS2 but backwards compatibility still counts right? I mostly remember racing games like Gran Turismo 2 and TOCA: Touring Car Championship. 

I don't remember much about the N64 and I don't think I ever saw a Saturn outside of a museum.

• Like 4

Only thing I enjoyed about the Sega Saturn was the Segata Sanshiro ads. (they only aired in Japan so I didn't see them until long after the fact via You Tube but they are still awesome)

I loved my N 64. Super mario World 62, Mario Kart 64, Mario Party, Diddy Kong Racing, Pokemon Snap, Pokemon Stadium. Starfox 64. All classics. One of my cousins was one of those kids that no matter what it was or how good you were at it he always a little better and so *bleep* smug about it. Nascar 99 was the first game I ever beat him in. Granted he got mad and threw a controller through my TV and I got punished for it.  I also had Major League Baseball Featuring Ken Griffy Jr., NHL 99, Command And Conquer, Banjo Kazooie, Yoshi's Story, 1080 Snowboarding, Cruisin USA, and Waialae Country Club golf. I wanted Goldeneye SO bad but my mom wouldn't let me get it. 

I also had a PSX but I was late to the game getting it and it soon to be phased out. Still had fun with it. I had Tomb Raider 3 Tomb Raider The Last Revelation, Army Men World War Team Assault, Ceaser's Palace, Monopoly, Sabrina The Teenage Witch A Twitch In Time, Yugioh Forbidden Memories, Harry Potter And The Sorcerer's Stone, Big Race USA Pinball, Nameco Museum Volumes 1 and 2, NHL 2000, Sim Theme Park,  and a Demo disk (I don't remember what all was on it but I remember a demo of a Crash Banidcoot game and a demo of Half Life)

• Like 3
Janus the Fox

N64 is the console I'd started my gaming journey on, though I'd liked to have something from SEGA the previous generation, I'd also went back to PS1 games since PS2 backwards compatibility.

Goldeneye 007, 1080 Snowboarding, The New Tetris, Top Gear Overdrive, F1 World Grand Prix, Extreme-G, FIFA World Cup, Virtural Pool 64, and Perfect Dark.

And backwards with games like Ape Escape, Tomb Raider, Rayman, Crash Bandicoot, Final Fantasy Origins, 7, 8, 9, Digimon World & 3000 as well as Digimon Rumble Arena, Metal Gear Solid and Yu-Gi-Oh: Forbidden Memories.

• Like 3

Playstation 1...but I loved N64 and Saturn, too. They all have great games on them, but I definitely played the PS1 most.

• Like 3

Playstation probably wins just by sheer volume.

Voted Saturn though, because it's criminally underrated and one of my favorite consoles. Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Fighters Megamix, Sakura Wars, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon I, Zwei and Saga, Saturn Bomberman (10 players!), Nights into Dreams, Fighting Vipers, an insanely good selection of shmups including a few exclusive, ports of SNK and Capcom fighters that make the PSX versions look pathetic...

Peak Sega ruined by terrible business decisions, and many of these games were never even released in the West, especially not the ones that used the 1 or 4 meg RAM carts.

• Like 4
a little annihilation

This is tough because this is my favourite generation that in my opinion has the best games ever. I have to go with N64 though.

• Like 4
18 hours ago, Gloomy said:

PS1 was my childhood.

I'm curious what games you liked on ps1, that you grew up with. :)

• Like 3
23 minutes ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

I'm curious what games you liked on ps1, that you grew up with. :)

Crash Bandicoot 2, Crash Team Racing, Star Wars Episode 1, Spyro.

• Like 3

Voted Playstation, but to be honest I never owned any console of that generation—I picked up the PSX games later, on the PS2.  Since my primary thing was always JRPGs, there weren't many games of interest on the other consoles (Panzer Dragoon Saga might, in retrospect, have been worth playing for me, but not to the point of buying a whole console for).  It was the PSX that had all the Squaresoft JRPGs of that era, plus Suikoden 1 and 2, the Lunar remakes, WildARMs, etc.

• Like 4
5 hours ago, Still said:

Playstation probably wins just by sheer volume.

Voted Saturn though, because it's criminally underrated and one of my favorite consoles. Virtua Fighter 2, Daytona USA, Sega Rally, Die Hard Arcade, Guardian Heroes, Radiant Silvergun, Fighters Megamix, Sakura Wars, Burning Rangers, Panzer Dragoon I, Zwei and Saga, Saturn Bomberman (10 players!), Nights into Dreams, Fighting Vipers, an insanely good selection of shmups including a few exclusive, ports of SNK and Capcom fighters that make the PSX versions look pathetic...

Peak Sega ruined by terrible business decisions, and many of these games were never even released in the West, especially not the ones that used the 1 or 4 meg RAM carts.

SAKURA WARS YES. ❤️ 

• Like 2

PlayStation for me

• Like 3
Alaska Native Manitou

The Sega 32X is missing. Sure it won't get any votes, but it existed & some of us were tricked into buying it.

Mackenzie Holiday
30 minutes ago, Alaska Native Manitou said:

The Sega 32X is missing. Sure it won't get any votes, but it existed & some of us were tricked into buying it.

Interesting, I hadn’t heard of that one. It looks like it was an add-on for the Sega Genesis and not a standalone console, though.

• Like 2
  • 11 months later...

@Mackenzie Holiday

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator