50 plus Asexual and Non Binary

Anyone else on here who is 50 plus, asexual and identifies as non binary

I have come out as Non Binary and asexual to just one person so far and that was this week. And really lost about where to go from here

• Like 3

Welcome and :cake: !

There are a good number of aces here who are 50 plus. Not sure about how many identify as non-binary though.

• 4 weeks later...

I'm NB and will be fifty soon. I only realized my transness last year. I'm closeted in real life though because I live in a regressive state and my family are all right-wingers.

• Like 1
  • 3 weeks later...
jay williams
On 2/21/2023 at 4:43 PM, Arrietty said:

I'm NB and will be fifty soon. I only realized my transness last year. I'm closeted in real life though because I live in a regressive state and my family are all right-wingers.

I live in an area where the vast majority of people are "right-wing," and in a "regressive state."  I am not nb, but I commonly see people who look, act and appear to be what I would call androgynous, meaning to me that it is not easy to know if a person is afab or amab. I have not noticed such persons being shunned or treated rudely. At the same time, I have not known anyone who insists on being referred to with a non-binary pronoun, or otherwise referred to as nb. At the risk of sounding ignorant and insensitive, what would change if an nb person came out of the closet in real life? 

6 hours ago, jay williams said:

I live in an area where the vast majority of people are "right-wing," and in a "regressive state."  I am not nb, but I commonly see people who look, act and appear to be what I would call androgynous, meaning to me that it is not easy to know if a person is afab or amab. I have not noticed such persons being shunned or treated rudely. At the same time, I have not known anyone who insists on being referred to with a non-binary pronoun, or otherwise referred to as nb. At the risk of sounding ignorant and insensitive, what would change if an nb person came out of the closet in real life? 

Their mental health, for one thing.  A closeted non-binary person is in the same position as a closeted MTF or FTM person:  people keep trying to twist you around into something you're not.  At least if you're not closeted, the pressure is out in the open and it's more socially acceptable for you to push back.

If you're comfortable with the gender you were assigned at birth and most of the expectations people place on you because of it, you might not be aware just how much pressure there is to conform—it isn't about obvious stuff like shunning, it's all assumptions, people staring, insults disguised as jokes, and so on.  Can you honestly say that you have never heard someone who, spotting an androgynous person that they know was assigned female at birth, says something along the lines of, "She'd be so pretty if she just dressed better"?  If that person is actually non-binary, that's hurtful in several different ways (it isn't great even if the target actually is a woman, but it isn't quite as bad), but that isn't necessarily obvious from the outside.

• Like 2