Favorite Game Console (4th Generation)

Mackenzie Holiday

Favorite Game Console (4th Generation)  

20 members have voted

1. 1. Which is your favorite 4th gen game console?

• Super Nintendo Entertainment System
    • SEGA Genesis

This poll is closed to new votes

Mackenzie Holiday

I’ve been feeling nostalgic about old game consoles recently, and I wanted to revisit the console wars here and see where you all stood (or stand) in each generation.

I feel like the battle of the 16-bit game consoles marked the beginning of the console wars. Nintendo versus SEGA. Which 4th generation game console was your favorite of the two?

I was thinking of making a single poll with one question for every generation of console, but I think each generation of consoles deserves a dedicated couple of days of reminiscence. I’ll make a poll for the next generation after a few days and so on after that.

Two games that fill me with the most nostalgia to revisit were for the Super Nintendo, Super Metroid and Yoshi’s Island. I couldn’t get enough of them as a kid, even though I couldn’t get very far in either of them without help. Do you have any memories with either of these consoles?

• Like 1

Tough call. I had both consoles and loved them both. Aladdin for the SNES is the first console game I ever beat without using a Game Genie/Game Shark. (The first video game in general I ever beat on my own was The Simpson's Arcade). 

• Like 1
Alaska Native Manitou

Wasn't TurboGraphics 16 part of this generation? The rise of handheld systems too.

Super Nintendo butchered Mortal Kombat--pun intended.

I can't remember a great deal from my console days, especially that early on, but I remember having a lot more games that I enjoyed on the SNES. We had a multitude of games consoles growing up, so I have played on a lot of them.

• Like 1

One thing I'm still confused about to this day that happened involving my Sega Genesis (Kinda, sorta) is a neighbor of mine used to trade games back and forth. I'd borrow one of his for a week or so and he'd borrow one of mine for a week or so. One time he had my copy of Nigel Mansell's championship racing for over a month. I asked for it back a couple times. Turned out he loaned it to a 3rd kid whom I never met so of course without my permission and that kid looked like he was never gonna give it back. First off who does that? 

So I come up with an idea. Until I get my game back I'd hold on to one of his. This arrangement was agreed to by all parties involved. My dad heard about this and was proud I found a non violent way to solve a problem and started to understand how things work in the adult world (I was around 11 at the time). My mom however got pissed and made me give back the game I was holding on to and I never got my game back. Never found why that made her mad. I think she wanted me to do the "normal" thing and beat the kid up. Ya that wasn't gonna happen. If I tried I'd be the one beaten up. 

• Like 3
a little annihilation

I've never been into Sega because my dad was not. My girlfriend is though

• Like 2

Sega for life. Sonic 1-3, Revenge of Shinobi & Shinobi III, Streets of Rage 2, Contra: Hard Corps (best Contra game), Castlevania: Bloodlines, Thunder Force II-IV, Rocket Knight Adventures, Aladdin and of course objectively the best video game ever, Gunstar Heroes.

Mega Drive is the superior name to the Genesis, though.

• Like 2
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 11 months later...

@Mackenzie Holiday

This poll is being locked and moved to the read only Census archive for it's respective year. As part of ongoing Census organisation, and in an attempt to keep the demographics of the polls current with the active user base at the time, the polls will last for one year from now on. However, members are allowed and even encouraged to restart new polls similar to the archived ones if they like them.

iff, Census Forum Moderator