Why do men inc height & weight in profile?

Noticed E.Asian men tend to include their height & weight in dating profiles. Why? 

I sort of get the height thing after hearing some allo friends discuss the "At least 6ft" (odd deal breaker imo). Still don't understand the weight though - thoughts ? 

• Like 1

They believe that height & weight combined can communicate level of health, and that communicating they are in great health makes them more attractive.

• Like 4

I think it can go beyond East Asian people. I think in a lot of cultures dating/matchmaking has kind of a transactional style. 

• Like 2

Because these things are important to most of the kinds of people who use dating sites.

If anything weight is a more common dealbreaker than height is, I think.

2 hours ago, rebis said:

They believe that height & weight combined can communicate level of health, and that communicating they are in great health makes them more attractive.

Ah OK. Makes sense now - thanks!

• Like 1
2 hours ago, Monke Jimmy said:

I think it can go beyond East Asian people. I think in a lot of cultures dating/matchmaking has kind of a transactional style. 

A tall guy of fit build who is an ass, is still an ass. Donkey transaction denied 🙃

• Like 5
2 hours ago, AspieAlly613 said:

Trying to make themselves seem sexy.

"Sexy" is... So. Incredibly. Subjective.

1 hour ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

It's like a meat market

Buuut...the fattiest pieces are usually the tastiest at market...

• Like 1
41 minutes ago, Philip027 said:

Because these things are important to most of the kinds of people who use dating sites.

If anything weight is a more common dealbreaker than height is, I think.

Fair enough. 

15 minutes ago, Eutierria said:

Buuut...the fattiest pieces are usually the tastiest at market...

good point xD. not a perfect analogy.

but i guess still it's like selling their body lol. Sounds weird to put it like that tho

• Like 1

Because our society has deemed it Very Important how tall men are and what they weigh and that it affects their worth as a partner, just like it tells women similar things, except it's still socially acceptable to make those things important for men while we openly recognise that's it's harmful to women.

I'm not saying the physical aspects of who someone is never play a role in whether someone else is attracted to them of course, and there are evolutionary reasons for this that are independent of more modern-day fixations on appearance, but the focus on specific numbers is asinine, IMO.

I'd be actively put off if I saw that information in someone's dating profile lol. I'd make the assumption they weren't my type of person. I'd probably also feel worried that they were going to be too focussed on those aspects of me, which would be detrimental to my own mental wellbeing.

22 hours ago, Sarah-Sylvia said:

It's like a meat market

More like shopping for furniture, where you need these details in order to tell if the piece you like would look good in your apartment.

• Like 2
5 minutes ago, The Abhorred said:

More like shopping for furniture, where you need these details in order to tell if the piece you like would look good in your apartment.

My partner looks great in my apartment, exactly where I want him. 😂

• Like 2
37 minutes ago, Ceebs said:

My partner looks great in my apartment, exactly where I want him. 😂

I take every man that visits my place in my basement. They all love it so much they don't wanna leave. 😏

• Like 3
6 minutes ago, The Abhorred said:

I take every man that visits my place in my basement. They all love it so much they don't wanna leave. 😏

My brain made that pretty kinky. 😅

• Like 2

I'd bet that men think that being tall and comparatively slender is more attractive than short and heavy.  When woman I've known have talked about what male physical attractiveness means to them, they've never said short and heavy.  That may not be fair, but it's reality.   

Someone being short is a good thing if you're me, given I'm 5'2". I've taken photos standing next to a friend who's nearly 6 and a half feet tall and we look ridiculous. Perfectly content with Tele being about 5'6". 

1 hour ago, Ceebs said:

Someone being short is a good thing if you're me, given I'm 5'2". I've taken photos standing next to a friend who's nearly 6 and a half feet tall and we look ridiculous. Perfectly content with Tele being about 5'6". 

That's your individual opinion; everyone's welcome to theirs.  

4 hours ago, Sally said:

That's your individual opinion; everyone's welcome to theirs.  

Wait, what is? That someone being relatively short is convenient for me personally since I'm short? That it looks silly when I stand side by side with someone I know who happens to be incredibly tall? That I'm content with my partner's height? Of course they're my individual opinions. And those are literally the only three statements I made there, intended in a very lighthearted and almost jokey way, and why would anyone else give a shit about any of those things? They're very specific to me and my life and individual people I know, it's nothing to do with anyone else so it would be kind of weird if they had an opinion. I mean yeah, if you have opinions on stuff about my existence, knock yourself out I guess. I didn't say no one else should have their own feelings and preferences when it comes to their own partners. Hell, I didn't even say I wouldn't date someone tall myself, because I absolutely would if I fell for them. I said a photo with a significant height discrepancy between me and someone else looked silly -- which it does, given this person towers over me -- and that it's handy that my partner is short like me. Which it is, because it makes things hugging and fucking each other senseless easier. (TMI? Oh well.)

Why do I feel like you're always trying to find a way to criticise? I don't get it.